Home

NCAA 13 CPU Kickoff Return & Punt Return Problems

This is a discussion on NCAA 13 CPU Kickoff Return & Punt Return Problems within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49
NCAA 13 CPU Kickoff Return & Punt Return Problems

Since video evidence is better then words, 2 videos, one of around 10 punt returns and the other around 10 kick off returns by the CPU. In both videos you can clearly see the CPU returner suffer from tunnel vision. Straight up the middle is their desired path they take all the time. Don't matter they have daylight to the left sideline or to the right sideline, they go right up the middle.

To show how really bad it is, Texas is the return team, Texas St is the defense. Texas St defense is D, Texas offense is A. Texas punt returner is rated 91 for return, decent speed, good awareness. Texas kick off returners have return rating in the upper 90s, good awareness and speed in the mid 90s.

So one would think Texas would be returning back kickoffs and punt returns all day long. Considering they have speed and rated very high in the return rating. Add to that, they going up a team that over all have poor awareness ratings, poor tackling and poor pursuit ratings. So why isn't Texas doing that ??

Oh yeah that's right, the RETURN RATING don't mean jack in the NCAA and Madden series. Even though it clearly sees in EA Sports own strategy guides that it suppose to determine how well a player RETURNS kicks. But it doesn't do this, it never did. Don't matter if the returner has a 35 return rating or 99 return rating, they both going to get the same amount of yards.

The CPU special teams isn't a threat at all. Shouldn't be that way though, considering in real life teams fear a fast dangerous returner. Look at all the games during opening weekend. Look how many punts and kick offs that were returned for a TD. Hell you even had teams pooch kicking it to keep the ball away from returners that they knew was fast and dangerous.

You know what, I watched the EA Sports Game Play playbook webcast last night again. For those who are wondering, yeah it is still online, archived with all their other playbooks. During that playbook the developers clearly said the return logic was improved. Not only that, but new punt return formations. Where are these new punt return formations ???? I don't see ANY new punt return formations at all.

Mind boggling.........it really is. Seems like it would be a simple fix. They use ball carrier vision for regular running plays but yet they don't use ball carrier vision at all during punt returns and kick off returns. If they simply cut back across the field towards open space and stop running in a straight line directly into the heart of the defense, special teams would be so much better.

Tune it.....Increase ball carrier vision power by 100%. And next year, completely over haul the return rating. As it stands now, the return rating is POINTLESS and USELESS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NCAA 13 CPU Kickoff Return & Punt Return Problems

I've had the CPU return KOs on me for TDs (and I on the CPU)

Maybe I just suck tho.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

gmss = dedication

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Watching the Georgia Tech vs Virginia Tech game, I was reminded how important and crucial special team play is in football. Seen a Freshman punter take his eyes off the ball and the ball went over his head. Which lead to a TD.

Seen one punter get 3 punts downed in the 20. Which was half of his total punts he kicked all game. The other punter wasn't as good and only got 1 downed in the 20 out of 7 punts.

During kick offs:

34 yard return
21 yard return
20 yard return
18 yard return

You don't see that many yards on a kick off return in NCAA 13 at all. Special teams is a huge part of football. Battle for field position is important, very important. That is something EA Sports has never understood.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
Rookie

Maybe I just suck tho.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Rookie

I found kickoff and punt return to be a bit hard at first until got a stud back there with some speed and elusiveness. Now I return at leas one every other game while also averaging very well overall
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm currently in my 5th year of my Maryland dynasty, and I've run exactly one kickoff & one punt back for a TD in all of those seasons. In last year's game, I would run at least one back of both kinds every year. I rarely have to worry about the CPU returning kickoffs back because 90% of the time I kick the ball too deep or out of the end zone. Punts are a different story, but I usually try to angle them to the sideline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »