Home

Fundamental Purpose of Zone Defense

This is a discussion on Fundamental Purpose of Zone Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Fundamental Purpose of Zone Defense

For Passing situations more often than not, to get PRESSURE with your FRONT 3 or 4 while dropping the rest into coverage to minimize passing windows and completions.
-Yet we know it's 95% impossible to get pressure from D-Line when playing zone coverage
(without user controlling of course, and with "jump the snap" on balanced, no matter the O-Line rating on heisman)
-So the cpu QB sits there and waits for 1 of his crossing routes to come open because our CB and LB don't cover as well in zone as the CPU defenders
Question being why all the staff of former players and sports guys at EA continue to make zone defense, specifically Beast D-Lineman non Factors?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Fundamental Purpose of Zone Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa13
For Passing situations more often than not, to get PRESSURE with your FRONT 3 or 4 while dropping the rest into coverage to minimize passing windows and completions.
-Yet we know it's 95% impossible to get pressure from D-Line when playing zone coverage
(without user controlling of course, and with "jump the snap" on balanced, no matter the O-Line rating on heisman)
-So the cpu QB sits there and waits for 1 of his crossing routes to come open because our CB and LB don't cover as well in zone as the CPU defenders
Question being why all the staff of former players and sports guys at EA continue to make zone defense, specifically Beast D-Lineman non Factors?
Not really. If you want to really reduce passing windows and force imcompletions, run man coverage with superior defenders.

Completions are easier against zone because there are natural voids in the coverages. Not to mention, post pass concepts are designed to attack these structural inadequacies vs certain zone coverages (4 verts vs Cover 3, 3 Verticals vs Cover 2, Smash as a Hi/Low stretch of the Cover 2 Corner, Stick is a two vs one combo vs the Hook/Curl defender in Cover 3 or 4, etc.).

Zone is good for run defense. As a pass defense, you need to be in the right zone, or else it's completions all day (and you can usually figure out where to go with the ball before the ball is even snapped).
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
well if our dlineman played how the computer dllineman plays wen i see them doing zone it wouldn't be funny but i like how my dline does **** but slide against the olineman as if they dont wanna sack the qb
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Rookie

pembo0630's Arena

OVR: 2

The only time I ever go zone is when man coverage simply doesn't work. There have been some games where I recall not being able to stop opponents with my traditional mix of man and man blitzes, and was only able to stop them when I switched to zone. When I do Cover 2 / Cover 3, I always rush four to keep as much pressure as I can.

There are many flaws with zone coverage. The biggest to me is probably floating linebackers who 1) do not rush the quarterback despite an open lane and 2) do not do any good in coverage. In other words, they just ****ing stand there. There are so many pockets available if the quarterback has time, and the quarterback inherently has more time because it's zone coverage. The speed advantage of faster backs is negated too. The list goes on and on...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Rookie

pembo0630's Arena

Can't edit my original message. Sorry.

I believe the fundamental purpose of Zone defense is to alleviate a speed disadvantage. In other words, if your backs are not nearly as fast as their receivers, it isn't left up to one on one coverage that would likely result in your guys getting burned.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #6
Rookie

Seanzie's Arena

With zone defense, you're expecting to give up the underneath passes across the middle (i.e. drag routes, slant routes). You give that up, but hope you can tackle the receiver for just a 2 or 3 yard gain.

Zone defense is meant to protect against swing routes, deep middle routes, and 10-15 yard routes, generally speaking. It's not meant to be used against the run, but in the video game world, can sometimes be effective, although I tend to get gashed when I run Cover 3 against the run.

It's usually a good idea to run zones on 3rd and longs.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie
With zone defense, you're expecting to give up the underneath passes across the middle (i.e. drag routes, slant routes). You give that up, but hope you can tackle the receiver for just a 2 or 3 yard gain.

Zone defense is meant to protect against swing routes, deep middle routes, and 10-15 yard routes, generally speaking. It's not meant to be used against the run, but in the video game world, can sometimes be effective, although I tend to get gashed when I run Cover 3 against the run.

It's usually a good idea to run zones on 3rd and longs.
I know all that but none of that happens when the cpu has all day and runs all their routes to the first down marker. You probably don't play much otherwise you would know if you run zone on third down they WILL pick you apart and get a first down. 3rd down is MAn down.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Rookie

Finren84's Arena

Quote:
I know all that but none of that happens when the cpu has all day and runs all their routes to the first down marker. You probably don't play much otherwise you would know if you run zone on third down they WILL pick you apart and get a first down. 3rd down is MAn down.
I play a lot of man coverage and press my DB. I make sure both my safeties are deep for the long ball. I play a lot of nickel dime and dollar formations. If they are 3 wide sets its more nickel but will go to the dime look since they tend to flank the TE out so I can get a DB on them rather then a LB. I play a lot of zone blitz on my base 43 set and usually money. If they like crossing routes cover six works great with a press by the DB. It takes a lot of practice to figure out what works for. I take pride in playing defense and always try to keep the opponent scoreless. Not saying it always happens, but you always want to let them know you are here to play. Hate playing shootout games

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »