Home

Alternate Wildcat Formations

This is a discussion on Alternate Wildcat Formations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Alternate Wildcat Formations

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I gave the automotion Power play a try to make it a RB Speed Option but I struggled to make the pitch accurately. I'd love to get it to work though because that would be a killer package of plays.
I never thought to try to pitch on that play as I always just used it as an off tackle run and it worked pretty well.

As far as turning other formations into a wildcat I haven't done this as I'm a spread option guy so my QBs are great runners anyway. For me, the biggest issue with wildcat plays is that HBs can't audible. This is true of actual wildcat plays (and even then, using a QB still won't allow you to audible to other plays, but at least you can still flip the play if you want) but it's also true of using a HB as the QB to make your own wildcat. I'm big on formation audibles so if I wanna run right and the right is stacked, then I'll audible to a run to the left (these are usually calling a counter and audibling to a sweep and vice versa) or up the middle (I have 3 HB dives as formation audibles so I never call a dive as I'll call a sweep or counter or read option instead and then if the box isn't full, I'll just audible to my dive). With a HB at QB you can't do any of this.

Since my QBs are almost as effective at running as my HBs I don't have any HBs taking the snap, but if I didn't have good scramblers I might try this out.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Interesting you bring up Sanu because in NCAA 12 I had Chas Dodd go down with a season ending injury toward the end of the year, and I ran kind of a read option hybrid mixed with short passes with Sanu at QB for the rest of the season. I tried to do it mid game when Dodd went down with Rutgers playbook and failed miserably but after the game I switched to Oregon's playbook and Sanu did pretty well. Also probably the most fun Ive had on offense in a while.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I never thought to try to pitch on that play as I always just used it as an off tackle run and it worked pretty well.

As far as turning other formations into a wildcat I haven't done this as I'm a spread option guy so my QBs are great runners anyway. For me, the biggest issue with wildcat plays is that HBs can't audible. This is true of actual wildcat plays (and even then, using a QB still won't allow you to audible to other plays, but at least you can still flip the play if you want) but it's also true of using a HB as the QB to make your own wildcat. I'm big on formation audibles so if I wanna run right and the right is stacked, then I'll audible to a run to the left (these are usually calling a counter and audibling to a sweep and vice versa) or up the middle (I have 3 HB dives as formation audibles so I never call a dive as I'll call a sweep or counter or read option instead and then if the box isn't full, I'll just audible to my dive). With a HB at QB you can't do any of this.

Since my QBs are almost as effective at running as my HBs I don't have any HBs taking the snap, but if I didn't have good scramblers I might try this out.
I think the audibles may be tied to awareness. If you move a non-QB to QB in the depth chart their awareness is in the teens. Coupled with everything called cheese I wouldn't be surprised if its just not allowed in the programming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
I think the audibles may be tied to awareness. If you move a non-QB to QB in the depth chart their awareness is in the teens. Coupled with everything called cheese I wouldn't be surprised if its just not allowed in the programming.
HBs are definitely programmed to not be able to audible, which is what I was saying. I just tested your awareness theory by changing my QB's AWR to 0 and he could still audible to anything he wanted. It's not AWR but position (IE. anyone that's not a QB) that prevents guys from not being able to audible.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #13
Pro

Haze88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
HBs are definitely programmed to not be able to audible, which is what I was saying. I just tested your awareness theory by changing my QB's AWR to 0 and he could still audible to anything he wanted. It's not AWR but position (IE. anyone that's not a QB) that prevents guys from not being able to audible.
That's ridiculous though. I'm sure that in real life, whoever is taking the snap has a set of checks they can make at the line. If not the full set of audibles, Wildcat QB's should at least get to use the 4 formation audibles. Of course this is due to online whiners why this isn't an option. Anyone who can be torched by a regular WR/RB at QB shouldn't be playing a football game in the first place.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17

Shotgun-Spread...Put another running back at QB, along with leaving your starting RB at RB...Then you have...
QB Power
HB Direct
HB Draw
QB Draw
Jet Sweep
Load Option
WR Mid Screen

Wingbone Formation
Put a QB as your #2 RB in your depth chart, and on WB Pass use the HB Flip package, this would put your RB tossing it to the QB, or two QBs in the game, if you elect to keep your starting QB in the formation....Also, by using the package and not formation subs, you still have the option to run normal plays with the regular RB

Ace-Big
Again, put a QB as #2 HB on depth chart and do the Spell HB package so you have the QB at the HB postion....Works well for the HB Pass...

WR Quick
Fk Quick HB Dive
Speed Option
HB Pass
Flea Flicker

Downside to the above though would be that you can't switch out your RBs when the starter gets tired...

Shotgun-Heavy...using the Wildcat sub package...

Ace-Bunch
End Around

I-Form Normal
HB Pass
End Around
Flea Flicker

Shotgun-Slot F Wing
QB Power
HB Toss
Speed Option
Mtn Triple Option
HB Power
HB Zone
Read Option

Last edited by TN - BRAVES FAN; 10-01-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Pro

Haze88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
Shotgun-Spread...Put another running back at QB, along with leaving your starting RB at RB...Then you have...
QB Power
HB Direct
HB Draw
QB Draw
Jet Sweep
Load Option
WR Mid Screen

Wingbone Formation
Put a QB as your #2 RB in your depth chart, and on WB Pass use the HB Flip package, this would put your RB tossing it to the QB, or two QBs in the game, if you elect to keep your starting QB in the formation....Also, by using the package and not formation subs, you still have the option to run normal plays with the regular RB

Ace-Big
Again, put a QB as #2 HB on depth chart and do the Spell HB package so you have the QB at the HB postion....Works well for the HB Pass...

WR Quick
Fk Quick HB Dive
Speed Option
HB Pass
Flea Flicker

Downside to the above though would be that you can't switch out your RBs when the starter gets tired...

Shotgun-Heavy...using the Wildcat sub package...

Ace-Bunch
End Around

I-Form Normal
HB Pass
End Around
Flea Flicker

Shotgun-Slot F Wing
QB Power
HB Toss
Speed Option
Mtn Triple Option
HB Power
HB Zone
Read Option
Never thought about bringing in an undercenter wildcat formation, although wingbone/flexbone wouldn't be bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »