Home

Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job.

This is a discussion on Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Why is it so hard to get a big time HC job.

Why don't ppl see an issue with guys winning national championships with teams like Memphis and San Jose State after 1 or 2 years? I's just my opinion but I see a huge issue with that. This is a fantasy game based on a real life game I understand that, but I would think a guy would want to struggle a bit more at smaller schools and make things a little more realistic. Either raise the difficulty levels, make the game harder using sliders, sim a few games a year, or maybe do all three.

I have a Cal online dynasty that I use for recruiting only and a Cal dynasty offline that I control everything in. In my offline dynasty before each game I have a chioce between three different slider sets based on my skill level. Hard, Harder and Very Difficult. I basically spin a wheel and whatever set number it falls on that is the slider set I will use. I also sim 2 games a season. That's just my thing. If guys found big success after 5-8 seasons rather than 1-2 seasons maybe the coaching carousel wouldn't be such a big issue.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #18
Rookie

mgab94's Arena

OVR: 0

That's weird, In my online dynasty on Heisman i got offered a HC job at Oregon after 3 years. And Oregon is my favorite team sooo..... yeah.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #19
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

I decided to do a sim dynasty this evening to further look at the issue. I started as OC at a cupcake tb school (UALR my alma mater).

Playing a soft schedule we went 9-4 first year, then 7-5 the following and I then took the OC job at Clemson. We went 7-6, then 11-3, then 13-1. Here is where **** gets crazy.

We played Michigan (12-1) in the National Championship and they beat us 38-31. We were still #1 in both polls. I did not get prompted to put the National Title Trophy in my case but again finished #1 in both the Coaches and Media polls.

Following season I took my first head coaching job taking over Wyoming (who is playing in an expanded Big East). We managed to go 13-0 (beating four teams that finished the year with 9 wins) and beat a 9-4 LSU team in the National Championship game 52-17. Their were two teams from BCS conferences that finished with 1 loss but the nod went to a 3 loss LSU team.

Following the year my Prestige was A+ but when we got to the carousel it auto dropped to D+. Why I have no clue! There were actually some good job openings that I never got an offer for as they went to OC's and DC's. I decided to leave Wyoming and take over a 2* Ole Miss squad. As soon as I accepted my prestige jumped back to A+.

So long story short the patch appears to have some messed up poll logic and the carousel favors coordinators a lot more than current HC's.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #20
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown2600
Why don't ppl see an issue with guys winning national championships with teams like Memphis and San Jose State after 1 or 2 years? I's just my opinion but I see a huge issue with that. This is a fantasy game based on a real life game I understand that, but I would think a guy would want to struggle a bit more at smaller schools and make things a little more realistic. Either raise the difficulty levels, make the game harder using sliders, sim a few games a year, or maybe do all three.

I have a Cal online dynasty that I use for recruiting only and a Cal dynasty offline that I control everything in. In my offline dynasty before each game I have a chioce between three different slider sets based on my skill level. Hard, Harder and Very Difficult. I basically spin a wheel and whatever set number it falls on that is the slider set I will use. I also sim 2 games a season. That's just my thing. If guys found big success after 5-8 seasons rather than 1-2 seasons maybe the coaching carousel wouldn't be such a big issue.
Took me about 5 or 6 years to get to that point at Memphis. I would say the rankings are off and the year I went undefeated I shouldn't have played for the MNC, but I don't think the programs rise was unrealistic something like (7-6, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 12-0, 11-1, 10-2)
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #21
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketScout
I decided to do a sim dynasty this evening to further look at the issue. I started as OC at a cupcake tb school (UALR my alma mater).

Playing a soft schedule we went 9-4 first year, then 7-5 the following and I then took the OC job at Clemson. We went 7-6, then 11-3, then 13-1. Here is where **** gets crazy.

We played Michigan (12-1) in the National Championship and they beat us 38-31. We were still #1 in both polls. I did not get prompted to put the National Title Trophy in my case but again finished #1 in both the Coaches and Media polls.

Following season I took my first head coaching job taking over Wyoming (who is playing in an expanded Big East). We managed to go 13-0 (beating four teams that finished the year with 9 wins) and beat a 9-4 LSU team in the National Championship game 52-17. Their were two teams from BCS conferences that finished with 1 loss but the nod went to a 3 loss LSU team.

Following the year my Prestige was A+ but when we got to the carousel it auto dropped to D+. Why I have no clue! There were actually some good job openings that I never got an offer for as they went to OC's and DC's. I decided to leave Wyoming and take over a 2* Ole Miss squad. As soon as I accepted my prestige jumped back to A+.

So long story short the patch appears to have some messed up poll logic and the carousel favors coordinators a lot more than current HC's.
I assure you this was a problem before any patch. I did not buy the game this year; I rented it right when it came out. My problem with this game was in fact the carousel. I wasn't going to buy it if it wasn't right. I did years and years of simming to test it out. It has always favored coordinators as opposed to head coaches. This is because like I mentioned earlier in the post; as an HC, you are locked into your contract. You cannot jump ship until it expires. Even at the point, you have to hope a big job comes open or you will not get it. If you are a coordinator, you can land almost any job you dream of. Its logic is severely off and needs lots of attention.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #22
Pro

patsfan1993's Arena

OVR: 8

I think there might be some messed up poll logic after the patch as well. The top three were consensus at the end of year. My buddy #1, CPU #2, Me #3. All undefeated from BCS conferences. My buddy beats CPU by 30. I beat #4 by 30. Final poll results remained the same undefeated user at #1 and #3. One lose CPU at #2.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
I assure you this was a problem before any patch. I did not buy the game this year; I rented it right when it came out. My problem with this game was in fact the carousel. I wasn't going to buy it if it wasn't right. I did years and years of simming to test it out. It has always favored coordinators as opposed to head coaches. This is because like I mentioned earlier in the post; as an HC, you are locked into your contract. You cannot jump ship until it expires. Even at the point, you have to hope a big job comes open or you will not get it. If you are a coordinator, you can land almost any job you dream of. Its logic is severely off and needs lots of attention.
The carousel favoring the Coordinators was prepatch, the poll logic was not. Since the game has come out I have simmed over 50+ seasons deep in to dynasty mode and have never seen the loser of the National Title game still ranked #1 in both polls. Most of my long sim dynasties I have never paid attention to the job logic as I started as a OC and waited until I got a big school job then my follow up jobs were always rebuilding a once fallen power or building a no history team.

Also you can jump contracts as a HC. You do not have to play out your entire contract to move schools.

I am going to do some more testing in a few days, but overall this looks like typical EA in patch something/break something else.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #24
Banned

Wilson16NCSU's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87

This is just false all over. I'm the Head Coach at South Carolina and after my first year I was offered EVERY single head coaching job that came open even though I still had years left on my contract. Reason I got so many offers was because I just won the National Title.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »