Home

This game is so close to greatness now.

This is a discussion on This game is so close to greatness now. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
This game is so close to greatness now.

In my opinion of course. There has been some discussion of it in other threads, but I wanted to talk about it in more detail. Yes, it took four patches, and many legacy issues are still hanging around, e.g. no pass interference calls, but this game is playing really well now.

As far as the number one gameplay bugaboo, the safety play for the CPU, playing on almost default Heisman, with nine minute quarters, I might see a half a dozen plays where they botch the coverage(that's with me looking at replays), and with settings that I'm using, the CPU gets enough pressure on me that I only have time to hit those guys that are coming free 2 or 3 times a game, and I have to see it in real time. We know that it is a setting glitch that should have been fixed, but it probably is mirroring the actual number of blow coverages that occur every game in college football these days.

So many other things though seem to have been tightened up quite a bit.

Blocking is better, i.e. less matador plays by FB's, pulling G's, and WR's
the left end doesn't seem to be as overpowered in comparison to the right end now
LB's play much better in their zones now
tackling animations are more varied and tackle ratings seem to matter more as well
With the exception of PI, penalty sliders are more sensitive/effective
fatigue works better resulting in more carries for back up RB's

I could list a lot more, but the most impressive improvement is the CPU playcalling and execution. For me on Heisman right now, IMO, the CPU RB and QB AI is the best its been in a decade, but without the Robo qualities. I have an A+ team across the board and it was so nice in the last game to see the CPU 93 OVR, star running back play like a star player and still be effective. For the first time in many, many years, the the CPU RB was hitting the right holes, running north-south instead of east-west for no reason. He had 24 carries for 165, with most of the runs in between the tackles for 4 or 5 yards an occasional juke or spin when necessary, but mainly just running downhill.

The QB wasn't as good a player so he made a few mistakes in the passing game, but he didn't get sacked on any screens, or scramble into tackles brainlessly. He played the way you would expect an average QB to play against the number one team in the country.

I'm going to start over in my dynasty, it's going to be really fun building my team back up, now that recruiting and gameplay have been improved so much.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: This game is so close to greatness now.

So the last patch tightened all of this up? I don't know, I see so many conflicting statements on these boards its hard to tell now. I'm also still wondering if xan is going to convert his Madden hex global editor to NCAA. If so, I might be picking these titles up again.

Even with all of these upgrades, the actual player movement is what rubs me the wrong way. That needs a major overhaul.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
In my opinion of course. There has been some discussion of it in other threads, but I wanted to talk about it in more detail. Yes, it took four patches, and many legacy issues are still hanging around, e.g. no pass interference calls, but this game is playing really well now.

As far as the number one gameplay bugaboo, the safety play for the CPU, playing on almost default Heisman, with nine minute quarters, I might see a half a dozen plays where they botch the coverage(that's with me looking at replays), and with settings that I'm using, the CPU gets enough pressure on me that I only have time to hit those guys that are coming free 2 or 3 times a game, and I have to see it in real time. We know that it is a setting glitch that should have been fixed, but it probably is mirroring the actual number of blow coverages that occur every game in college football these days.

So many other things though seem to have been tightened up quite a bit.

Blocking is better, i.e. less matador plays by FB's, pulling G's, and WR's
the left end doesn't seem to be as overpowered in comparison to the right end now
LB's play much better in their zones now
tackling animations are more varied and tackle ratings seem to matter more as well
With the exception of PI, penalty sliders are more sensitive/effective
fatigue works better resulting in more carries for back up RB's

I could list a lot more, but the most impressive improvement is the CPU playcalling and execution. For me on Heisman right now, IMO, the CPU RB and QB AI is the best its been in a decade, but without the Robo qualities. I have an A+ team across the board and it was so nice in the last game to see the CPU 93 OVR, star running back play like a star player and still be effective. For the first time in many, many years, the the CPU RB was hitting the right holes, running north-south instead of east-west for no reason. He had 24 carries for 165, with most of the runs in between the tackles for 4 or 5 yards an occasional juke or spin when necessary, but mainly just running downhill.

The QB wasn't as good a player so he made a few mistakes in the passing game, but he didn't get sacked on any screens, or scramble into tackles brainlessly. He played the way you would expect an average QB to play against the number one team in the country.

I'm going to start over in my dynasty, it's going to be really fun building my team back up, now that recruiting and gameplay have been improved so much.
I agree with all of this. The main thing I've noticed is smarter QB play across the board, but I have really noticed a larger disparity between high awareness QBs and low awareness QBs. I had noticed this very early on and confirmed it recently playing several games against Ohio State. I raised Braxton Miller's Awr and BCV edited to 85. Then I played several games against them with his Awr at default in the 60s. It was night and day.

I've also noticed better real assignment AI by all blockers. That is why In FistofRage's slider thread most guys are having an easier time running the ball. I was really upset when the DB glitch was not addressed, but I've learned to deal with it.

Last edited by Sundown2600; 10-28-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i am going to try some sliders again because it may be only me.....

i have this game on the brink of playing well EXCEPT for the AI playcallng....

as i have said in countless threads the cpu playcalling is dog*&^(...

every single third and long they call 4 verts, and force a jumpball.....EVERY DAMN TIME, no matter if its USC or Colorado state.....no matter if its a freshman or redshirt senior at QB...

i play on AA, i dont believe hesman changes playcalling but i will try

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6

TLDR but this game is far from perfect. Heisman is too BSie and AA is too easy. Game just doesn't seem realistic enough. Needs to be more like All Pro which is like 5 years old... Heisman makes my guys forget what man coverage is and their pocket passers somehow break 3 tackles before going down.

Last edited by GruffyMcGuiness; 10-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Rookie

Hornguy105's Arena

OVR: 0

I don't know what you guys are talking about the CPU play calling is amazing now, for example I was playing Nebraska and it was 3 and 6 so I was expecting somthing in the air but they call a HB Draw. It completely caught me off guard. I've been getting drove down field constantly, but maybe my defense just sucks.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7

Until safety bug is fixed I can't agree ... or play this game.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Rookie

mjwickstrom1's Arena

OVR: 1

Blocking still needs a lot of improvement imo. CPU coverages, especialyl safeties, seem a lot better in the most recent patch though.
NHL - Columbus Blue Jackets, Pittsburgh Penguins
NCAA - Kentucky Wildcats , Xavier Musketeers, Auburn Tigers
NASCAR - Jeff Gordon

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »