Home

Dynamic Injuries "Wear and Tear"

This is a discussion on Dynamic Injuries "Wear and Tear" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Dynamic Injuries "Wear and Tear"

I put a little thought into injuries and how I wish they would make injuries in the game to make them a more integral part of managing your players and strategy. Here is what I came up with. I'll try to not go overboard in detail as I could write for quite a while on this, so I'm trying to keep it fairly short.

I would like to see them add "wear and tear" into the game. For example, the more hits your player takes, the more he is likely to get injured. He could have slight injuries such as bad bruises or a tweak that slow him down, but he will play through if you want him to. Previous injuries could be also be reaggravated. If playing an injured player he should also be affected by the injury and correctly affected depending on the injury, so an ankle injury would affect attributes such as speed and agility.

Having "wear and tear" would allow you to decide whether the injury is slowing down the player too much or if the threat of further injuring the player is too much. An injury could also slow a player down, but have virtually no risk of further injury. This should be dynamic week to week and they could even use graphs to allow you to analyze your players' "health". Between games and during bye weeks your players would of course improve in condition, but the following week may still be slowed by injuries.

For example, a player twists his ankle and is hobbled during a game. He could play or you could sit him. Since it is an ankle injury his (speed, acc, stamina, etc) could take a hit, but he could play on if he was valuable enough (ie: pocket passing qb). There would also be a chance of hurting his ankle more from taking a hits. The following week the player should heal, and by the next game would be improved although may not be 100% and possibly still a bit gimpy depending on how badly he injured his ankle. Throughout the rest of the season and possibly his career this injury could pop up (with there being a higher chance of it happening sooner than later).

I think this would add a very different strategy in managing player injuries, and how one plays the game. It would also help to keep some players from running up the score and padding their stats with their first team.

Any thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
MVP

speedy43's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Dynamic Injuries "Wear and Tear"

I like the idea. I know it's been mentioned here before but it would be cool to implement the equipment such as the ankle/elbow/knee braces, flak jacket, and back protector to give you a little bump in the inj rating. Actualy give them some real use in the game other than just being cosmetic. If you get an ankle injury, giving your guy an ankle brace would help the recovery or his ability to play through it. Same with knee injuries. Flak jacket would help prevent rib injuries. So on and so forth.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy43
I like the idea. I know it's been mentioned here before but it would be cool to implement the equipment such as the ankle/elbow/knee braces, flak jacket, and back protector to give you a little bump in the inj rating. Actualy give them some real use in the game other than just being cosmetic. If you get an ankle injury, giving your guy an ankle brace would help the recovery or his ability to play through it. Same with knee injuries. Flak jacket would help prevent rib injuries. So on and so forth.
I kinda like this idea except then you could just give your players a ton of equipment to get the best injury rating, unless they also make a bit restrictive of your player's abilities (would be very little, though). I suppose you could use the equipment when a player gets injured to get them back on the field, but there would still be risk of further injury, but less of a chance than wearing no brace (or whatever). I'm sorry, but I'm thinking and typing at the same time so I may be jumping around, but I'm liking the idea more in the sense of using it after a player gets injured. I may have mistaken what you meant about the equipment as I wouldn't want it to do too much as far helping a noninjured player unless it restricts them a bit, also. I am liking the risk/reward of sending a player out with equipment such as a brace to get them back in the game and having the brace improve their mobility from the injury and making it less likely to further injure the player, but still have that risk of playing them injured.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
MVP

speedy43's Arena

Yeah, I didn't mean it to be like a cure-all sort of thing with huge bonuses. I wouldn't want them to go overboard with it but just make it somewhat realistic.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy43
Yeah, I didn't mean it to be like a cure-all sort of thing with huge bonuses. I wouldn't want them to go overboard with it but just make it somewhat realistic.
The only thing that I would personally not want would be that you just add equipment to make your players more durable because then why not just add all the equipment, which is why I was saying that I would want more to it like it could be a little restrictive to the players, and/or that you use the equipment for after a player gets injured.

I'm not positive if you are talking about adding equipment to players to help their durability, or to help with injuries, or both, but it would be a good add either way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Rise up!

GruffyMcGuiness's Arena

OVR: 6
I like that idea. The injuries they have no are pretty dumb. I'd like to actually see linemen get hurt because it seems like only QB, HB, WR and LB's get hurt.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
MVP

speedy43's Arena

A little bit of both, depending on the equipment. Things like back pads and flak jackets are for helping to reduce certain injuries. Maybe adding those would lower the frequency of things like rib injuries, not a boost to total injury or durability. Ankle braces or wraps would be more on the rehab side of things.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Pro

speedtrucker's Arena

OVR: 4

they used to have it in one of the last gen games, either madden or NCAA but if you hurt your knee and came back while probable or questionable then you would be wearing a knee brace. purely cosmetic but it was a nice touch.

what you'd have to do in your examples, it might have to be a subset of ratings. injuries would have to have their baseline stat(say player X has a 75 injury rating and recovery was 90 rated), wearing knee braces provides a subset rating of +3. player X sprains his knee for a subset -10 injury and -10 recovery rating, now has a a 75(-10+3) or 68 injury and a 90(-10+3) or 83 recovery rating. so basically prior to being injured the braces and equipment don't offer a boost to baseline ratings but rather an offset of injury rating hits.

just making it so wearing all equipment can't give you a boost over baseline but rather a boost during injury and recovery time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »