Home

Does anyone want to hear about an unstoppable play?

This is a discussion on Does anyone want to hear about an unstoppable play? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-04-2003, 08:09 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Does anyone want to hear about an unstoppable play?

Ok, I will write it up at lunch and post it here. If you guys like to pass, you are gonna LOVE this play.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:12 PM   #10
We are...

psufan's Arena

OVR: 12

*cough*

+1
Old 11-05-2003, 10:34 PM   #11
Animals as L e a d e r s

Cataschism's Arena

OVR: 11

So........... what is it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2003, 08:45 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 11

I know of one that is almost unstoppable.

In the Kansas State playbook, Ace=Normal, there is the Option Pass. THe slot receiver will make a slant to the middle of the field and be literally wide open 80% of the time. The only problem is, that because its an option, getting sacked is really easy, but if you get a chance to throw it and have a fast WR, then its a TD.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:59 PM   #13
Darth_Dorn

OVR:

That option pass play is kiler. If you have a fast QB, I think it should be a staple in your offense. That WR that runs the slat pattern is wide open just about every time. If he's not open, chances are you have a at most two guys coming at your QB, at which you can opt to go with the option.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:57 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 17

Okay, sorry I have been so long to post my play. Before I do, I just want to say for the record that I have found it to be nearly unstoppable to the point that I almost feel guilty calling it. Also, I play on heisman with the CPU defensive AI turned up to 20 and knockdowns at 20. The other 3 sliders for their D are default 10.

The play is Shotgun split, TE drag. This play is awesome. If you have a good TE, WR, QB, good night, you can post rediculous numbers. First I will describe my reads and how I run the play, then I will give some numbers describing my success with this play.

First thing I do is read the safeties and defensive front. This gets a little complex only because I am typing this up and I can't show all of you on my TV but it really is simple. I will assume that the automatic shifts are still in place (default setting). The same reads can be made if they are manual with motion but would take me too long to type up this morning. Here are my steps of progression:

1) Presnap read on the FS. If he moves up showing that he is in man coverage, probably on the HB, then start thinking TD. You now know to make 2 route audibles at the line. First audible the TE into block and the right WR to run an out to the right side. You want the TE to block giving you 8 blockers and you want the right WR to take his man out of the play to the right. This ladies and gentlemen leaves man to man coverage to the left hand side WR. Here is where the practice comes in. It is all about timing. I only take a 2 yard drop at most from the snap (already in shotgun) and wait for the WR to make his break. Throw the ball a half-second after he breaks with about 65% velocity. Practice this, practice this, practice this and good night charlie. I can actually get the CB to ball on his rear about 40% of the time. If you throw it at precisely the right time, the CB will break on the ball when he is turning around causing him to fall to the ground. With the FS sprinting up to the line of scrimmage and the right WR clearing the right and the SS running up.... TD baby every time!!! This is the butter play and you eventually will feel guilty running it even against heisman with AI=20. I have gone for 600 yards receiving in one game to one guy in 7 min quarters.

2) SS moves up but FS stays back. There are multiple things you can do here but it depends on your personell. Hint: if you put in a good WR at TE for this formation it is absolutely not fair. I use to do this but don't any more even with my turned up settings cause I was passing for over 1,000 yards per game which screws up all stats. I only use a TE which is a big disadvantage. If you have a good TE or a WR in at the TE position then the drag route is usually beautiful if you let it clear. A linebacker or SS will have him in coverage. If you get the LB just wait for your TE to out run him and lead him for big yardage. If the SS runs with him the pass is there sooner. Hit is and take your 5 yards. Also, if I see this D and I don't audible out, I usually have my right WR run an in route. With the SS clearing to cover the TE the in is there ALL DAY LONG!!! You only have 7 man pass protection here so pay attention to the rush. Typically when I see this defense I will audible to the I formation counter lead play and motion the WR to the left side. This clears the whole right side of the field out for an easy 10-30 yard gain. Again, you will feel like you are cheating even with defensive AI=20 on heisman. And the last play I audible to is the I formation pass play with the TE drag route. It is located just to the left of the counter lead play on the play calling screen. Simply audible your TE into block and your HB to block the weak side giving you 8 man max protection. Then drop back and read the FS. If he runs hard to the right throw to the left post. If he lingers hit the right post. Both of these are money 15-20 yard gains against this defense.

3) Neither FS moves implying 2 deep zone coverage. Here is where the TE becomes key. This means that the linebackers will be in zones or maning up the TE. Either way, if you TE is good, lights out. My TE has broken every record there is in college football against this defense. Simply throw it to him when he opens up. In the case where they run a 2 deep zone man under coverage it is smartest to tuck the ball in and run. There is no one to tackle you so running is easy even for the slowest of QBs. Also note, I typically change the right WR route to an out so that if they do blitz without showing it I can still hit the left WR on his post route. I lose the extra TE block but usually doesn't matter. Another thing I like to do against this defense when my TE gets tired is audible to the I formation WR posts just like above only hot route the TE into block and hit the HB on the swing route. This is also money in that the HB almost always catches it and if the LB are in zone, they are pealing back giving me my 5 yards.

I know this might be confusing but feel free to ask questions. I truely have found that using this as my base play has made me nearly unstoppable along with my audibles. I can counter anything the CPU or human throws at me and this is with a QB with 54 speed. If I put in a fast QB it really becomes even more unfair because I can tuck the ball and run right when my friends are doing everything possible to stop the passes to the left.

Again, at heisman with CPU AI=20 and knockdowns=20 I still throw all over everyone to the tune of 500 yards per game. I also average over 200 yards per game running mostly the counter lead in case number 2. What I forgot to mention above in case number 2: run the counter lead against a 4-3 and knickle. It doesn't work as well against a 3-4 or dime. I usually go to the I-formation posts for those.

With my high octane offense I average about 2 punts per year in my dynasty. This is only when my guys refuse to catch the ball and the CPU has all the momentum. I haven't had to punt in my past 2 season at all however because of my recruits.

Fire some questions at me. If you are going to flame why not save youself some time and go to another thread. I hope this helps some of you out.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #15
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I'm curious how it can be fun knowing you can't be stopped. I think that's half the fun, knowing the computer can put up a defensive stop at any time. Now, I'll admit, I run the same dozen or so pass plays, but that's a lot more than calling the same play over and over again. I found that play in my UCF dynasty last night before I saw this post and had my tight end catch 9 balls with it and the TE out, but it didn't seem unstopable at the time, and I will never use it nearly as much as you.

My guess is you can do this with more than just that play, but my suggestion is to use another playbook and/or a team without a recieving tight end. Unless, of course, you're are enjoying this, but I can't see how it can be fun... i really can't. I did that stuff with NFL2K on DC(put it on rookie and picked the all pros and just ran Terrel Davis on the bounce outside all game)... that was the last time, 4 years ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2003, 10:18 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 12

Just so you know, there are a lot of "money" plays that you can find holes in the defense easily by reading the coverages. I personally like I-Twins double cross myself. You can motion the HB out either direction, so read the coverage, and if they are playing zone, motion him out so you have I-Trips on the left side and the HB will be wide open on a swing route for 20+ yards a play. If they are in man the second CB will come over to cover the twins side, then you know you have your HB man up on either a safety or LB. If the safety comes up to the line motion the HB out to the other side and then call a hot route for a fly and he will blow past the coverage every time. If he's not fast enough to beat the LB then you can motion him back out to the left to give you I-Trips again and then hit the outside reciever when he's on the corner part of his route going back to the sideline. If you want to ensure that you complete this do a 5 step drop and pull the ball down, running outside your LT. This will give you a better angle and make it pretty much impossible for the safety to make a play on the ball. Once you get outside the tackle box bring up your icons again and you'll be able to hit your X reciever (one running toward the sideline, rounded post corner route) every time.

Anyway there are a lot of plays like this.. Lots of simple out route combinations will toast both coverages. You just have to be able to read the D.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »