Home

QB read Glitch?

This is a discussion on QB read Glitch? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: QB read Glitch?

QB Read as-in Read Option or Zone Read in other formations? If so it's not broken. I run the play a lot in my offline dynasty. I will say sometimes the CBs glitch by dropping back and stopping. But when I see this I dive down to the ground to end the play.

I feel I'm pretty good at running the play and I don't see anything eye popping in the stats. One play it'll work great and I'll get 10 or 12 yards. The next play I'll get 4 or 5 and then (even with the DE crashing down) a NB or DT will come off a block and drop me for a loss.

If the DE is crashing down a lot, your QB should be your leading rusher since he's the one with the ball in his hands more often (see Braxton Miller). The only issues would be if your QB has a 10 yard average and is constantly racking up 150-200 yards a game. Other than that a good 6-7ish yard average and going over 1,000 yards for the season with a QB is not unrealistic at all.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhendricks316
I love the Read Option play. But when the defender follows the running back, a fast quarterback will easily rack up yards. If the DE stays, the RB runs the opposite way with lead blockers.

That is the entire point of the play? Do you not watch football?

Read option could not be easier to stop, just don't sit there in base defense expecting 4 defensive linemen to stop that play. Bring pressure, use spy's and contain, slant your line, use coaching adjustments, etc etc.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
NiNja

Soonerfan14's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25

That is the entire point of the play? Do you not watch football?

Read option could not be easier to stop, just don't sit there in base defense expecting 4 defensive linemen to stop that play. Bring pressure, use spy's and contain, slant your line, use coaching adjustments, etc etc.
Yup the key is blitzing. I control a linebacker and I always make him manually flow towards the way the qb would take off and more often than most my backside D doesn't let the RB get far.

Oklahoma Sooners
Dallas Cowboys

Madden 17 CFM's
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

I used to run the zone read almost exclusively as a part of my spread option attack. Yes, for whatever reason, the computer will make tackling the QB (if he keeps) almost impossible if the read is executed right. I've had numerous times where I call it right on defense knowing it's coming only to have my DE or OLB run into the QB without either making the tackle or just bouncing off of him. This happens more often than not. You can set your line to watch the QB... it does ALMOST nothing. Out of 10 reads, you can stop 4 or so. Never spy the QB if he does a read play. Your spied player will suck up to the line and get blocked instead of reading the QB. It's quite ridiculous.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlawguy
Qb read is broken. Shouldn't have to manually play a LB to stop a play. I don't mind the play picking up yards, but defense almost exclusively flows to RB. In our dynasty, the play has been banned for a couple of months because too easy to abuse. The Qbs were leading rushers on every user team.
Why shouldn't you actively have to play your game? You know how to stop it and are choosing not to? Odd...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #14
Uber Blazer/Beaver Fan

blazer003's Arena

OVR: 10

To me there are two issues here.

A full house backfield read option is different than just running the read option out of, say, a random shotgun formation.

Balanced full house formations can be, for all intents and purposes, unstoppable with any defense. I have played against a few that have been nearly unstoppable.

The last two years the linebackers and safeties don't do nearly enough to read a play and as soon as the AI recognizes the run, will immediately start heading to the backfield, instead of getting in position to make a play. This happens in any run formation to the outside. The result is that you have to play as the safety or linebacker to make the play yourself. However, in a full house backfield there are enough blockers that they can pick up when you blitz every single defender and still get outside and still have enough blockers to pick you off and spring the run.

"So don't blitz!" some will say. Well, then, if you're playing against someone good, you're conceding the short runs. I have tried doing so many things, and if someone isn't great at running and just expects to get outside every time, I can stop them. And boy do I enjoy frustrating them that they can't pull their cheesey crap. But those smart players, especially ones that will also mix in a pass for a TD every now and then, are the worst.

The bottom line is this: If it can beat the CPU AI 100% of the time, it's cheese. Comeback routes against anything except press coverage? Cheese. If it only happened against coverage where guys were supposed to play off/play deep zones/or once in a while? That would be just fine. But I shouldn't have to key my whole defense to stopping one type of play over and over again.

But that's the nature of these games. I don't blame EA completely for stuff like the comeback routes. When it takes a couple months for people to really start abusing something, I can't blame EA for not catching it.

But stuff like losing contain (or never even trying to contain, really) every time, for two years in a row. That's frustrating.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
Why shouldn't you actively have to play your game? You know how to stop it and are choosing not to? Odd...
He didn't say he shouldn't have to manually play the game. He said he shouldn't have to play a LB.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
Pro

amoore0192's Arena

OVR: 7

Blitz an olb off the edge the qb is reading...it's easy to figure this out bc it'll be the same side the rb is on. That's why spread teams started reading the front side end in real life instead of the backside end. If you do this the crashing end will give the qb a pull read then the blitzing lb will be there waiting.

CUSTOM COVERS
&
CUSTOM UNIFORM DESIGNS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »