Home

QB read Glitch?

This is a discussion on QB read Glitch? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 AM   #17
Banned

jaybird2585's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: QB read Glitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer003
To me there are two issues here.

A full house backfield read option is different than just running the read option out of, say, a random shotgun formation.

Balanced full house formations can be, for all intents and purposes, unstoppable with any defense. I have played against a few that have been nearly unstoppable.

The last two years the linebackers and safeties don't do nearly enough to read a play and as soon as the AI recognizes the run, will immediately start heading to the backfield, instead of getting in position to make a play. This happens in any run formation to the outside. The result is that you have to play as the safety or linebacker to make the play yourself. However, in a full house backfield there are enough blockers that they can pick up when you blitz every single defender and still get outside and still have enough blockers to pick you off and spring the run.

"So don't blitz!" some will say. Well, then, if you're playing against someone good, you're conceding the short runs. I have tried doing so many things, and if someone isn't great at running and just expects to get outside every time, I can stop them. And boy do I enjoy frustrating them that they can't pull their cheesey crap. But those smart players, especially ones that will also mix in a pass for a TD every now and then, are the worst.

The bottom line is this: If it can beat the CPU AI 100% of the time, it's cheese. Comeback routes against anything except press coverage? Cheese. If it only happened against coverage where guys were supposed to play off/play deep zones/or once in a while? That would be just fine. But I shouldn't have to key my whole defense to stopping one type of play over and over again.

But that's the nature of these games. I don't blame EA completely for stuff like the comeback routes. When it takes a couple months for people to really start abusing something, I can't blame EA for not catching it.

But stuff like losing contain (or never even trying to contain, really) every time, for two years in a row. That's frustrating.
i think you had the best response so far, but I don't think i explained it clear enough and i also left out that he ran no huddle. Not only is it Full House, which means he could have optioned either way, but with the no huddle, he could flip the play with out me being able to tell. I did have some success in that game by bringing in a Normal Dime with four DEs and putting them in a QB spy, but then he would just hand it off up the middle, for atleast 5 yds.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird2585
i think you had the best response so far, but I don't think i explained it clear enough and i also left out that he ran no huddle. Not only is it Full House, which means he could have optioned either way, but with the no huddle, he could flip the play with out me being able to tell. I did have some success in that game by bringing in a Normal Dime with four DEs and putting them in a QB spy, but then he would just hand it off up the middle, for atleast 5 yds.
Even if he huddled he could flip the play without you knowing it.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 11-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyed
Who did you user? And if that guy is in your OD get rid of him. That is A BS move with the RB sub.
LOL this guy can't be serious. Kicking a guy out of a league for subbing a RB for FB.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfins
LOL this guy can't be serious. Kicking a guy out of a league for subbing a RB for FB.
Amazing what some people consider unacceptable, eh?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 2

We ended up banning the read option from our OD. All the players in the league are pretty good. We play Heisman on extremely heavy weighted CPU sliders. The CPU doesn't run the read very much but when they do its usually for good gain. That is no big deal (I would actually like to see the CPU run the play more to make it more challenging). The problem was user read. Theoretically, when you spy the qb you should be able to stop the qb run, but the spy is broken on read. There would be plays on read where the whole team would run with the rb and no one would stay home on the QB. It was increasingly frustrating to see slow user Qbs accumulate huge rushing totals. This meant that the only way to stop the QB run was to user control the player designed to account for QB. While this can be done to limit the gain, the user gets stuck playing one defensive player the whole game just to limit that single play that is unreasonably effective ... in our OD, every user team was running read option to excess ... we concluded though after a couple of seasons that the play was broken enough to ban it.

I agree with the posters that there are ways to stop this play. Every play has its weak points and is stoppable. But certain plays are too effective and skew stats, etc., when they get abused. This is one of those plays. We play several seasons of OD each year. Each new game has its share of money plays. When we see these plays we ban them.... no slot vertical routes, no smash routes, no maryland power I off tackle ... we've banned motion from certain formations, and we only allow the same play to be used once out of the same formation per drive no matter the length of the drive ... all this is to abolish the competitive advantage because of CPU limitations. What is comes down to is how hard you want to make your OD. I hope that EA fixes the read option problems (like they fixed the speed option a few years ago that was broken) because Read is such a big part of college football today... but until then...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 4

I was playing against the CPU and had this happen. The guy I controlled ran away from the computer, and everyone ran away from the QB and he took it for a TD.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #23
Pro

Haze88's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvlawguy
We ended up banning the read option from our OD. All the players in the league are pretty good. We play Heisman on extremely heavy weighted CPU sliders. The CPU doesn't run the read very much but when they do its usually for good gain. That is no big deal (I would actually like to see the CPU run the play more to make it more challenging). The problem was user read. Theoretically, when you spy the qb you should be able to stop the qb run, but the spy is broken on read. There would be plays on read where the whole team would run with the rb and no one would stay home on the QB. It was increasingly frustrating to see slow user Qbs accumulate huge rushing totals. This meant that the only way to stop the QB run was to user control the player designed to account for QB. While this can be done to limit the gain, the user gets stuck playing one defensive player the whole game just to limit that single play that is unreasonably effective ... in our OD, every user team was running read option to excess ... we concluded though after a couple of seasons that the play was broken enough to ban it.

I agree with the posters that there are ways to stop this play. Every play has its weak points and is stoppable. But certain plays are too effective and skew stats, etc., when they get abused. This is one of those plays. We play several seasons of OD each year. Each new game has its share of money plays. When we see these plays we ban them.... no slot vertical routes, no smash routes, no maryland power I off tackle ... we've banned motion from certain formations, and we only allow the same play to be used once out of the same formation per drive no matter the length of the drive ... all this is to abolish the competitive advantage because of CPU limitations. What is comes down to is how hard you want to make your OD. I hope that EA fixes the read option problems (like they fixed the speed option a few years ago that was broken) because Read is such a big part of college football today... but until then...
This list seems a bit excessive. What exactly are you allowed to run?
Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #24
Pro

Yea the read option is glitched out, yes it can be stopped, but it is unrealistic how the play is programmed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »