Home

Most realistic quarter setting ?

This is a discussion on Most realistic quarter setting ? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Rookie

beecravey7's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Most realistic quarter setting ?

6 minutes.....
Old 11-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

I like seven minute quarters, but even then,
the games are a little too high scorin', IMO.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
Banned

steelersfan77's Arena

OVR: 7

8 minute quarters give me realistic snaps with balanced teams. With hurry up offenses I expect more snaps. That's a no brainer. Key thing with this game is to have settings and sliders adjusted to ones liking. Everybody plays the game differently.

This game needs Maddens accelerated clock system to make this feel more authentic. Doesn't make.sense that it continues to be ignored.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
MVP

EAGLESFAN10's Arena

OVR: 12

9 min qtrs

but here's what I would like EA to put in NCAA

1. Put accelerated clock in the game (The one from Madden)

2. Or slow the game up and actually let us play a 10+ min game without an accelerated clock (Realistic Game Flow)

BRON IS THE GOAT!!

Louisville, Kentucky is My Hometown
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

Has a lot to do with the settings/sliders that you use and how you play the game. I aim for realistic plays per game and adjust the sliders to make the game difficult enough that the scores and stats end up fairly realistic.

I could cheese the hell out of the game and score a lot more points than I do if I really want, but that isn't fun to me and when I get a good lead my backups are in the game and I switch over to a conservative offense.

Been playing 8 minutes in the dynasty that I'm in, but really I thought 9 minutes gave me about the right # of plays.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #14
Rookie

Cynick's Arena

OVR: 0

Complaining about WVU vs Marshall 73-57? Neither of those teams have any defense to speak of, and I bet you ran no-huddle all game. As I recall WVU had a 70-63 win against Baylor IRL. So you're complaining about realism?

I also like how you throw in a bash of the defenses in the Big12, based off of your experience playing a defenseless, offense heavy, team from the Big Least.

With Sam Bradford at QB, OU had, I believe (been a few years), 10 games where they scored 50+ points, in 1 season. Also went over 100+ plays on several occasions. Landry Jones threw 72 passes last saturday, along with 30 run plays and 1 pass by the Belldozer, for 103 total offensive plays for OU. OSU ran 79 plays for a combined total of 182 offensive plays in that game. So, "realistic" number of plays is relative to the style of the teams you are playing, and playing against. You're probably not going to see an SEC team (aside from A&M and Mizzou) run 103 plays in a game.

After a few conference games at Texas Tech, Tommy Tuberville said "This isn't the SEC, you can't just run the ball and play defense here, you have to score points."

As for no defense in the Big12, did you catch the K-State vs OU score? 24-19 between the best 2 teams in the Big12. And, maybe you should ask an Alabama coach/player about how hard it is to defend against a Big12 style offense (Go Aggies!). In the Big12 it's played more like basketball these days, using high skill players to exploit weakness in defenses. A&M did this to Bama with a very athletic QB. WVU did this to OU by putting their best skill player at running back rather than WR, knowing that OU's weakness is run defense, and OU has the best pass defense in the conference, despite the fact that OU defends 50-70 passes per game. Not every game is, or should be, a Bama vs LSU snoozer. Sometimes, having good defense means that you stopped their high powered offense more than they could stop yours.

The final point here is that we have to start looking at things differently. The no-huddle, spread, multiple, exploitation style of offense is changing the game in favor of the offense. Combine that with the ever increasing number of rules imposed against defenders. The video game devs see this and take it a little bit over the top. The devs think they are adding more excitement to their game, and in turn they are subtly killing some of the realism, but it's not nearly as far off from "realistic" as you might think.

Last edited by Cynick; 11-29-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynick
Complaining about WVU vs Marshall 73-57?
To add to your point, the score of this game in real life was 69-34. So, really 73-57 is a little high, but not over the top. Like you said, neither team has a defense, and both have prolific offenses.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 5

Great post.

The key is not always the scoring, it's the number of plays. 140 plays per game is the average now (69.8 per team to be exact with Texas Tech leading the nation at 82.8 plays per game, while Florida State averaged the fewest at 58.6.). To get this, 9-minute quarters about the right amount of time.

When playing, you need understand that getting a call from the sideline and having them get in a formation takes time. Oregon is one of the best at it and they average around 23 seconds between plays http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...867540424.html . If you want realistic results, you have to play with these factors in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynick
Complaining about WVU vs Marshall 73-57? Neither of those teams have any defense to speak of, and I bet you ran no-huddle all game. As I recall WVU had a 70-63 win against Baylor IRL. So you're complaining about realism?

I also like how you throw in a bash of the defenses in the Big12, based off of your experience playing a defenseless, offense heavy, team from the Big Least.

With Sam Bradford at QB, OU had, I believe (been a few years), 10 games where they scored 50+ points, in 1 season. Also went over 100+ plays on several occasions. Landry Jones threw 72 passes last saturday, along with 30 run plays and 1 pass by the Belldozer, for 103 total offensive plays for OU. OSU ran 79 plays for a combined total of 182 offensive plays in that game. So, "realistic" number of plays is relative to the style of the teams you are playing, and playing against. You're probably not going to see an SEC team (aside from A&M and Mizzou) run 103 plays in a game.

After a few conference games at Texas Tech, Tommy Tuberville said "This isn't the SEC, you can't just run the ball and play defense here, you have to score points."

As for no defense in the Big12, did you catch the K-State vs OU score? 24-19 between the best 2 teams in the Big12. And, maybe you should ask an Alabama coach/player about how hard it is to defend against a Big12 style offense (Go Aggies!). In the Big12 it's played more like basketball these days, using high skill players to exploit weakness in defenses. A&M did this to Bama with a very athletic QB. WVU did this to OU by putting their best skill player at running back rather than WR, knowing that OU's weakness is run defense, and OU has the best pass defense in the conference, despite the fact that OU defends 50-70 passes per game. Not every game is, or should be, a Bama vs LSU snoozer. Sometimes, having good defense means that you stopped their high powered offense more than they could stop yours.

The final point here is that we have to start looking at things differently. The no-huddle, spread, multiple, exploitation style of offense is changing the game in favor of the offense. Combine that with the ever increasing number of rules imposed against defenders. The video game devs see this and take it a little bit over the top. The devs think they are adding more excitement to their game, and in turn they are subtly killing some of the realism, but it's not nearly as far off from "realistic" as you might think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »