Home

Dynamic School Ratings

This is a discussion on Dynamic School Ratings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12
Dynamic School Ratings

I had a question that seems wholly irrelevant anymore, but I'm playing NCAA '12 and seven years into my Dynasty, my school's academic prestige just dropped from a B to a C+. I was curious if anyone knew what affected this rating. The only things I can think of is guys not graduating (leaving early for the draft), but honestly in the seven years I've been here, less than ten guys have left early. I'm usually able to convince them to stay.

So on that note, what other ratings are dynamic over time? It seems like almost all of the ratings are dynamic. My facilities rating started at a B and has gone up to an A, same with fan base. Pro potential has obviously gone up with more guys getting drafted. It seems the only two that are not dynamic are campus lifestyle and television exposure.

To me both should also be dynamic, the latter is easier to make so based on both the conference you're in and the team's performance, as well as the team's current ranking within the Top 25. It would be more difficult to make the first dynamic unless it was simply tied to team success over time like facilities.

So I guess my second question is: have these been addressed in NCAA '13? I haven't played it at all (outside the demo) so I can't comment.

Also I wanted to comment on Coach Prestige and how flawed it is. As an example, by the time my first contract had ended, my prestige had risen from a D to an A+. So on my second contract, I missed a couple fairly benign goals after the first year:
  1. Beat a rival opponent each season (failed because I did not play the lone rival my school has that season); and
  2. Fill all team needs before the off-season each year (failed because my team needed a FB yet literally none of the FB recruits were interested in my school, so that's a whole other discussion point).
Together these two goals were worth four "notches" or whatever you call them. Well in that same year, I won the national championship as well as hitting a bunch of other goals in my contract. Now the national win alone, I think, should have countered the loss from those two contract goals. Instead my Coach Prestige dropped from a A+ to a B+.

Well a couple years later I fail to complete another one "notch" goal, that is beat 85% of the Top 25 opponents I play, because I lost a close game to Georgia who was ranked #5 (so my % ended up being 80% that year or something). Still, I complete enough positive goals that year to counter the one notch loss, but my prestige drops from a B+ to a B. To me this just doesn't make any sense. So no matter how many positive goals you complete, one failure automatically drops your grade.

If this has been fixed for NCAA '13 then I guess my complaints are a waste of time, but if not, it certainly should be fixed. I can understand if I failed really important contract goals, but that never happened and still my prestige suffers. It just doesn't seem right to me. Not only that, but one of the goals is based on a false assumption: that in every positional category, at least one recruit will be interested in my school every given year. But ever since the first or second year of my dynasty, there are literally zero fullbacks who are interested in my school. And that occurs with my recruiting priority in the FB/TE category set at High. So that's another problem that needs fixed if it hasn't been already in NCAA '13.

So I guess that ends my tirade on NCAA '12. I could talk about a lot more--the gameplay is dreadful--but I figure to leave that for another time, especially since I believe a few of those things have been fixed in NCAA '13. But really, I hope a lot of these issues were ironed out this past year or will be for 2014.

I should also note that I did indeed fulfill my FB needs, but that was through recruiting an ATH who was a very good FB (80 rating as a Freshie). Yet that would not count for my contract goals. Ugh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Banned

dhook27's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Dynamic School Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl
I had a question that seems wholly irrelevant anymore, but I'm playing NCAA '12 and seven years into my Dynasty, my school's academic prestige just dropped from a B to a C+. I was curious if anyone knew what affected this rating. The only things I can think of is guys not graduating (leaving early for the draft), but honestly in the seven years I've been here, less than ten guys have left early. I'm usually able to convince them to stay.

So on that note, what other ratings are dynamic over time? It seems like almost all of the ratings are dynamic. My facilities rating started at a B and has gone up to an A, same with fan base. Pro potential has obviously gone up with more guys getting drafted. It seems the only two that are not dynamic are campus lifestyle and television exposure.

To me both should also be dynamic, the latter is easier to make so based on both the conference you're in and the team's performance, as well as the team's current ranking within the Top 25. It would be more difficult to make the first dynamic unless it was simply tied to team success over time like facilities.

So I guess my second question is: have these been addressed in NCAA '13? I haven't played it at all (outside the demo) so I can't comment.

Also I wanted to comment on Coach Prestige and how flawed it is. As an example, by the time my first contract had ended, my prestige had risen from a D to an A+. So on my second contract, I missed a couple fairly benign goals after the first year:
  1. Beat a rival opponent each season (failed because I did not play the lone rival my school has that season); and
  2. Fill all team needs before the off-season each year (failed because my team needed a FB yet literally none of the FB recruits were interested in my school, so that's a whole other discussion point).
Together these two goals were worth four "notches" or whatever you call them. Well in that same year, I won the national championship as well as hitting a bunch of other goals in my contract. Now the national win alone, I think, should have countered the loss from those two contract goals. Instead my Coach Prestige dropped from a A+ to a B+.

Well a couple years later I fail to complete another one "notch" goal, that is beat 85% of the Top 25 opponents I play, because I lost a close game to Georgia who was ranked #5 (so my % ended up being 80% that year or something). Still, I complete enough positive goals that year to counter the one notch loss, but my prestige drops from a B+ to a B. To me this just doesn't make any sense. So no matter how many positive goals you complete, one failure automatically drops your grade.

If this has been fixed for NCAA '13 then I guess my complaints are a waste of time, but if not, it certainly should be fixed. I can understand if I failed really important contract goals, but that never happened and still my prestige suffers. It just doesn't seem right to me. Not only that, but one of the goals is based on a false assumption: that in every positional category, at least one recruit will be interested in my school every given year. But ever since the first or second year of my dynasty, there are literally zero fullbacks who are interested in my school. And that occurs with my recruiting priority in the FB/TE category set at High. So that's another problem that needs fixed if it hasn't been already in NCAA '13.

So I guess that ends my tirade on NCAA '12. I could talk about a lot more--the gameplay is dreadful--but I figure to leave that for another time, especially since I believe a few of those things have been fixed in NCAA '13. But really, I hope a lot of these issues were ironed out this past year or will be for 2014.

I should also note that I did indeed fulfill my FB needs, but that was through recruiting an ATH who was a very good FB (80 rating as a Freshie). Yet that would not count for my contract goals. Ugh.
wut affects academic prestiege is winning games so ur dynasty must suck.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhook27
wut affects academic prestiege is winning games so ur dynasty must suck.
He said he won the NC game. Thanks for your insightful comments.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Dhook obviously doesn't have to worry about academic prestige.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I believe I once read that for academic prestige, there is just a small random change year to year. You cant control it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilphl

I don't mind something like what you are voicing here. To me, when you win, you create great expectations among the fans and national perception. People get spoiled and always expect the high level. Basically, it's never enough. And considering that the recruiting game gets too easy unless you create self-limitations, I like a "flaw" like this. To me it seems almost realistic.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Legal Advisor

jwilphl's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknutz
I believe I once read that for academic prestige, there is just a small random change year to year. You cant control it.
That's a bit odd to me if that's the case. The academic prestige rating in my situation was actually static for six/seven years until it just now dropped, so I figured there had to have been something to make it do so (some sort of over-time consequence). I just can't figure out what the issue is and why the rating hadn't changed before now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknutz
I don't mind something like what you are voicing here. To me, when you win, you create great expectations among the fans and national perception. People get spoiled and always expect the high level. Basically, it's never enough. And considering that the recruiting game gets too easy unless you create self-limitations, I like a "flaw" like this. To me it seems almost realistic.
You make a good point and this is actually something I thought about myself. The culture of "winning" and success are so embedded that even miniscule failures may hurt your rating. In a way I can live with that (and it also means prestige isn't "stuck" at an A+ forever), but I still think the execution of it in-game needs tweaking, especially when other aspects of the game are flawed to the point where it is impossible to meet the goals set forth.

In this sense, I think failures of any goal should be represented as having more impact over time, conditioned upon whether the preceding years were highly successful. Obviously a coach with a greater track-record is going to have higher expectations than a coach who stagnates at a lower-level over his career.

As an example of this, say you win the conference three years in a row. Okay, AD and alumni expect this sort of performance from now on and failure to get to the conference game hurts a good bit, while getting there and losing hurts a bit less but still hurts.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
Rookie

I dug this Q&A up. It can change 10% per year, but doesnt have to.

https://help.ea.com/article/how-are-...ngs-determined

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »