Home

Can anyone who still plays NCAA 06 help me out..?

This is a discussion on Can anyone who still plays NCAA 06 help me out..? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #1

NewNapkin's Arena

OVR: 9
Can anyone who still plays NCAA 06 help me out..?

Hey guys.

So the other day, I ordered a few games including NCAA and Madden 06 on Amazon.

I've heard so many good things about it, so I couldn't pass up on a good deal for it. All those good things were true. I absolutely love the game so far. My only problem is adjusting from NCAA 13 to NCAA 06. I can't seem to get realistic games. In more recent versions of NCAA, I've just owned the short throw game, and gone deep when the chance is there. Now, on '06, It seems like every short pass is batted down, and every deep pass is completed.

I'm using Playmakers AA sliders. I can get good defense going, I just can't seem to score. So can anyone help me out, on how to complete more passes on this game?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 PM   #2

NewNapkin's Arena

Re: Can anyone who still plays NCAA 06 help me out..?

Anyone? Now that I think about it, this goes for everyone who plays a last-gen version could help me out with this..
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmvp
Anyone? Now that I think about it, this goes for everyone who plays a last-gen version could help me out with this..
that's it. it's anyone that plays a last-gen version. you're getting low scoring games on ncaa 06? that is interesting. how do Playmakers AA sliders compare to default AA? it sounds like you're saying defense is better on those sliders, or maybe the speed of the game is a little fast in ncaa 06? one of the complaints about ncaa 06 is that the deep ball was too easy to complete. could try lowering the def cpu awareness slider, but that might make deep passes even easier, but it might also open up some space for short passes. if the cpu isn't attempting enough knockdowns, then maybe you could try turning up the cpu knockdown slider. also play with different teams. i've been playing last-gen games for years, and am still testing new sliders. i think one thing we could do is communicate more here on OS about last-gen sliders, stat comparisons, etc. i posted a question about last-gen sliders a month or so ago, but didn't get a response. drmvp, i'm all about last-gen ncaa games, hope to hear your observations your having in ncaa 06. what's good, and what your seeing during gameplay sessions that you would like to improve.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I used to play countless hours of these games.. To be honest, the passing game back then was much different than the passing game in the next gen.

It was all deep balls.

Heres a break down.. Verses any cover two zone hit streaks to your one and two receivers. Posts in and posts out are also a good option. Verses cover three, seams are deadly and again so are posts in and out toward the side line. Any type of cover 2 man, in routes and hitches are golden. Unlike in Next gen, in routes do get separation because the CB doesn't mirror the route.

You can always check man or zone coverage pre snap by using motion.. and by always I mean 98 percent of the time this holds true.

It's tough to get out of your Next gen mindset but forget drag routes on the old systems.. they were never a viable option.

A couple more helpful tips.. against a cover zero blitz.. you can usually go over the top if you see a mismatch. Tall receivers are money because you can lob the ball up, switch over, get in front of the CB and make the play.

In the run game, play action and speed options were also money. Unlike in next gen.. Speed options out of Ace big and Any shotgun set always got me huge yards. If they are playing zone (CB doesn't follow WR) you can use motion and snap the ball when the WR is in the hole you want to run through to create a lead blocker.

Also remember.. TE's and RB's are unbumpable.. and TE outs and hitches are key to short passing against man coverage. Against Zone, hit them in the seams.

And finally, on defense, when defending passes.. there is a sweet spot, about two yards behind the WR where you want to be.. If you hit swat, your CB makes a ridiculous jumping swat to cut off the pass. I'm sure you've seen the animation I'm talking about if you play the game enough. This is why tall CB's are key too.

So in a nutshell.. All deep balls, all tall guys, and all speed. Don't worry about acceleration.. it doesn't mean anything in 2006.

I hope this helps.. These games were my hey day.. I was 18 and still in highschool so I played them quite a bit.

-Spence
Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy spence
Unlike in Next gen, in routes do get separation because the CB doesn't mirror the route.
especially in NCAA 2004. in NCAA 2004, i really like the passing game. just the feel of it. in that game, compared to 2005 or 06, it felt like you could lead your receiver more. i think defenses react to things faster in NCAA 2005 and 06 to a lesser extent then 2005.

Quote:
You can always check man or zone coverage pre snap by using motion.. and by always I mean 98 percent of the time this holds true.
yeah and the formation of their team vs your team. sometimes though, if they are in man, you can use the primary receiver as a decoy slanting him over the middle and rolling the slot receiver towards the sideline (esp if the ball is spotted at the opposite hash mark).

Quote:
It's tough to get out of your Next gen mindset but forget drag routes on the old systems.. they were never a viable option.
not a viable option when linebackers are in spy or cover or man, but if linebackers blitz, it can be viable, but it's hard to do consistently.

Quote:
In the run game, play action and speed options were also money. Unlike in next gen.. Speed options out of Ace big and Any shotgun set always got me huge yards. If they are playing zone (CB doesn't follow WR) you can use motion and snap the ball when the WR is in the hole you want to run through to create a lead blocker.
oh yeah, defenders definitely bite on play actions especially in situations where they are thinking run. another thing is pump fakes. they can work wonders against low awareness D-lines and give you more time to scramble or find a man open. speed options can work, but i prefer power options out of ace formation. they are a little different, you have to have a good center, but it gets the RB going wider than speed options.

Quote:
And finally, on defense, when defending passes.. there is a sweet spot, about two yards behind the WR where you want to be.. If you hit swat, your CB makes a ridiculous jumping swat to cut off the pass. I'm sure you've seen the animation I'm talking about if you play the game enough. This is why tall CB's are key too.
this started in NCAA 2005. In NCAA 2004, it is not like that. there still a sweet spot, but they don't do that jumping swat animation. i do really like that animation though in NCAA 2005. it really allowed you to get stops in multiplayer games once you got the timing.

Quote:
So in a nutshell.. All deep balls, all tall guys, and all speed. Don't worry about acceleration.. it doesn't mean anything in 2006.

I hope this helps.. These games were my hey day.. I was 18 and still in highschool so I played them quite a bit.

-Spence
i think you're right about acceleration. that's actually one thing i wish was more pronounced in last-gen games. but at the same time, for it to be more pronounced, for it to still be realistic, you would have to lower the speed of defenders or else it would be too hard to avoid tackles. i wish there were more levels of running speed. i wish you saw the acceleration of the individual player more, but this should also affect the defender's acceleration too. i think that both the offense and defenses acceleration is too fast, especially in 06. i might try to turn acceleration player ratings lower. do you remember which last-gen game where the acceleration did actually matter? i'm thinking NCAA 2004, maybe, had a more realistic speed pace of the game. (2004 also had those quick left analog stick moves, but i thought those were great because it made kickoffs more fun, and still seemed to respect acceleration somewhat) but that game didn't have the bells and whistles of 2005 or 06. i think the running, tackling, passing is awesome in NCAA 2004. but i think receiving and running the option was better in NCAA 2005. i think defending the option, minus the lack of collision on pitches, was better in 2004. the reason i say receiving was better in NCAA 2005, is because NCAA 2004 had no collision on helmets. i had a pass yesterday go right through a defenders helmet, into the arms of the receiver for a TD. i also had an option pitch go through a player's helmet to the RB and he ran for a TD. the collision is better in NCAA 2005 (and that knockdown animation you were talking about).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

try NCAA 09

I never had that problem
Old 01-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
try NCAA 09

I never had that problem
you mean the ball going through helmets? that problem was in NCAA 2004. it was fixed in NCAA 2005. yet, despite this problem, NCAA 2004 did many things better then 2005, or even 09, and is still very playable. i think 09 on ps2 is very similar to ncaa 08, but fixed some of the problems, like the pursuit angles, and added some new animations.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

NewNapkin's Arena

Thanks all for the helpful posts! I'll be getting back to work on it tomorrow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »