Home

QB Fumbles Are Ruining the Game

This is a discussion on QB Fumbles Are Ruining the Game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Recruit QBs that can carry the ball. I laugh at some of the guys in my OD that sign QBs with 90 SPD but 50 CAR. I then laugh harder when their QBs always lead the conference/nation in fumbles.

I run a spread option attack but I only recruit QBs with 70+ CAR (usually 80+). Through about 6.5 seasons my QBs have combined for 1139 carries and 32 fumbles (about 10 of which were bad option pitches and not real fumbles). 1139 and 32 comes out to 13 carries per game and 0.36 fumbles per game (1 fumble per every 2.7 games). It's also 1 QB fumble every 36 carries. Those numbers sound very acceptable to me and likely a lot better than what those of you that are complaining are seeing. I also don't need to use conservative carry for those numbers since my QBs can actually carry the ball.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 01-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: QB Fumbles Are Ruining the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Recruit QBs that can carry the ball. I laugh at some of the guys in my OD that sign QBs with 90 SPD but 50 CAR. I then laugh harder when their QBs always lead the conference/nation in fumbles.

I run a spread option attack but I only recruit QBs with 70+ CAR (usually 80+). Through about 6.5 seasons my QBs have combined for 1139 carries and 32 fumbles (about 10 of which were bad option pitches and not real fumbles). 1139 and 32 comes out to 13 carries per game and 0.36 fumbles per game (1 fumble per every 2.7 games). It's also 1 QB fumble every 36 carries. Those numbers sound very acceptable to me and likely a lot better than what those of you that are complaining are seeing. I also don't need to use conservative carry for those numbers since my QBs can actually carry the ball.
It really has nothing to do with carry rating. I've converted ATH with 90+ carry rating and still average 20+ fumbles per game. More to do with the QB tiring faster than other positions when running with the ball. It's just because you are running with a QB. It's a measure to prevent players online from running with QB's constantly.

I've run a QB to the outside from the 20 & about the 30 yard mark he's tired & caught from behind because his stamina is red from running to the outside. This is with 99 stamina. QB's just fumble more & tire more when running the ball. To me it's a bad handicap to make up for bad coding.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

I haven't noticed any stamina issues on a QB while doing read option runs.

As for cheese online and is it fair to handicap the QBs. Yes and no. Guys will call four verts then run with the QB due to terrible AI. The QB Spy is not very good. Fix that and you will see a change IMO.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyed
I haven't noticed any stamina issues on a QB while doing read option runs.

As for cheese online and is it fair to handicap the QBs. Yes and no. Guys will call four verts then run with the QB due to terrible AI. The QB Spy is not very good. Fix that and you will see a change IMO.
That's what I'm saying. The QB issues are compensation for bad A.I. But to me it seems like lazy programming. Fix the A.I. and you can roll out all you want.

I've noticed that there aren't any issues running with your QB in designed plays for the QB. It's not until you leave the pocket & decide to run when the game starts kicking in its' handicaps.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #21
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
A fumble is a fumble, no matter what way you look at it.
No. We are talking about QBs fumbling when scrambling on designed run plays. That along with a lower stamina than average were put into the game deliberately to keep running QBs in check. The statistic you gave does not account for that and really is irrelevant in this discussion.

There are 100 ways for a QB to fumble. We are talking about 1. That statistic is talking about all 100.

Also there is no problem on designed QB runs. The problem is only when you scramble out of a designed pass play. The odds of fumbling increase dramatically and you are better off running out of bounds or sliding than taking any hit.

Last edited by Catamount53; 01-05-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 0

While QBs scrambling out of pass plays results in more fumbles than it "realistically" should, I think fumbling in general is too rare for other players. I'd guess 95% of fumbles I see are either on QB scrambles or option pitches that hit/intercepted by a defender. I've VERY rarely see a blindside sack cause a fumble (when that's probably the play that most should cause one), and a fumble on a WR or TE in the open field? Maybe once every 5-6 games, if that. (Unless its a player rated in the 50s OVR or something).
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #23
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutsdabeast
That's what I'm saying. The QB issues are compensation for bad A.I. But to me it seems like lazy programming. Fix the A.I. and you can roll out all you want.

I've noticed that there aren't any issues running with your QB in designed plays for the QB. It's not until you leave the pocket & decide to run when the game starts kicking in its' handicaps.
We are in agreement. I stop a team all day and then a user will start running deep routes and take off with the QB and you can tell he had no intention of passing. I put my stud LB and sometimes a DE on Spy and they back pedal or come toward the line of scrimmage and take the worst angle imaginable. I even put my gameplay on aggressive to stop scrambling QBs. It does nothing.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyed
We are in agreement. I stop a team all day and then a user will start running deep routes and take off with the QB and you can tell he had no intention of passing. I put my stud LB and sometimes a DE on Spy and they back pedal or come toward the line of scrimmage and take the worst angle imaginable. I even put my gameplay on aggressive to stop scrambling QBs. It does nothing.
That's the problem I have with the game. Not sure if it's been noticed or discussed. But if I'm getting gashed but the QB run & decide to hot read a blitz to QB spy. All of a sudden a player that was in man coverage decides to blitz leaving the player they were supposed to cover uncovered. Frustrating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »