Home

Lower rated but just better...

This is a discussion on Lower rated but just better... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Lower rated but just better...

Has anyone had a player that was rated lower in all the important categories but just played better than the higher rated guy? I have two qb's and one is rated slightly higher than the other but when I start with him I throw multiple interceptions and incompletions. When I start the lower rated guy we play a solid game.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Lower rated but just better...

Absolutely....but I don't think it is a game mechanic necessarily. I think what happens is that we play smarter and don't take as many chances with the lower rated player. In one of my dynasties, I am using my 3rd string receiver at QB due to injury (his THA and THP are in the high 60s). However, he has been effective because I have scaled down the offense and focused on the short passing game. If I tried to throw bombs deep with him like I do with my starters, I would get killed.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Absolutely....but I don't think it is a game mechanic necessarily. I think what happens is that we play smarter and don't take as many chances with the lower rated player. In one of my dynasties, I am using my 3rd string receiver at QB due to injury (his THA and THP are in the high 60s). However, he has been effective because I have scaled down the offense and focused on the short passing game. If I tried to throw bombs deep with him like I do with my starters, I would get killed.
That explains it for QBs maybe, but not other positions where we don't have the same type of options.
I had a senior and junior RB who were 2 and 3 on my depth chart. The senior, despite being better in every important category (speed, elusiveness, trucking, catching, carrying) fumbled and dropped passes, and seemed to play very slowly. The junior plays like Darren Sproles for me, a great receiving back despite low catch rating, and averaged 6+ ypc as my new backup that season.
It just happens. It makes the game more fun and realistic, some guys just play better than they should.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Usually when my starters are playing I tend to force things because I am making such an effort to achieve realistic stats. When a backup comes in due to injury or something, I usually end up playing better because I dont put as much pressure on myself and end up making less mistakes, especially with a quarterback.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

A few things that I have noticed:

I play FS on defense and it seems when I do mass subs or he is tired and the backup comes in he makes INT's while my starter has them bounce off his hands.

Often my backup running backs seem to get better blocking and just seem to run harder than my starter.

I have some quarterbacks that just seem to have more success in passing. I had a freshman come in that I wanted to start because his THA and THP was as good or better than my Junior, and he was a better runner, but it seemed that my receivers would drop more of his passes and the defense would make better plays and always intercept his passes whenever they could get a hand on the ball. The only place that my junior was better would be his awareness, but since I am controlling him, I would be surprised if awareness would make a difference. I ended up going with my junior for the second half of the season after my freshman got injured and my junior came in and had more success, and he continued to play well the rest of the season. I was completely fine with this as the guy with experience played better and it felt like a very realistic qb change as I started off the season going with potential over experience before finding out that the experienced player performed better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Rookie

That sounds like exactly what happened with me and my quarterback.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

I think the biggest rating is awareness when it comes down to it for my quarterbacks and other positions despite the other ratings. A FR with a low AWR tends to make more mistakes even with a better arm. I'm not sure if it's the game making the players around him worse or the defense better, it just seems to be how it works for me.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Banned

Braedan's Arena

I had a 73 overall QB and a 66 overall QB. The 73 overall had thrown horrible by overthrowing and such, and then I decide to put in the 66 overall quarterback. Bam, we almost beat #2 WVU, (as I was in the 2013 season and only losing by a TD). I was using Washington St. It's like your worst QB is going to do better than your best QB. It's weird how EA sets this game up(btw I was on Heisman diffuculty.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »