Home

Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ

This is a discussion on Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
Rookie

bobaloo000's Arena

OVR: 4
Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ

When your searching for recruits which of these do you put more faith in? I'm confused because I've seen 2 star fullbacks with OVR's in the mid 70's but 4 star receivers in the 60's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Stars vs OVR vs SPARQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaloo000
When your searching for recruits which of these do you put more faith in? I'm confused because I've seen 2 star fullbacks with OVR's in the mid 70's but 4 star receivers in the 60's.
I think thats because full backs are much more rare and less common than receivers. There's just much less full backs than receivers.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
MVP

UATide's Arena

OVR: 14

I usually just focus on the OVR, sometimes it's the SPARQ, though.

This Is Alabama Football.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

You'll get a lot of highly rated players at low stars at the FB/TE/K/P positions. It's not common for them to be rated highly starwise as it's generally considered a universal system to rate recruits and it's hard to rate positions that rarely see the field or play non-major positions. Obviously certain systems benefit FB/TE's and having a great K/P is valuable, but compared to other positions that are less interchangeable for other pieces, they aren't as vital.

As for the game, I tend to ignore SPARQ all together, I take into account their location, their stars and their potential schools in determining if I should go fourth scouting them, than I take into account certain skills based on the system I'm building around.

Last edited by K0ZZ; 01-24-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

The SPARQ system basically rates how much of an athlete a given person is.

Here is what SPARQ tests:

• 20 Meter Sprint/40 Yard Dash
  • Kneeling Power Ball Toss
  • Agility Shuttle
  • Yo-Yo Intermittent Recovery Test or YIRT
  • Vertical Jump

As you can see, nearly all of those assessments are going to be geared toward the skill positions in NCAA. While an OL might rate high in the ball toss, he wont rate very high in the 40 yard dash or the shuttle, most likely. That's why the NCAA video game nowadays has so many highly rated WR/RB at the top of their rankings.
IMO, the SPARQ system has ruined recruiting. I go by OVR, and the only time I even look at SPARQ is if I'm undecided by two guys close to each other and want to only pick one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #6
Rookie

darren1024's Arena

I forgot about the sparq rating! I just look at OVR after they are scouted. Im a 6* school in my OD. Im only recruiting guys in mid 70s(75+)or better no matter how many stars they are rated.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Banned

football200414's Arena

OVR: 9

No matter which you use they're not a full-proof method to avoid busts. I read on here once that the safest system to find good recruits, especially at the 4* level, is to pay attention to who is recruiting them. If they're 4* with MTSU & Temple atop their list, they're almost a sure bust. If they're 4* with Bama, Ohio St, & Michigan atop their list, they're gonna be as advertised or maybe even a gem. It's not an excact science but it works more than it fails and I always get a solid class with very few busts, if any.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Rookie

bobaloo000's Arena

Thanks for all the replies. I've been ignoring SPARQ and using the stars and OVR. I will disagree with the person who said look at the schools recruiting them. I went after a 4 star athlete only being recruited by Hawaii, Fresno, San Jose and UNLV. He ended up not only being a gem but when I went to assign him a position turned out he was an 82 at QB. I've seen other examples similar to that as well including a 4 star T from New Mexico who only had an offer from Temple. Turned out he was another gem. Personally I think recruiting needs a lot of work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »