Home

No Huddle Play-Calling Tips?

This is a discussion on No Huddle Play-Calling Tips? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Rookie

zkiesel's Arena

OVR: 0
No Huddle Play-Calling Tips?

Ok, so here's my problem: So many schools run some form of the no-huddle (whether it's fast-paced like Oregon, or a check-with-me like my Terps). I'm really not any good at playcalling in the no huddle. I'm much more comfortable in the pro-style playcall screen. But I want to get more comfortable with playcalling in the no-huddle.

I also rarely call plays outside of the "Ask Coach" screen. I find it keeps me grounded and realistic with my playcalling.

So here's what I want some tips on:

1. How often do you change formations in the no-huddle? If you came out in a 4WR set, do you go to 3 or 5 WR sets, or stick with 4?

2. How do you make sure to call accurate plays, and not use easy plays all the time?

3. I know people here use Oregon. I know they run a lot of read-option type plays. How do you use their playbook?

4. And lastly, my Terps run a no-huddle, check-with-me offense. Everyone rushes to the line and (90% of the time) sets, and then checks with the sideline to get the play. Is there any way to replicate that in the game?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Just started!

brown11b's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: No Huddle Play-Calling Tips?

I generally run no-huddle from play 1 of the game. I dont switch formations when I run no huddle and attempt to keep a good run/pass balance.

I generally will get a couple of first downs and then wont no huddle for a play so I can switch formations and allow tired players to sub out of the game.

If you can get the other team in poor defensive matchup(too many DBs on the field against your 2 TE or FB sets or not enough DBs against your 4 WR sets) then dont stop using the no huddle and keep their mismatched defensive formation on the field as long as possible.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown11b
If you can get the other team in poor defensive matchup(too many DBs on the field against your 2 TE or FB sets or not enough DBs against your 4 WR sets) then dont stop using the no huddle and keep their mismatched defensive formation on the field as long as possible.
I don't fault you for this but it's essentially a cheese. In real football, even if a team runs a no-huddle you can swap out DB's for LB's etc. It's just a limitation of the game.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzombiettu
I don't fault you for this but it's essentially a cheese. In real football, even if a team runs a no-huddle you can swap out DB's for LB's etc. It's just a limitation of the game.
No you can't if the offense won't let you. If the offense doesn't change personnel, then they don't have to let the defense and if the D tries, then the O will snap it while they're changing. This is one of the philosophies of high tempo no huddle teams like Oregon.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Just started!

brown11b's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzombiettu

It what way is it cheese? Before I start the drive the other team gets to see my personal on field. (i.e. 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) If the other player still goes small with a nickel package then it was their choice.

I focus on top TEs specifically so I can force the other team to pick their poison against me. If they go small then I will run it all over them. If they they go big (43, 34) then I am mor ethan happy to pass the ball.

That isnt cheese, that is strategy. Many college and pro teams use the same idea if they have the correct players to do so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Rookie

zkiesel's Arena

One of the biggest parts of Oregon's offense is mismatches. Hell, the Patriots rely on that a lot. It's not cheesing, it's realism. As for the substitution thing, defenses can't sub in the no-huddle unless the offense subs. Then the refs have to allow subs for each team.

Anyways, I've been toying with the no-huddle and I've found one of the biggest keys is to use formations that match the personnel on the field. For example, not using 2 TE formations when you don't have 2 TEs on the field.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Rookie

I would change formations only if its to formations of the same number of WRs. Make sure you stay balanced and keep the opponent on its heels.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 6

These are the rules I go by:
If I make a first down, I run a play from the same formation and snap the ball fast.

On 5-9 yard gains that don't result in 1st downs, I may change the formation.

On incomplete passes and plays that gain 4 or less yards I abort no huddle and go to the play calling screen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »