Home

NCAA Football 14 Video - First Look at New Gameplay Engine

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Video - First Look at New Gameplay Engine within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #73
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: NCAA Football 14 Video - First Look at New Gameplay Engine

The worst thing from last year: the player would run and say he steps down with his left foot going North, the user would hit up and to the left (NW) on their joystick, and the runners next step would be NW with their right leg, with their body still straight up. This is literally impossible to do in real life and it happened every single play last year.

The next would be how the runners kept their shoulders squared when you tried to turn, so it would just be their lower body turning and their upper body staying still. I still want to know who's grand idea that was.

If these things are fixed, the game will look better x 1000000
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 30
I like some of the improvements and see some issues but not really concerned since next gen is almost upon us for both this and Madden. THAT'S where I expect bigger improvements such as player movement and animations and all that. Just going to enjoy what the last hoorah of this gen brings although I won't be buying this, just gunna play the demo. Waiting for Madden 25.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #75
MVP

OVR: 15

I agree Trey, I think it is very telling that for the last game of an 8 year console generation, one of the top gameplay features is realistic footplanting.

I am dissapointed in this news because I can tell this is very small scale. They didnt overhaul the locomotion or running animations, its more a re-write of how the ball carrier moves.

Here is the elephant in the room question EA... Does this new footplanting just include the person carrying the football? For this to be legit, it needs to extend to every player on the field.

Personally, I am ready for next-gen. I am hoping the madden team is pouring a TON of rescources into its development, to avoid this disaster of a football gaming era we have had to endure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 1
The foot planting and animations aren't perfect but they're getting better. A lot of folks here sound extremely critical and somewhat entitled when the problem of foot planting while maintaining control hasn't quite been solved in any game in any genre.

It's a difficult computer science problem and it's not going to be fixed in next gen consoles right away either. I think the engine used by back breaker might have been the closest and they seemed to be the only guys working on the problem on that high a level.

That said, there are probably ways they can smooth out some of the transitions (at the cost of a little control).
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #77
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Break down

0:30 (+) Now thats how footplanting is supposed to look.

0:40 (+) Nice cut animation. (-) This is where proper defensive animations come into play to add to the overall look. Defender should be extending that left arm in a grab attempt.

0:43 (+) Another nice cut animation. (-) Once again, need that reach animation implemented gents.

0:46 (+) Exactly what I'm talking about. Nice cut with the defender then going off balance and reaching for the RB. Perfect look. A reach similar to this should be implemented in all the interactions with defenders and RBs.
Great breakdown, I just wanted to highlight your mention of the "reach" animations needed consistently, I was thinking the exact same thing when watching those plays. It really adds to the impression that the defender is trying to tackle the ball carrier and distracts the gamer from focusing on potentially poor pursuit angles or odd mirror movements by the defender.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #78
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
My FG watched the video on YouTube with me and just "went hope you don't spend $60 on that. Looks no different than what you play now."

Will try out the demo and wait for a price drop. I appreciate the work put in, but this is a case of a little too late with the new consoles coming out.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #79
Pro

Xero Theory 42's Arena

OVR: 5

I like a lot of the animations, they look clean, I want to see it in an actual game. they put the new nike vapor one ball in, which we are testing out now(UConn) and it would be cool to have the adidas teams use their wilson balls etc in the game.just more realism. As an equipment manager, I would love to get my hands on the game behind the scenes and just add so much of the little things we do throughout the day to make this game realistic so much more.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #80
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Do we really need another speed burst?

So now you can speed thru the hole, then probably speed burst again afterwards?

sounds like more "wiiiiiidddee open gameplay"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »