Home

Sleepers in recruiting.

This is a discussion on Sleepers in recruiting. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2003, 10:40 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Sleepers in recruiting.

short soldier any more Big XII roster updates? your Sooners playing for all the marbles. Just think I applauded you for lowering Jason Whites attributes before the season started, both he and Clayton should be in the 90s. Boy we were both wrong!
Old 12-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #18
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:

dirtypeter said:
short soldier any more Big XII roster updates? your Sooners playing for all the marbles. Just think I applauded you for lowering Jason Whites attributes before the season started, both he and Clayton should be in the 90s. Boy we were both wrong!

I haven't touched the rosters since the last updates; I think I put Adam Barmann on KU, but tha's it. Too much has been going on, plus I heard that the NCAA was making MM and OS take the rosters off their sites. I never checked it out, but they're not off too much anyway. Yeah, I thought they gave JWhite way too much love; we were wrong, huh? To think, in my first year of my dynasty, I was happy that he was a senior so that PThompson (the running threat) could be the man). Thompson got hurt for the year in the third game and I really missed Jason.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:36 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

This thread makes me want to shoot myself. I should have never gotten rid of NCAA. I won an Ebay auction for it last week and the seller said he shipped it this past Saturday. I can't wait til it gets here.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:54 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:
This thread makes me want to shoot myself. I should have never gotten rid of NCAA. I won an Ebay auction for it last week and the seller said he shipped it this past Saturday. I can't wait til it gets here.

LOL. I sold my copy of 2003 last year after the season was over and regretted it every day. I've decided their will be no parting with 2004 until I have 2005 in hand.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:05 PM   #21
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

Quote:

SoMiss2000 said:

I never quit playing 2003. I let a friend borrow 2002 and I still haven't gotten it back; otherwise, I'd still have 2002, 2003, and 2004.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2003, 06:53 AM   #22
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

Cool stuff.
I don't record all the star ratings of my recruits (maybe I should!), but I have a few sleepers on my squad.

MLB: Lance Simmons, Sr
A local recruit from my very first recruiting class which was ranked the #86 class that season. I think he was 2-stars and was a monster addition to my horribly struggling program. As a true freshman he led the team in tackles and sacks (10). He sounds a bit like your Jasper. Since recruiting him, I've recruited more physically gifted guys, but he will graduate this year a 4-year starter and has NEVER been displaced at mike. His speed is somewhere from 66-69 and his awareness is now over 80. He's just solid, and in my defensive schemes the backers play lots of zone. He's picked off 4 passes this season, the second year he's done that.

CB: Huey May, Sr
Another from that same recruiting class. Possibly my favorite sleeper. He's a free safety, but he's played corner the last 3 years. He started at SS as a true freshman and did a very solid job. He has decent 81 speed, but the next year I went with more speed at safety so he moved to corner where he played nickel behind yet another sleeper (Bob Cobbs, then a senior, who was a WALK-ON JC transfer from the previous year.. this guy hardly played in his junior year and I only discovered he was a PLAYER as a senior). At nickelback May still performed nicely though.

What I really like about Huey is that after backing up Cobbs, he was slated to play nickel at the beginning of BOTH his Junior and Senior years. He was just too good to keep on the bench though, even though the two corners ahead of him seemed like they should have been better than him (faster, more agile, just as 'aware', and true CB's). After the first few games of both seasons (both successful 10-win seasons... the second of which is still in progress) I did some re-shuffling of the secondary and May ended up starting in my #1 CB spot for almost all of both years, usually the primary defender on the opposing team's most talented WR. I don't understand it, but he's right in there and he just plain gets it done. As a junior he led the team and broke up 15 passes. This year putting up those numbers again and is my 3rd leading tackler. I think his awareness is somewhere in the 70's.

SS: Kelvin Jensen, So
Yet another local recruit (as was Huey). A 3-star recruit, I think. Recruited with ~4.7 40 time, but came in with surprising 82 speed. Last year, instead of moving Huey May back to SS, Kelvin got the starting nod there. Led the team with 70 tackles. Wasn't stellar in coverage (around 5 breakups) but had a few picks including one taken for a TD. He garnered 1st Team AA honors as a true freshman (being played in heisman difficulty, 7 minute/qtr).
Not near as impressive tackling-wise this year, but still steady in coverage and continues to start for my undefeated #4 ranked team.

QB: Corey Smith, Jr
(this one's been fun, but I realize the main reason he's a 'sleeper' is probably that the QB is user controlled! ..And, he has some reliable dangerous receivers and a decent line.)

He was either a 2 or 3 star recruit from my second recruiting class. As a senior, he is only 75 overall rated. He's only got 59 speed and his carrying is 50 so he's kind of prone to fumbles when he takes hits. The good thing is that he's 82 or 83 in both arm power and accuracy (you'd think he'd be OVR better than 75, huh?).

He's probably gone after this season, because he might win the Heisman! Freshman AA as a true frosh, 1st team AA and Best QB as a soph, and started this season atop the Heisman list and is in the #2 spot in week 14.

The thing here is that after his freshman year I actually recruited a local bluechip QB who's got better ratings across the board. I mean, better everything, right down to stamina. But I didna have the heart to bench Corey after his terrific Freshman AA year, so I figured to redshirt the bluechip, no harm done. Then, Corey goes and has a better-than-I-coulda-imagined Sophomore year and lands himself on the Heisman list to start his junior year.... of course, I can't bench the guy now, he's a super-star! So he's now starting ahead of the bluechip redshirt freshman Rodney Moss, who has an overall rating of 86 (wasting a year of eligibility under the incredible Corey Smith!). Last season it seemed nobody cared much about him or our (un-ranked) team. This season this guy has been in more Sports Illustrated features than I can count (two covers).

So yeah.... I'd say it's safe to say I've gotten pretty attached and/or felt some guilt/empathy for my players!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:07 PM   #23
Th* C*mm*shn*k*v

cliburn's Arena

Good read, rns. Last night, against Texas A&M and Mikel Qick (A Vick wannabe, right down to appearance, handedness, and ratings, except his speed is only 77), Foreman had his first interception of his career. For the season (his first as a CB), he has 33 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 INT, 1 forced fumble, 2 sacks, 1 safety, and 4 passes deflected as a shallow cover two corner. I feel like a proud papa.

Huff had two picks the game before and has four on the season. I will surely miss him.

The season is coming to a close with only four games remaining (including bowls) and I will post their final stats then.

rns: What team do you play with, and, in effect, what state are these local guys from?
Old 12-16-2003, 04:56 AM   #24
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2

That's real neat, playing a QB as a DB. I'm always looking for guys who can make an impact out of position. This season I'm redshirting a good junior WR who I want to try to compete for the Heisman (or something) with as a two-way player. As soon as he came in two years ago I noticed he had a 62 tackling rating to go with his 71 hands and 90 speed. He was either a 3 or 4 star guy, but he doesn't seem to have high potential and has been slow in building awareness... that's why he's redshirted. I'm hoping for a big year from him next year. Adrien Cleveland, another local recruit.

Villanova, Pennsylvania is my place. I put them in the MAC instead of the Big East. I don't think it's one of the big recruiting states, but I think it's above average. Roughly 40 of all my 70 recruits (4 recruiting classes) so far are from the state. I recruited before in Connecticut and Hawaii, and never was able to recruit mostly homestate guys. I like being able to have a team mostly of local kids. Where's your team, shortsoldier?

oh, and UPDATE: Smith won the Heisman. 5100 yards, 42 TD, 11 INT, through 14 games (with the bowl still to be played). Not bad for a 75 overall-rated QB! I'm proud of that guy and his awesome career.
Definitely had big help from two 1st team AA wideouts (So Derick Roth, Jr Josh Watts), one of them being Receiver of the Year(Watts), plus one 2nd team AA receiver (Sr Josh Walker). Also miraculously had my HB (Jr Zach Beasley) finish in the running for both the Maxwell and running back of the year (1150 yards, 16 TD), even though as a team we passed for about 420 ypg and rushed for just 85 ypg on ~20 carries. Backup QB Rod Moss added about 800 passing yards this year.

Smith and Watts are almost gone for sure, but hopefully I can hold onto Beasley. He was a 4-star non-sleeper, but for any running back to put up those numbers in this offense is surprising. I've never had a 1000-yard rusher before... I couldn't stand losing that guy early!

The team's 13-1, #9. Was #3, but dropped one to #7 Notre Dame 42-30 in week 15.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »