Home

NCAA Football 14 Gameplay Hands-On

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Gameplay Hands-On within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49
Damn, there was nothing really all that damning in the article and y'all are PILING ON. If anything, it was mostly positives and overall good news.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: NCAA Football 14 Gameplay Hands-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Sounds like the improvements to gameplay were slim. When you spend your focus on the run game as your big gameplay fix this year, and STILL have awkward running animations, sliding and poor foot planting, that's not good.
Agreed, the gameplay changes do seem very minor this year. Quite honestly, I expected this and I think it is EA's way of just pretty much giving up on this console generation. When you have had 8 years and STILL CANNOT GET PLAYERS TO MOVE REALISTICALLY, you know there are huge underlying issues.

I really dont care much about this year and I am just hoping they blow us away with the next-gen engine. It is time to scrap this thing and put out a game that people will truly enjoy. I would expect that player movement and line play will be completely re-written with the next-gen engine. I also expect whatever the issue is with the animation engine that creates such herky jerky and unrealistic animations to be replaced as well.

Bring on Next-Gen and please don't dissapoint EA. This is the only football game available to play
Old 04-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
Damn, there was nothing really all that damning in the article and y'all are PILING ON. If anything, it was mostly positives and overall good news.
I think the crowd here is continually disappointed by the legacy issues not being addressed. ie player movement, OL/DL and WR/DB interractions.

Quite frankly, I don't blame them. Hoping these issues can be addressed jumping to NG.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
-You can set the offense and defensive difficulties separately this year. So you can actually set the AI offense to Heisman and place the defense on varsity.
This is the best part of this entire article, imo. Sometimes going against the Heisman defense by the CPU is frustrating to me, but I like playing Heisman while I'm on defense.

Now, if we can set different sliders for each side of the ball................
Old 04-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniphobe
Didn't get a reply in the other thread, but since this one is about gameplay, I'll ask it here:

Anybody know if defensive assignments (lining up a specific DB on a specific WR, LB on TE, etc) made it into the game?

It was one of my favourite features from the older Maddens before they took it away, and it really added to the strategy aspect of having a shutdown corner.

Defensive assignments combined with formation subs would make an ultimate strategy game on the defensive side of the ball (which it should be).
Unfortunately, I didn't even think to check on this. It most likely would have been mentioned by someone if it was in though. Had some good guys behind the sticks.
Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

One positive about the last 8 years is it has made for some very balanced reviews this year from various sources and I appreciate that. None of that "rose colored glasses" or complete cynic stuff, just factual pros and cons, really good write up.

Like I have been pretty much saying all day, this year for EA football gaming thus far, seems to imply a noticeable determination to get these games where they should be, not just lip service and marketing. We should have all learned by now that for the most part, whatever EA Tiburon shows early on of a feature, is what we should expect on release, so while I was somewhat disappointed with the "gliding" and some zig-zagging still being there, it was not unexpected considering the game play playbook video.

Legacy issues notwithstanding, everything thus far seems to bode well for EA football going forward on the new consoles.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Dont get me wrong, I like the direction we are going in with this years title, but I am really just getting annoyed with the half *** improvements.

-fixing the running game, but not completely cause there is still "swerve" running and not even touching the horrible running animations
-fixing the blocking, but not having a pocket for the QB and still not fixing the patty cake animations...also no arm tackling from blocks
-still don't know if the defense "swerve" runs or if any "non-ball carrier" uses this new system - if this was only implemented with the ball carrier then what is the point (THIS is the most important thing to me, bc once I make a cut, the defense should have to use foot planting as well. If this isn't in, then the ball carrier foot planting is literally just window dressing. This is a difference between changing the way the game is played, and another semi-pointless addition)
-god only knows with the presentation stuff, but that all sounds pretty food so far
-havent even touched special teams (punt returns mostly)...AGAIN
-coaching carousel from 2 years ago, untouched last year
-A WHOLE YEAR SPENT MAKING "AUTHENTIC" PRE-GAME RUN OUTS AND YOU BASICALLY THROW ALL OF IT AWAY THE NEXT YEAR
-many more that i cant think of

I'm just sick of these issues being in the game year after year. Im excited for the game and all, but throw me a friggin bone here EA, I wanna get really fired up about one of your football games for once - YOURS IS THE ONLY ONE IN TOWN - but all I can do is get moderately overjoyed bc once I get pumped hearing about your foot planting stuff, someone tells us it's not really done completely and I come right back down to earth

Last edited by UMhester04; 04-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMhester04
Dont get me wrong, I like the direction we are going in with this years title, but I am really just getting annoyed with the half *** improvements.

-fixing the running game, but not completely cause there is still "swerve" running and not even touching the horrible running animations
-fixing the blocking, but still not having a pocket for the QB and still not fixing the patty cake animations...also no arm tackling from blocks
-still don't know if the defense "swerve" runs or if any "non-ball carrier" uses this new system - if this was only implemented with the ball carrier then what is the point (THIS is the most important thing to me, bc once I make a cut, the defense should have to use foot planting as well. If this isn't in, then the ball carrier foot planting is literally just window dressing. This is a difference between changing the way the game is played, and another semi-pointless addition)
-god only knows with the presentation stuff, but that all sounds pretty food so far
-havent even touched special teams (punt returns mostly)...AGAIN
-coaching carousel from 2 years ago, untouched last year
-A WHOLE YEAR SPENT MAKING "AUTHENTIC" PRE-GAME RUN OUTS AND YOU BASICALLY THROW ALL OF IT AWAY THE NEXT YEAR
-many more that i cant think of

I'm just sick of these issues being in the game year after year. Im excited for the game and all, but throw me a friggin bone here EA, I wanna get really fired up about one of your football games for once - YOURS IS THE ONLY ONE IN TOWN - but all I can do is get moderately overjoyed bc once I get pumped hearing about your foot planting stuff, someone tells us it's not really done completely and I come right back down to earth
I feel you UMHester04, sadly what happens is we run out buy the retail version and all of these band-aid fixes eventually start getting loose and we see all the holes after one half of play.

I know this will sound crazy, but I'm already disappointed in NCAA 14, because these devs truly don't learn from there mistakes of putting a band-aid on gaping wounds that needs immediate surgery to repair and months of rehab, lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »