Home

Court Filing Shows NCAA Had Concern About Use of Athlete Likenesses

This is a discussion on Court Filing Shows NCAA Had Concern About Use of Athlete Likenesses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Court Filing Shows NCAA Had Concern About Use of Athlete Likenesses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
They can make QB#1 for Texas A&M 6'4 220 and black for all i care. As long as we have the option to edit everything.
As someone who never plays online, this is what is most important to me. I could care less what rosters the game is shipped out with as long as we have the ability to edit everything and everyone.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoleDude
Yea...Bill Russel, Oscar Robertson. Couldn't make it as pros for sure, all about getting money.
And Jim Brown.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by californ14
So a couple ex players that couldn't make a life in the pros cause they sucked now want to get money any way they can? and some sick lawyers grabbed this chance to make a name and money too? Sounds like crap to me....America has become the land of the lawsuit....Hang the lawyers....
Just because you like to play a video game doesn't make their lawsuit wrong. They are right on for finally trying to do something about their likeness being exploited. There's a very simple solution to this and it's just to allow us as much editing ability as possible. I couldn't care less if the rosters were accurate in terms of numbers, ht & wt, there are enough people out there contributing and doing rosters that we can get an edited correct roster file. But give us real and accurate equipment and the ability to edit what we need and we'll take care of the rest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Just because you like to play a video game doesn't make their lawsuit wrong. They are right on for finally trying to do something about their likeness being exploited. There's a very simple solution to this and it's just to allow us as much editing ability as possible. I couldn't care less if the rosters were accurate in terms of numbers, ht & wt, there are enough people out there contributing and doing rosters that we can get an edited correct roster file. But give us real and accurate equipment and the ability to edit what we need and we'll take care of the rest.
That is until another lawyer (or the same one) comes along and makes an argument that by allowing the editing of rosters, EA has given gamers the avenue to mimic likenesses of actual players, thereby exploiting their likeness and then EA is forced to strip out roster editing.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Rookie

T-Moar's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
That is until another lawyer (or the same one) comes along and makes an argument that by allowing the editing of rosters, EA has given gamers the avenue to mimic likenesses of actual players, thereby exploiting their likeness and then EA is forced to strip out roster editing.
Except they can't win that argument - we're allowed to include their likeness in rosters, as long as the rosters aren't sold. If you want to get into the legalese of it, it's available here:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/usin...keness-another
Old 04-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Moar
Except they can't win that argument - we're allowed to include their likeness in rosters, as long as the rosters aren't sold. If you want to get into the legalese of it, it's available here:

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/usin...keness-another
Thanks for that. Going to play devil's advocate here.

While it doesn't say that there is grounds to sue for selling a product that allows likenesses to be created (in this case through editing), it also does not state against it leaving lawyers with plenty of gray area to maneuver (unless I missed something).

A lawyer could argue that by including roster editing as a feature of their product, they are indirectly responsible for the usage of likenesses in their product by their fan base. Especially when they add the tie in for ease of mass distribution through the roster locker system.

Is it a harder argument to win? Yes, but I don't think it's an impossible argument to win.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #15
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4

Has nothing to do with any enjoyment I may or may not get out of playing games. and since I do not play NCAA, it really is not a motivating factor here....I dislike lawyers and stupid lawsuits....Maybe these players could do without sports scholarships and other perks they may or may not get for playing a game? Way I see it, the NCAA owns these people in college...If they do not like it they can get a job at McDonalds....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 AM   #16
Banned

californ14's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoleDude
Yea...Bill Russel, Oscar Robertson. Couldn't make it as pros for sure, all about getting money.
A couple 70 something, former basketball players? really?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »