Home

NCAA Football 14 Presentation Video with Ben Haumiller Introduces Skills Trainer

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 Presentation Video with Ben Haumiller Introduces Skills Trainer within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #49
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NCAA Football 14 Presentation Video with Ben Haumiller Introduces Skills Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I would venture to guess that any equipment worn on the torso, arms, or head takes precedence over shoes in football games because those are far more visible. There are never any close-up shots of players' feet in football like there is in soccer, and the culture around shoes in basketball has no corollary in football. Comparatively speaking, the gloves close-up shot is almost iconic in college football nowadays.

Further, from a gameplay perspective, the game is played from a far-zoom perspective, so any art changes to shoes are less likely to be noticed compared to changes to helmets and jerseys. The resources of the art team are allocated where the most return is possible.

My point is that Tiburon doesn't just decide stuff willy-nilly. There is a reason for lack of art emphasis on shoes. You don't have to like it, but to say that Tiburon doesn't know what they are doing because they don't allow a plethora of shoe options ignores the realities of the situation of making a licensed football video game. Resources are limited, and return must be maximized; shoes simply don't yield high return aesthetically in a football context.
don't know how you can say art changes to the shoes wouldn't be noticeable even during gameplay. Go back and look at the game before they added colors to the cleats. When we just had plain black or white cleats. Then look at the following year when they added colors to the cleats and you see how much of a difference it makes in terms of getting a realistic look.

Part of the reason i stopped using my Teambuilder team was because we don't even get the type of cleats they already have in the game, we get the old plain black or white cleats.

Putting an O on the gloves is something you only see in a cutscene that half of the people probably skip over after seeing it for the 5th time. Cleats are something you do notice on every snap because you see player's feet every play. You might not notice them much anymore because your so used to what we have but again, go back to when we had no colors on the cleats and you'll notice the difference.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #50
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: NCAA Football 14 Presentation Video with Ben Haumiller Introduces Skills Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
See here is the thing though, you aren't adding more options and needing more room to free up to add and create any new items, you are literally editing the old oudated equipment and turning them into current shoes with different artwork.

This is not all that time consuming, trust me I was there when they put in the Underarmour shoes and the like into Madden, it was not a big task.
This post says it all right here. Makes you really wonder what goes on down there at Tiburon.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #51
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
This post says it all right here. Makes you really wonder what goes on down there at Tiburon.
All I could do was shake my head on that part of Kane's post and hope stuff like that doesn't carry over to the new consoles. I know Ben stated in one of those videos that he doesn't work on the new console games at all, which has me hopeful that there is a completely different team, with a fresh perspective, working on those games. I honestly think many of these guys that have been working on EA football games for years, can't see the forest for trees at this point and the games need fresh people with "new eyes".

The fact that there is a faction within the EA football community passionate about all areas of equipment but seemingly no persons at Tiburon representative of that faction, in positions on the art team or where ever to effect it, is indicative of this entire gen. This entire gen we have been given games that while I truly believe the workers at Tiburon work hard on, don't come across like they poured their heart and soul into them. That is of course not a prerequisite for any job, that you be passionate about what you do but it reflects in the final product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #52
Pro

Bolt957's Arena

OVR: 14
Sooooo. . . .No new cleats for NCAA? Expected but disappointing.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #53
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
All I could do was shake my head on that part of Kane's post and hope stuff like that doesn't carry over to the new consoles. I know Ben stated in one of those videos that he doesn't work on the new console games at all, which has me hopeful that there is a completely different team, with a fresh perspective, working on those games. I honestly think many of these guys that have been working on EA football games for years, can't see the forest for trees at this point and the games need fresh people with "new eyes".

The fact that there is a faction within the EA football community passionate about all areas of equipment but seemingly no persons at Tiburon representative of that faction, in positions on the art team or where ever to effect it, is indicative of this entire gen. This entire gen we have been given games that while I truly believe the workers at Tiburon work hard on, don't come across like they poured their heart and soul into them. That is of course not a prerequisite for any job, that you be passionate about what you do but it reflects in the final product.
I truly hope so. Alot of the philosophies of this gen need to be gutted along with the animation engine. Just too many contradictions.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #54
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
That way a Saturday Night Primetime game on ESPN won't feel the same as a 1pm Conference USA game on ESPN U.
ESPNU with Beth "the battle axe" Mowins, and Joey Galloway.....Hell yes, bring it on!

Anyone else wonder if this is all we will here from EA regarding equipment this year? Another year of no revspeed 2 bar mask.... Why.... Why did I become a roster editor
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #55
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
don't know how you can say art changes to the shoes wouldn't be noticeable even during gameplay.
I didn't say they weren't noticeable, rather that changes to other pieces would be more noticeable, particularly from the default wire camera where all football gameplay takes place and where the user's focus on the screen and the players on it reaches its peak. When I am playing a game, I notice helmets and jerseys before I notice a player's shoes, if I even notice a player's shoes at all. I am guessing that this is the thought process for a good number of NCAA players when looking at the graphics of a game during a normal gameplay scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
See here is the thing though, you aren't adding more options and needing more room to free up to add and create any new items, you are literally editing the old oudated equipment and turning them into current shoes with different artwork.

This is not all that time consuming, trust me I was there when they put in the Underarmour shoes and the like into Madden, it was not a big task.
I don't doubt that, in the relative scheme of things, changing a shoe asset isn't difficult relative to other tasks. My point was that Tiburon clearly felt there were higher-priority items which must get attention before shoe updates. Not saying it is right or wrong, rather I'm simply saying that there is a thought process which goes into budgeting time for making a video game. The assertion I was responding to was the implication that Tiburon doesn't know what they are doing, something which gets thrown around entirely too often and rather baselessly in this forum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #56
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

I think it just further illustrates how out of whack their priorities are when they are so giddy about adding logos on gloves so people will see a cutscene of guys putting their hands together. People have been asking for a specific facemask for years and they know it but continue to ignore. These are the same people who got giddy because they added windsocks. I'll throw it out there that they don't know what they're doing because by having such out of whack priorities where they think the logo on a pair of gloves that very few ask for should be a priority over cleats or facemasks that are actually on the GameChanger page they supposedly look it, it shows to me that they just don't get it and try to do the easiest, most minor thing. And keep in mind, we're talking accessories/art department here so I don't want to hear anyone come in and say "who cares about shoes/this isn't dress up/gameplay is all that matters," and any of those other stupid things people say as soon as people talk about accessories.

Seeing Ben in a video already annoys me because every year we see him in videos and podcasts getting all giddy about something that never delivers so the last thing I want is to listen to what he has to say, but it pisses me off when he's actually bragging about the fact that they added an O to the Oregon gloves so that when there's a cutscene you'll see the guy put his hands together.

So they added a total of 2 things to update the look of players? A so called "Base layer" which is essentially new undershirts, saying "base layer" just makes it sound more important and like it's something completely new than just saying we added new undershirts. They say base layer as if we ever see these guys without pads.

What's amazing is they don't realize if they added and said we added 5 new Nike Cleats, 5 new Adidas cleats, 5 new Under Armour cleats, that people would get a lot more excited than we added logos to the gloves so that when there's a cutscene where guys put their hands together (which we hope you still watch after the 3rd time), you'll see the logo. Not only that, it would allow you to add some variety to the guys so that not every player is wearing 1 of 2 cleats, both of which are an old style.

Adding a bunch of new cleats would make it appear like they actually did work on the player models and accessories whereas adding a "base layer" (aka new undershirts) and logos on gloves makes it look like they found the smallest, most minor and easiest thing to update while not really adding much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »