Home

NCAA Player models

This is a discussion on NCAA Player models within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
NCAA Player models

http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/imag.../07/155943.jpg

Someone used this pic in another thread. Its actually perfect to get my point across. Would it be possible for one of the gamechangers or any affiliates of EA to pull the lead art directors coattail and politely inform them that their in game player models only very slightly resemble real life players? I'm not trying to drag the art team through the mud or anything of the sort. As a matter of fact, I'm already on the hype train with plans of a first day buy, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the player models have always looked a bit aloof in the game. I cant be the only one that notices this right?

Try viewing this pic side by side with the in game avatars and you'll see what I'm saying if you haven't noticed already.

Last edited by kingsofthevalley; 05-02-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
MVP

Re: NCAA Player models

155943.jpg

Figured it out
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Banned

I think it's about time they update their player models...

Won't be till next gen, but it'll be a big disappointment if they screw those ones up too. They had pretty good player models back on the PS2. NCAA '06 was a beauty. Nebraska, K-State, etc. all had their proper sleeve stripes showing and you could tell players were actually wearing shoulder and thigh/knee pads. Nowadays the leg pads look painted on and the shoulder pads look like they are actually part of the players body.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Pro

Gap Integrity's Arena

OVR: 13

You'll have a hard time getting any gamechanger to ask a question that has anything to do with aesthetics in this game. For quite some time we were just trying to get an answer on equipment updates, specifically a QB facemask being added into the game. Their response was that basically no one cared because it wasn't as important as gameplay, and the thread was closed. Amazing how a simple one line question cannot get an answer from anyone. My assumption is that people that become GCer's are worried about being "that guy" who asks a simple cosmetic question, and being judged by their peers. I just wanted an answer. I edit rosters, and would rather not waste my time doing a detailed file when over 1/3 of the starting QB's don't have the correct facemask.

Player models have looked pretty subpar for a while. Broken body sliders, faces being restricted to certain bodies, out of date equipment (gloves, cleats), missing common facemasks, no eye black or mouthpieces, no long hair options for light skinned players, too small of font size on jersey nameplate, sleeve stripes and numbers appear tucked under the pads instead of fitting over them, thigh pads look bad, I could seriously go on for a while.... they need to fix this. It's 2013, and we had half this stuff last generation. It's to the point where I wonder why even bother, why not wait until next year so you get the playoff, possibly player model updates, and probably a smoother playing refined game next gen.

I'd also like to add that I value authentic gameplay much more than cosmetics. Without a great playing game who care what it looks like, but I'm realistic about it. I know it has to take a ton of work by a team to fix or improve gameplay. With that said, it can't take nearly as much effort or time to add some small things like this into a game. It's as if the art team went on hiatus.

Last edited by Gap Integrity; 05-02-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrownsrevenge
You'll have a hard time getting any gamechanger to ask a question that has anything to do with aesthetics in this game. For quite some time we were just trying to get an answer on equipment updates, specifically a QB facemask being added into the game. Their response was that basically no one cared because it wasn't as important as gameplay, and the thread was closed. Amazing how a simple one line question cannot get an answer from anyone. My assumption is that people that become GCer's are worried about being "that guy" who asks a simple cosmetic question, and being judged by their peers. I just wanted an answer. I edit rosters, and would rather not waste my time doing a detailed file when over 1/3 of the starting QB's don't have the correct facemask.

Player models have looked pretty subpar for a while. Broken body sliders, faces being restricted to certain bodies, out of date equipment (gloves, cleats), missing common facemasks, no eye black or mouthpieces, no long hair options for light skinned players, too small of font size on jersey nameplate, sleeve stripes and numbers appear tucked under the pads instead of fitting over them, thigh pads look bad, I could seriously go on for a while.... they need to fix this. It's 2013, and we had half this stuff last generation. It's to the point where I wonder why even bother, why not wait until next year so you get the playoff, possibly player model updates, and probably a smoother playing refined game next gen.

I'd also like to add that I value authentic gameplay much more than cosmetics. Without a great playing game who care what it looks like, but I'm realistic about it. I know it has to take a ton of work by a team to fix or improve gameplay. With that said, it can't take nearly as much effort or time to add some small things like this into a game. It's as if the art team went on hiatus.
I think the word hiatus is being generous. I dont think they actually HAVE a dedicated art team. I know that sounds strange to say and I'm figuring they have art guys to work on the big things like stadiums and things of that nature, but they dont seem to have a full fledge solid art team.

The reason why I'm saying this is because I recall (cant remember if it was an interview, article, twitter post, etc) seeing information from one of the devs stating that the most recent Revo facemasks were actually done by freelancers.

With that being said, and me not knowing how freelance computer artists work, I'm figuring they're probably hired for a day (literally..a day come on, how long can it really take to model a face mask?) come in and whip up a random face mask or maybe two, get a check cut and leave later that night.

Seriously, thats how I think the player models are treated for the simple fact that these items we're asking for are too small for an educated professional art team thats hanging out for a year every day all day not to be able to address easily. Same goes for the phony looking thigh pads, knee pads, etc, etc. Its not like they're designing the next creature in stan winstons studio. I mean, eye black, come on now. I refuse to believe that these guys are THAT lost or incompetent. The simple answer is this team must not exist at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Rookie

The Player Models in this game are HORRENDOUS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »