Home

Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Socks?

This is a discussion on Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Socks? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
Rookie

Illcat's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Sock

I look at it the same way I look at the player names needing to be present for me to be immersed. I could play it but I would not be as into the game if I always saw QB#3. It's a personalized touch that I have come to look forward to and also has a dual purpose. Lots of times I have been relegated to identifying a player by his equipment, especially WRs when they are down-field. Lots of players do no like to look like other players or just want to look good in their uniforms. That's how it was when I played. Another thing specific to the NCAA game is that big brother keeps getting all of the things we want equipment-wise. I just don't understand how Madden's player models look so much better than NCAAs at this point, on this gen. The back-plates, pads, and face-masks on Madden are waaaaaay better and it has been this way a few years now. Usually, we get the Madden stuff a year later but I don't know why the delay with the aforementioned items.

To answer your question, football is more important to me than socks. At the same time the first thing you see notice when you play your first game is what the game looks like. What the players are wearing is a part of that, for a lot of us.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
Pro

StayPlation82's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Equipment heads, Help me understand whats more important to you, Football or Sock

I think EA needs to stop buying licenses in the areas they don't really have to. just create EA branded equipment and presentation for that matter. As long as its similar to what we see on players.(the current generic cleats are horrendous) Also add a lot of variety.

My thing is why are the colors not updated on existing equipment. That alone will go a long way.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

My thought process on this is if EA is truly trying to put the best product out then why do they leave out such obvious details such as the most used facemask in the game today. Of course gameplay trumps all but to me if you are trying to make the best game possible then why get lazy or just straight up ignore the most obvious and popular trends in college football today such as a particular facemask or how players wear socks?

It seems like whenever a popular helmet or face mask comes out it takes around 2-3 years for it to be in the game. I know absolutely nothing about designing video games but I'd like to think it takes less than 2-3 years to put a facemask in.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #20
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
EA touts the authentic college experience right? So how can that be so when the players and equipment don't look authentic. Take my Rutgers for example. They added the new uniforms in later which was great, but it still looked awkward because the cleats were not the right type red base.

Also the assumption people are only looking for art updates and not gameplay fixes is quite short sighted IMO.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Banned

GetReal's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
They are not mutually exclusive. Yes, there is a "dev team" and an "art team", blah, blah, blah....

That being said, everything in the game draws from a limited time/resource budget. I would prefer those resources go toward the dev team developing a sound, working engine and incorporating gameplay assets actually drawn from real player/coach input (player interactions, play design, AI strategy, etc) than acquiring licenses for the endless amount of gear, developing the art assets, and incorporating them into the engine (which would also require input/assistance from the dev team).

Purchasing licenses to replicate gear is not cheap, and acquiring all the licenses fans are screaming for would require a substantial drain on the limited resources that are available.

tl;dr: fix the game first, and then you can spend the time and money to add all the socks, turf cleats with the little nubs, standard grass cleats, 3/4" cleats for rain, fingerless gloves, facemasks for 75 different helmet styles, 27 colors of tape, 12 different types of mouthguards, and pigeons landing on the field in the middle of the 3rd quarter.
Madden has this stuff but NCAA. Resources? Lol. Please...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #22
Banned

There are enough “Gameplay” guys out there preaching, I agree that’s most important but lets bring the rest of the game up to speed as far as AESTHETICS. With apparel / equipment companies like NIKE, ADIDAS, UNDERARMOR, RUSSELL ATHLETICS, RIDDELL Helmets, SCHUTT Helmets, and XENITH Helmets all over the college football landscape I think its about time that EA Sports NCAA Football puts them in the game…You know since, “its in the game!” I’ve always been a HUGE FAN and played this series for many years (16 years now) and would love to continue playing this series but recently the past two years of EA college football games have been disappointing as far as Gameplay / lack of realism to Equipment / Gear used. How last years game made it to market is a simply amazing feat. Concentrate on releasing a product that isn’t full of bugs, freezes constantly, or is a flawed attempt of college football. Dont give us all the Equipment, Helmets, and Gear and then have the Gameplay suck. Dont give us all the Gameplay and then have the wrong Equipment, Helmets, and Gear. It comes off as a half a$$ attempt, EA is a multimillion dollar company if not billion dollar. Figure it out, if you need to hire a consultant group to fix this then get it done.

Last edited by aksarben21; 05-09-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Banned

--Madden has this right but NCAA doesnt! The Schutt Ion helmet chin strap snaps two up top and two below the ear. Not all four by the ear. I understand that they can snap all four down by the ear but look at State or anyone that wears them they snap 2 up high, 2 down by ear.

Also add “Justin Tuck Facemask” to the Schutt Ion helmet.

--THE REVO SPEED HELMETS NEED MORE FACEMASKS! I’ve also included the Riddell Model Number for the facemask. Some of these facemasks have been out for over 3 years!

“s2eg-LW” Its speed 3bar RB but with Speed Robot 1 side pieces, Lemichael James @ Oregon / LaVon Brazill @ OHIO used it.

“s2eg-ii-sp” Its like Air XP helmet with Robot RB Facemask but for Revo Speed. LSU's smoke’n honey badger used it.

“s2bd-sw-sd” Its like Air XP helmet with 2 bar Facemask but for Revo Speed. USC's Matt Barkley and Most QB’s use it in ALL OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL including the latest Heisman Winner from Texas A & M!!!

There is also a single bar of this version for Revo Speed.

“s-kicker” It’s the Kicker Revo Speed Facemask. Alex Henry @ Nebraska used it.

“s3bdu-sp” It’s like Air XP helmet with Full Cage 1 Facemask. The U up top of Facemask but for Revo Speed. Michigan Statelace's William Gholston used it.

“s2bdc-ht-lw” Its the “BIG GRILL” facemask for Revo Speed Helmet. MORE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL ARE WEARING IT, especially Lineman. Notre Dame's Lious Nix used it for the 2012 season.

--Riddell Revo Speed 360 is also absent from this game. I've included facemask model numbers in case these helmets grace us with their appearance in 2014.

“2bd-lw”; its like revo speed helmet but with 3 bar RB facemask but for revo speed 360 helmet. Many K-State players used it.

“2bdc-lw” its like revo speed helmet but with 3 bar LB facemask but for revo speed 360 helmet.

“2eg-lw” its like Revolution helmet but with skill facemask but for revo speed 360 helmet. Oregon's Kenjon Barner used it.

“3bd-lw” its like revo speed helmet but with the full cage facemask but for revo speed 360 helmet.

--Xenith Helmets are completely missing from this game yet worn by many college football teams. Illinois, NC State, and Oregon use them and others also.

--Helmets, No one in College Football uses the Standard Helmet or the Schutt Standard Helmet anymore with the emphasis on player safety. Take them out. No One uses the Bulldog facemask, not one single player in all of college football.

--Adidas Visors, Eye black, Lip Guard mouth pieces, exposed back plates, Short Medium & Long hair for White and Black players, Compression sleeves / pants, and Accurate Socks. They are in the game EA, Please Put them in the Game!
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
They are not mutually exclusive. Yes, there is a "dev team" and an "art team", blah, blah, blah....

That being said, everything in the game draws from a limited time/resource budget. I would prefer those resources go toward the dev team developing a sound, working engine and incorporating gameplay assets actually drawn from real player/coach input (player interactions, play design, AI strategy, etc) than acquiring licenses for the endless amount of gear, developing the art assets, and incorporating them into the engine (which would also require input/assistance from the dev team).

Purchasing licenses to replicate gear is not cheap, and acquiring all the licenses fans are screaming for would require a substantial drain on the limited resources that are available.

tl;dr: fix the game first, and then you can spend the time and money to add all the socks, turf cleats with the little nubs, standard grass cleats, 3/4" cleats for rain, fingerless gloves, facemasks for 75 different helmet styles, 27 colors of tape, 12 different types of mouthguards, and pigeons landing on the field in the middle of the 3rd quarter.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
This!!!

I will admit to falling toward the side from where the original poster is standing on the issue.
But I am also thankful for the "equipment heads" who are watch-dogs on what is missing, could be added, should be added, etc.

However, I can't fathom not buying the game because the socks aren't right, the facemasks don't match, etc. For me, that's where I don't understand the ultimatums -- add helmets or you won't get my money.

(in an attempt to be PC in this PC world: I'm not saying that group is wrong, stupid, misguided or anything, I just don't get championing the choice to spend resources on socks rather than fixing game-play glitches/issues. Not my call. Guess I'm still not PC, but I hope I get credit for trying.)

Last edited by GGGswim; 05-08-2013 at 02:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »