Home

NCAA Football 14 - A Deeper Look at Coach Skills

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 14 - A Deeper Look at Coach Skills within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NCAA Football 14 - A Deeper Look at Coach Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
Trust me, i was going to go on about this one in particular but i'm holding my tongue so I don't have to see people complain about me complaining (the irony). But yes, when I read the blog and saw this one it just confirmed all my feelings I had about this whole "coach skills" thing. Even other things like the one that prevents Icing the Kicker from having as much of an impact (did it really have much of an impact before?), that's something the player himself controls, not a coach. A coach can't make a kicker be composed, that's up to the kicker himself.
I think everyone is aware of the reality. Most of these coach skills are things that can't literally be done in real life. But a lot of us, including me, are looking forward to the variation the skill trees are going to provide. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, the 25% play-recognition skill is going to take forever to reach anyway.

The way I look at it as is that we are finally getting something that will differentiate the good coaches from the bad ones. Adding variation can't hurt, especially when you can just as easily ignore the skill if you choose. I'm certainly not trying to invalidate your point, because it's a good one, but there are two sides of the coin here.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

OVR: 23
Yeah, I am hoping that it takes a while to level up. I also hope there is some kind of deterrent from running up the score.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #27
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxboy99
Yeah, I am hoping that it takes a while to level up. I also hope there is some kind of deterrent from running up the score.
There isn't in real life which is why you see some teams that love to run up the score because they think it will help them in the eyes of the poll voters.

Didn't they used to penalize in the past for running up the score? And they did so even if you weren't really running up the score. Like if you were up 10 in the 4th quarter and scored a td you'd see the -10XP Sportsmanship for running up the score? So maybe that's what they still do.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 05-30-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #28
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Hopefully the slow progression setting for coach leveling truly is slow.

I believe you can get xp for kneeling in the 4th quarter, if I'm remembering a screen shot correctly.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
MVP

boxboy99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
There isn't in real life which is why you see some teams that love to run up the score because they think it will help them in the eyes of the poll voters.
I agree, I just hope there is a limit to xp earned in a game. I played OD with 7 other friends and a couple love to run it up.

That would be sweet if you earn xp for kneeling.
2017: 93-69 - Swept by Red Sox in World Series
2018: 100-62 - Swept by Dodgers in NLCS
2019: 14-11
Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

Quote:
I agree, I just hope there is a limit to xp earned in a game. I played OD with 7 other friends and a couple love to run it up.

yea i edited my last post after I remembered in the past they used to penalize you XP for running up the score. I remember once getting penalized for sportsmanship for scoring a TD with less than 5 mins in the 4th qtr when I was only up 7 points at the time. They said I was running up the socre. Not that I really cared about XP but i'm thinking it's probably something similar that they might do.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

You get 10 XP every time you kneel in the last minute of the 4th when up. There's a screen shot of that on the gaming tailgate website.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #32
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
I hate how theres a coach skill that lets you know what play the opponent ran and gives a 25% chance of knowing what play they will run next..

That's part of being a coach, recognizing an offense and their tendencies, and being a good play caller. It seems EA has essentially conceded to the fact of stick skills being more important then football IQ to be good at this game.

Instead of expecting you to recognize the offenses plays and tendencies the game tells you their play automatically.

I cant believe how no one has brought this up yet.. its disgraceful that they would have a skill like that in my opinion.

You used to be able to play Madden/NCAA and learn the game of football but now I fear its becoming more of an arcade style series where timing your jukes and pressing the right button is more important to winning then being able to read defenses and make smart calls. I fear a day when it will be impossible to 'out coach' your opponent.
I've never liked guess pitch/play mechanics in sports games. It is a risk/reward system that is already perfectly replicated by the user. This is the one skill I don't like on paper, although I wouldn't be that bothered by it if they at least reduced level 3 to 10-15% maximum. Hopefully they get some negative feedback and change that number by launch, at least with a tuner or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »