Home

Accentuated Clock

This is a discussion on Accentuated Clock within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Accelerated Clock

Anyone see any info if this was finally added this year?

Madden's had if for a couple years now, hopefully NCAA has gotten it together.

Can I get a mod to change this title to
"accelerated clock" thx!

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

Last edited by DirtyJerz32; 06-01-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Accentuated Clock

Gotta love auto-correct!

And no, I haven't heard anything about it.
Attached Images
File Type: png accentuated clock.PNG (6.4 KB, 342 views)
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Accelerated Clock

Hate auto correct.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

Last edited by DirtyJerz32; 06-01-2013 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #4
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

This is sorely needed in NCAA.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm still curious how this would work in an NCAA game due to the no huddle. Here's my understanding of accelerated clock (I don't play Madden):
You can set it so that the clock always runs down when you leave the huddle to (I'm guessing here) say 15s.
By doing this, perhaps (guessing again) 20s per play instantly disappear.
By having all this time disappear it allows you to play 15 minute quarters while still getting a realistic # of plays per game.

Is that about the gist of it?

If so, then how would that work in NCAA with the plethora of teams that run a no huddle offense? If you're running a no huddle, then you wouldn't have this time disappearing from the clock. With a huddle team, the average "clock time" per play would be greatly increased with the run off, but with a no huddle team, the average "clock time" per play should be the same as it is now without an accelerated clock. In NCAA games, with 7 minute quarters, 2 no huddle teams can already hit way more plays than huddling teams, but it's still realistic for no huddle teams due to the 7 minute quarters. If the game were played with 15 minute quarters, then 2 no huddle teams (and probably even just 1 no huddle team) would end up with twice as many plays as they're supposed to and you'd end up with crazy unrealistic stats.

If any of that makes sense, then how do you think they could do an accelerated clock in NCAA where there are so many no huddle teams?
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #6
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'm still curious how this would work in an NCAA game due to the no huddle. Here's my understanding of accelerated clock (I don't play Madden):
You can set it so that the clock always runs down when you leave the huddle to (I'm guessing here) say 15s.
By doing this, perhaps (guessing again) 20s per play instantly disappear.
By having all this time disappear it allows you to play 15 minute quarters while still getting a realistic # of plays per game.

Is that about the gist of it?

If so, then how would that work in NCAA with the plethora of teams that run a no huddle offense? If you're running a no huddle, then you wouldn't have this time disappearing from the clock. With a huddle team, the average "clock time" per play would be greatly increased with the run off, but with a no huddle team, the average "clock time" per play should be the same as it is now without an accelerated clock. In NCAA games, with 7 minute quarters, 2 no huddle teams can already hit way more plays than huddling teams, but it's still realistic for no huddle teams due to the 7 minute quarters. If the game were played with 15 minute quarters, then 2 no huddle teams (and probably even just 1 no huddle team) would end up with twice as many plays as they're supposed to and you'd end up with crazy unrealistic stats.

If any of that makes sense, then how do you think they could do an accelerated clock in NCAA where there are so many no huddle teams?

The accelerated clock is meant to compensate for the speed at which a player can call the play and break the huddle. In real life packages have to actually be swapped (you don't just press a button and all of a sudden those players are in your huddle), the ball takes longer to spot in real life, the plays take longer to be called/sent in. There are so many things that chew up time in a real game, yet in NCAA, playing with offense that huddles I can have all that stuff that takes up significant chunks of the play/game clock done in no time flat.

Basically the speed at which the offense is run in NCAA Football 13 is more akin to a 2-Minute Drill in real life. By running 15-20 seconds off the clock when I break huddle it simulates the time that would have been spent making subs, relaying the play and getting huddled up.

I mean at best Oregon gets a play off after ~15 seconds, so yeah they are going to have more plays than the typical huddling team if the Ducks are in fact moving the ball (it could be that they go 3 and out in 1 minute vs. 3 minutes for the other team). When 2 no-huddle teams play each other in real life there are more plays and the game goes faster.

Sure the no-huddle may mess with how long you have to make the games but its better than not including an accelerated clock because in non-simmed games a no-huddle team may wind up with more plays that normal.

Also 7 Minutes with huddling does not get you realistic results at the higher difficulties (at least not in my experience), I've found that you have to choose what stats you want to be realistic in that case (do I want to get the right rushing stats or the right passing stats because unless I am moving the ball every single drive on Heisman there is no way 7 minutes will get me there).
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
Gator Bait

Swamp Swagger's Arena

OVR: 9
Always dislikes the fast clock. I mean they have it in Ncaa with the gameplan setting so what's the difference?

I think it's better in Ncaa because you get a choice between a slow clock or a fast one
Old 06-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Accentuated Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Swagger
Always dislikes the fast clock. I mean they have it in Ncaa with the gameplan setting so what's the difference?

I think it's better in Ncaa because you get a choice between a slow clock or a fast one
this wasn't needed in the good ol' days when college FB had a 25 second play clock that started when the ref spotted the ball. (i miss that) for the ncaa games on last-gen, it worked perfectly, you could skip the post play cutscenes by pressing A and go right to the playcalling screen and that 25 second clock would start up, or you could wait a few seconds and then it would start when the ref spotted it, so you could get a few extra seconds to pick a play.

however when they changed to a 40 second play clock that starts when a play ends, it creates a lot of time waiting time in a video game, and you easily can break the huddle with 30 or 35 seconds left on the play clock. this is why there are many less possessions and less plays in college football these days. now you can just milk the clock and wait for 20 seconds at the LOS where before it wasn't like that.

when you play the old ncaa games on last-gen, you see what i mean. you don't need an accelerated play-clock in those game, the rules at that time didn't require that to be in there. it's only really needed with the 40 second play clock. If I remember correctly NFL Fever 2000 had an accelerated play clock option, and i think it would put the play clock down to 20 seconds if you broke the huddle with more then 20 seconds left on the play clock.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »