Home

Polynesian Recruits

This is a discussion on Polynesian Recruits within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Polynesian Recruits

So I was thinking about starting a dynasty with Hawaii, but one thing that bugs me is the lack of polynesian/hawaiian generated recruits. I suppose I could just edit them once I recruit them, but I would have no idea what names to give them lol.

Does anyone else find this bothersome? What are some ideas/workarounds for this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 29
Re: Polynesian Recruits

Look up Hawaii's white pages on the internet. All the names you need right there.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Rookie

serrano53's Arena

OVR: 2

find one poly you find them all lol my girl friend is samoan and i swear i feel like i know the whole island
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Rookie

hossafan91's Arena

OVR: 11

I agree that there should be some Hawaiian recruits. In reality, there should be something like FIFA where each state/region has specific names and players for it. obviously, EA would need to be careful to not be racist in any way with this.

Another added thing for recruits would be more international ones. I know that a lot of teams have Australian punters, and other countries are getting into football and have some recruits as well. would be cool to see

"Who I am is not important, my message is." -Revan

http://www.operationsports.com/hossa...-jackson-story
Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree, it bugs me too. As someone said though, this can be such a slippery slope. To put it as delicately as possible, people of different races tend to favor different first names for their children. The game just randomizes it, which leads to some bizarre combinations of player race/name. To make it a little less random would be a welcome change and I don't think would be considered racist.

However, could you apply the same principles to player positions? I could run a statistical analysis to show that there is a very low percentage of Caucasian players that play CB. If that was built into the game, would that be "racist"? (rhetorical question only)

What if I ran a statistical study to show that Caucasian players typically run slower versus players of similar size and I built that into the game? Is this "racist"? (rhetorical question only)

I can drive this down to even worse potential stereotypes (the old "black QB myth") but I'm not going to go there.

So while I agree that adding polynesian recruits would be a welcome addition, I would not blame EA one bit if they never did that. You'd be opening a can of worms the minute someone complains about a 6'1" 350 lb Polynesian recruit perpetuating racial stereotypes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I agree, it bugs me too. As someone said though, this can be such a slippery slope. To put it as delicately as possible, people of different races tend to favor different first names for their children. The game just randomizes it, which leads to some bizarre combinations of player race/name. To make it a little less random would be a welcome change and I don't think would be considered racist.

However, could you apply the same principles to player positions? I could run a statistical analysis to show that there is a very low percentage of Caucasian players that play CB. If that was built into the game, would that be "racist"? (rhetorical question only)

What if I ran a statistical study to show that Caucasian players typically run slower versus players of similar size and I built that into the game? Is this "racist"? (rhetorical question only)

I can drive this down to even worse potential stereotypes (the old "black QB myth") but I'm not going to go there.

So while I agree that adding polynesian recruits would be a welcome addition, I would not blame EA one bit if they never did that. You'd be opening a can of worms the minute someone complains about a 6'1" 350 lb Polynesian recruit perpetuating racial stereotypes.
I see what ur saying, but I don't understand how adding polynesian players would be considered racist at all. It would just be adding more diversity to the game and making it more realistic.

To go with ur other point, idk if anyone else has encountered or observed this, but in every dynasty I have played there are an enormous amount of african american punters/kickers among the generated recruits. All I'm gonna say about it is that it's bizarre lol.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
Banned

mailman2's Arena

OVR: 0

LOL yeah there are too many white Safeties/CBs in games lo.l I mean I'm sure there are a few in the college ranks but not to be racist most are black. And black punters? The only team I heard of having a black punter or kicker is Morgan State, and thats like a mostly black school. Just saying. I won't complain about black QBs or white linebackers tho as we have a lot of them nowadays.

Quarterback (32 starters)

26- White (81 percent)
6- Black (19 percent)

Wide Receiver (64 starters)

59- Black (92 percent)
3- White (5 percent)
1- Other (2 percent)

Running Back (32 starters)

32- Black (100 percent)

Fullback (32 starters)

21- Black (66 percent)
10- White (31 percent)
1- Other (3 percent)

Tight End (32 starters)

18- White (56 percent)
13- Black (41 percent)
1- Other (3 percent)

Offensive Line (160 starters)

79- White (49 percent)
72- Black (45 percent)
8- Other (5 percent)

Defensive Line (119 starters)

94- Black (79 percent)
21- White (18 percent)
4- Other (3 percent)

Defensive Back (128 starters)

123- Black (96 percent)
4- White (3 percent)
1- Other (1 percent)

Linebacker (105 starters)

78- Black (74 percent)
23- White (22 percent)
4- Other (4 percent)

Placekicker (32 starters)

32- White (100 percent)

Punter (32 starters)

31- White (97 percent)
1- Black (3 percent)

Last edited by mailman2; 06-08-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plak89
I see what ur saying, but I don't understand how adding polynesian players would be considered racist at all. It would just be adding more diversity to the game and making it more realistic.
I actually agree with you, but if I worked at EA, I would think hard and long about the "worst case". Today's society is too childish about stuff like this and some moron would cry foul, saying it was racist, would file some lawsuit and then it's a big mess.....

The safe play from a business perspective is not to invite this sort of posturing. This is also why player race for recruits is randomly generated, irrespective of position, name, size, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »