Home

A General Suggestion For All Console Owners Re Game Freezing

This is a discussion on A General Suggestion For All Console Owners Re Game Freezing within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
A General Suggestion For All Console Owners Re Game Freezing

I own a 360, but the following suggestion applies equally to both 360 and PS3 consoles.

These devices need adequate ventilation in order for the internal heat to be properly dissipated during operation. Consider implementing the following guidelines for adequate ventilation:

1. If your console is sitting flat on a surface. use some sort of external "feet" to elevate the console from that surface. Examples are: 4 small coasters placed under the corners of the console to elevate it by at least an inch. Another easily-obtainable item are the hard rubber "feet" that are designed to be placed under furniture legs. They can be purchased at any home improvement store and are what I use for all of my electronic devices.

2. Keep the area around the console clear of other devices so that air can circulate around the console. This suggestion is particularly important if your console is nestled among other electronic devices such as AV Receivers, which also generate heat.

3. Make sure that the entire area in which your console is placed has adequate ventilation. Open shelving is preferable to a closed cabinet.

Heat buildup can not only cause a device to fail, but can also cause a device to perform erratically. Some devices are better designed for heat-dissipation than other devices. My 360 is not particularly well-designed for heat dissipation, so I make sure that I do not hinder it's capability to dissipate heat by poor placement choices.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: A General Suggestion For All Console Owners Re Game Freezing

On ps3 I found that making sure there are no finger prints on the disk is huge.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

Those are some great suggestions Art01.

These are very helpful suggestions that I hope people will take into consideration. So many times have I seen people place electronics into closed cabinetry/entertainment console/centers and the heat from these devices just circulate inside damaging your equipment.

Have just one more tip for players that are experiencing laggy performance or their console is freezing up.

Take a break from the game!! This allows for that heat to dissipate and also give you the player a rest. Leaving your system on for days at a time is a bad, bad, bad.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
On ps3 I found that making sure there are no finger prints on the disk is huge.
Fingerprints or any other contaminants on the reflective (non-label) side of any CD or DVD can cause skips or other erratic performance in any player. Anything that disturbs the laser's ability to read data can cause problems. Handle the disc by grasping it in the center hole and the outer edge - do not touch the reflective surface.

If the console has been subjected to any rough handling (dropped or knocked about), then the tracking mechanism may have gotten out of alignment. This issue would result in frequent playing issues on most, if not all, discs. Repair or replacement is the only cure for this problem.

I have experienced a number of momentary game freezes on both NCAA13 and NCAA14. However, I have never had the game lock up as a result of a freeze. The freeze clears itself after a few seconds and the action continues without other game impact. I have the games installed on my HD, so there is minimal disc access during game play. My guess is that there is some in-game coding issue which initiates the freeze, but whether or not the freeze causes a game lock-up may be related to the general health of the console.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Downloaded from PSN, still freezes occasionally. I figured if there's no disc , less chance of disc errors but.... no luck. My console sits on open shelf with lots of open air and it doesn't stay on for hours.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Pro

Wilk5280's Arena

OVR: 11

For PS3 users experiencing temp. freezes & not sure if this will work for everyone, but it's worth a shot. Also not to jinx myself because I've only tested it out by playing one half of football, but it was without issue. Not a single 1-3 second freeze at the snap during that half.

What I did was restore the file system. If you are not aware of how to do this just google "restore file system PS3"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »