Home

Forming opinions - NCAA 14

This is a discussion on Forming opinions - NCAA 14 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
Rookie

grabursock55's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Forming opinions - NCAA 14

guys, its a video game. Your livelihood isn't dependent on this game. If you dont want to buy the game, then dont buy it! simple! everyone needs to chill out
Old 06-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #10
Rookie

Lzydd's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
I'm certainly no fan boy, not by a long shot. I see EA as a pretty horrible company, and their exclusivity is a horrible thing. People are free to form any opinion they want from the demo, that's the point of them. I just wanted to know why people place what seems to be a very finalising opinion things just from the demo, be it positive or negative?

Nice to see you throwing the stereotypes out there straight out of the gate though, good effort!

Putting it this way, using an example. You're playing NCAA, it's a bowl game. You are 4th and 10, 2 minutes to go, on half way, no time outs left. You have to pass, drop back, and you get sacked. Your left tackle didn't stop the DE, blew right by him. If you're playing the demo, you probably criticise the line play, probably say the demo is poor, maybe say that it's not been programmed very well.

That same scenario happens in NCAA 14, you're playing the release copy of the game. Maybe you recruited that left tackle because with a few stats improved here and there, you could have a pretty solid player, but you haven't quite got his awareness and pass blocking up yet, and it let you down at a key time. And that LT will be back next year and will be pretty solid. Maybe it was down to the player, and his ratings, and you can see the context of that, and you've performed above expectation to get where you did during the season, instead of just blaming the play of the demo.

Just an example, and perhaps not even the best, but still, it helps to illustrate what I'm getting at.

If you wanna discuss the topic I proposed, lets do it. If you only have standard "fan boy" nonsense to spew out there that has no relevance to a perfectly legitimate question that I asked, then you may as well jog on, cause I'm not interested.
Brilliant, here's my scenario:

It's 2014, and for some reason all my defensive backs have regressed in their ability to play zone defense, or even just align correctly, since 2008 (the last NCAA game I seriously played, on the PS2). However, their inability to cover anything but grass is due to the current concern over concussions. In a world gone mad, children no longer play pee-wee or high school football, so when they come to college they are blissfully unaware of the basics of lining up properly (hint EA: no coach in the world requires their defensive back, much less a linebacker, to run across the entire field to cover a receiver after the snap) or playing zone defense. It will be my job to mold these young men into footbaw players, and while I will never be able to get through to some of the denser ones (i.e.: defenders), I will be able to impart knowledge to the offensive players.

Wait, ****, scenario blown; why are the offensive players so good in this scenario. Maybe they've been running routes for years against grass (because that's fun...)? So close, yet so far.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzydd
Brilliant, here's my scenario:

It's 2014, and for some reason all my defensive backs have regressed in their ability to play zone defense, or even just align correctly, since 2008 (the last NCAA game I seriously played, on the PS2). However, their inability to cover anything but grass is due to the current concern over concussions. In a world gone mad, children no longer play pee-wee or high school football, so when they come to college they are blissfully unaware of the basics of lining up properly (hint EA: no coach in the world requires their defensive back, much less a linebacker, to run across the entire field to cover a receiver after the snap) or playing zone defense. It will be my job to mold these young men into footbaw players, and while I will never be able to get through to some of the denser ones (i.e.: defenders), I will be able to impart knowledge to the offensive players.

Wait, ****, scenario blown; why are the offensive players so good in this scenario. Maybe they've been running routes for years against grass (because that's fun...)? So close, yet so far.
I can see creating this thread was quite the waste of the 90 seconds it took to type. Impressive effort people, you have outdone yourselves in the reasoned discussion stakes.

Boring
Boring
Troll
Boring
Boring

If NCAA is such a programming abomination, why are you people even on a forum discussing NCAA games?

Anyone wanting to actually surmise an opinion on why demos are so highly regarded and considered so singularly, go nuts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

I get where you are coming from. But everyone else is also making a good point. You cant enjoy the game winning score as time expires, or getting that start recruit. If the game play is bad. While i think its very good this year. Some other dont and thats their opinion. I have been able to fix majority of my problems with sliders. Ill be getting the game and enjoying it. If others dont want to get it thats their choice and they can go enjoy a different game of their choosing.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
I get where you are coming from. But everyone else is also making a good point. You cant enjoy the game winning score as time expires, or getting that start recruit. If the game play is bad. While i think its very good this year. Some other dont and thats their opinion. I have been able to fix majority of my problems with sliders. Ill be getting the game and enjoying it. If others dont want to get it thats their choice and they can go enjoy a different game of their choosing.
Good post. Each to their own indeed. I'm not saying people shouldn't have opinions of games once they have played the demo. Companies release demos after all to get people to like their games. I just always wondered why sports games, EA games, the demo seems to just be so critical, and evoke such a strong response one way or the other.

I get that the gameplay is integral to the overall quality of the product, I guess even though I can swear at the TV when my guard pulls and totally ignores a linebacker he should block, or the CPU runs the ball with 30 seconds to go down 7, I never see the gameplay as so broken I'm instantly turned off or can't even enjoy the peripheral things that are taking place outside the gameplay. Each to their own again I guess!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
Good post. Each to their own indeed. I'm not saying people shouldn't have opinions of games once they have played the demo. Companies release demos after all to get people to like their games. I just always wondered why sports games, EA games, the demo seems to just be so critical, and evoke such a strong response one way or the other.

I get that the gameplay is integral to the overall quality of the product, I guess even though I can swear at the TV when my guard pulls and totally ignores a linebacker he should block, or the CPU runs the ball with 30 seconds to go down 7, I never see the gameplay as so broken I'm instantly turned off or can't even enjoy the peripheral things that are taking place outside the gameplay. Each to their own again I guess!
because Demos have essentially replaced renting games. I don't know about your town but I don't think I have a single video store left in mine. When I was a kid I used to get to rent video games and if I liked them then i'd ask my parents to buy them for me. When they came up with ability for companies to give us a demo of the game to try before it comes out, that was a way for me to gauge whether or not I would want to buy the game. Companies release demos with the hopes that you will play them, like what you see and decide to buy the real thing. They don't just give us demos just cause. There is a reason behind it.

Yes there are things like Gamefly out there to allow you to still rent video games but A. i don't want to wait for a game to be mailed to me and B. companies offer Preorder bonuses to give you incentive to get the game on release day but if you want to wait and rent the game first then you don't get these preorder bonuses.

We all understand demos aren't the full game, demos will not be perfect just like retail versions of games will not be perfect but the demo gives you a pretty solid indication of what to expect from the retail version. A retail version of a game isn't going to be completely different from what you're experiencing with the demo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »