Home

Intentional grounding

This is a discussion on Intentional grounding within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8
Intentional grounding

Not a big issue, but in trying to make the game rules more effective, am I missing something? If the quarterback throws ball away in the pocket while under the pressure, isn't that intentional grounding? Excuse my ignorance, I thought it was under pressure and throwing the ball into the ground but I also thought if under pressure and throwing it away in the pocket was Intentional grounding ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Intentional grounding

If you're inside the tackle box you can throw it away, but it must be somewhat close to a receiver. It's only intentional grounding if there is no receiver near where you threw the ball.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I have never seen the game call grounding n the CPU. I think it's because the game knows it was trying to throw to a receiver so even if the ball lands with no one around for 30 yards the CPU goes"ohh well I know that was intended for X. I got hit as I threw so the pass sailed off but still, I threw to X so it's not grounding." It's honestly really cheap. I've seen the game throw while being dragged down right out of bounds near no one and have nothing called.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Pro

Orange Krush's Arena

OVR: 2

I have also never seen intentional grounding called on the CPU, even after the QB throws it straight out of bounds right after taking the snap. I really wish penalties were more relevant in this game. Right now they are basically a non-factor.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Banned

XxJustAguessxX's Arena

OVR: 8

I wish there was a way to properly implement this, it's sad it's 2013, they have come a hell of a ways but they seem to not know how to effectively put things in the game and have them work. Even the play were the QB is getting hit and the ball plops out and is not called a fumble but not a pass either, makes me scratch my head.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Gator Bait

Swamp Swagger's Arena

OVR: 9
It's cheap how the computer can throw away the ball and never get called.

For you even if a Wr is in the area if you click they throw away button while in the pocket you get flagged even if like a said a Wr is near
Old 06-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 13

It's the same as clipping and illegal block in the back. Game always calls clipping when illegal block should be called. It's the difference between a 10 and 15 yard penalty. Makes these game look bad when a clipping call is called when you can clearly see the player has his hands on the guy's back.

At Alabama, our players don't win Heisman Trophies. Our teams win National Championships.-Bear Bryant
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krush
If you're inside the tackle box you can throw it away, but it must be somewhat close to a receiver. It's only intentional grounding if there is no receiver near where you threw the ball.
Not entirely true, as there can be intentional grounding outside the tackle box. There are three ways to avoid intentional grounding:

1) A receiver with an opportunity to catch the pass, not "in the area of the pass". Either way, there are no clear guidelines and the rule is ambiguous. The rulebook states "When in question, the Team A player has a reasonable opportunity to catch the pass."

If there is no receiver who can catch the pass, BOTH of the following conditions must be met to avoid intentional grounding:

2) QB must be outside of the "tackle box". The tackle box is not really a box, but imaginary lines parallel to the sidelines 5 yards in each direction from the center. It doesn't matter where the tackles are at any point, the box is 10 yards wide. "Tackle box" is somewhat misleading, as unless the team is using ridiculously wide offensive line splits, the tight end would be inside the "tackle" box.

3) The pass MUST at least reach the neutral zone before hitting the ground or going out-of-bounds. For the purposes of this rule, the spot a pass that goes out-of-bounds is where it crosses the sideline, not where it hits the ground out-of-bounds.

NCAA Football has done a poor job of implementing Intentional Grounding for both the user and the CPU. Either fix it for both the user and the CPU or remove it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »