Home

Anyone Think EA Went Overboard With Ratings?

This is a discussion on Anyone Think EA Went Overboard With Ratings? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: Anyone Think EA Went Overboard With Ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACardAttack
But then progression and new recruits will undo the editing a couple seasons down the road
Not true because I've edited the recruits through the Recruit Tab.

Also, the Speed of Progression is built into the Coach's Prestige Rating.
Prestige is increased by meeting goals (ie beat rival, rank in top 10 etc...) which can be altered.

As I've noted in the Dynasty Editor thread, you can simply hex the "Goals" for Coach's and Players towards the end of the Dynasty file.

You can allocate how much points can be earned for reaching goals as a Coach or Player.

**Many easy player goals have a 20 pt gain for reaching (ie rush for 1000 yrds etc...), that's one of the main issues why players are progressing too fast.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #34
Rookie

nikka's Arena

OVR: 5

The Ole Miss rating is skewed because of a couple head scratching ratings.

The back up QB is rated an 87 OVR. I'd say he is more like a 79 OVR, good athlete terrible arm

Our LT is rated 92 OVR and is maybe the 4th best OLineman in the starting 5, realistically i'd say he warrants a 83-84 OVR

Our RG is rated 90 OVR has only started maybe 3 games in his 4 years, he is the least talented of the starting 5, 81 OVR makes sense

Our back up MLB hasn't played football in 2 years due to ACL surgery and is rated 87 OVR. Considering he has looked good in the spring and was on verge of breaking out into an ALL-SEC player before injury, i'd give him a 78 OVR.

So that skews it a bit but Ole Miss isn't far off at all. I'd say 87-88 Team rating is about right. Most national media sports prognosticators are picking us to break out and win 8-9 games. I'm not but the talent is there for it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #35
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Player ratings may be high but team ratings are much better IMO.

There were 32 teams with at least a 90 OVR last year. There is only 25 this year.

5 99's last year and 17 95+. One 99 this year and only 3 at 95.

Certain teams may be higher than they should but overall its much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #36
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1

Thanks for putting that into perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Player ratings may be high but team ratings are much better IMO.

There were 32 teams with at least a 90 OVR last year. There is only 25 this year.

5 99's last year and 17 95+. One 99 this year and only 3 at 95.

Certain teams may be higher than they should but overall its much better.
18 time National Champions
53 Conference Championships
NCAA 14: 614-182
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBucks011
Yeah I agree, EA always overdoes the ratings...I'm a huge buckeye fan but a 96 for Braxton Miller entering his Jr. year?? Maybe if he goes off and wins a Heisman would that be deserving, but not quite yet. Same with AJ McCarron, a 97?! All the dude does is manage the game while Bama's O-Line plows everyone over. Not to mention Bama has like 5 WR's over 85 OVR.

In my opinion a 99 overall team rating should go to a team that is unstoppable, a team that should never lose..Like all-time great teams. I like how they do it in Madden much better, the best teams are low to mid 90's with the worst teams being low 70's. Madden is also much stricter on the individual player ratings which I like better as well. There seems to be a huge log jam around the 90 overall team rating (unrealistic because obviously some of these teams are overrated) which really reduces the separation of the "Above-Average" and "Good" teams

That being said I understand where EA is coming from for the NCAA football series, trying to appeal to the more casual fan. Thankful for roster editing too. Still can't wait to starting playing online dynasties!
From what I highlighted red in your post, I have a couple questions:

1) If 3 out of the last 4 National Championships doesn't define an all-time great team, then what does?

By the way, the way Saban coaches defense there are a lot of different player combinations that he plays in certain situations. Many players that aren't considered to be starters get just as much playing time as the ones listed ahead of them on the depth chart. This works like a transitional time in a players career that grooms him to be a quality starter when his time comes. Look at the way Bama has recruited the last several years... losing starters means little with a well oiled machine like Alabama.

2) You say AJ McCarron doesn't do anything but manage games and let the O-line plow everyone over... did you watch any of Alabama's games?

Yes it is true that Alabama has had a very strong running game over the last 2 seasons that McCarron has been the starter. And yes that makes his job a little bit easier, but I think he is deserving of a 95+ rating. Look at his TD to INT ratio from last season. Look at his stats in both National Championship games. IMHO, his stats and leadership qualities, not to mention his sheer numbers of wins and championships makes him one of the few that deserve such a high rating.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #38
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

IMO the worst is Old Dominion at 70 OVR. This is their 5th year of football, and they're still technically an FCS team. They should be about a 62-64.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #39
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgators1
USF went 3-9 last year and is an 88
Where'd you see that?? USF is an 84..
Old 06-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #40
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDenverFan
IMO the worst is Old Dominion at 70 OVR. This is their 5th year of football, and they're still technically an FCS team. They should be about a 62-64.
Could not agree more.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »