Home

Defending "Elite" Offenses

This is a discussion on Defending "Elite" Offenses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 AM   #25
MVP

EAGLESFAN10's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Defending "Elite" Offenses

One of my things on Defending Elite Offense is no matter if their a great running OR passing OR both I attack the O-line and being more Physical with them especially if their more of a Finesse and Speed type team like Oregon

Most of the time I go by the situation and their personnel

I basically run a Stanford Type Defense

I also Recruit very very well on defense ..... and you have to make sure you have sure tacklers from the Starters to the Backups

Oregon vs Stanford : This is how you stop an "ELITE" Offense but remember Their offense will start clicking on you in just a matter of time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Nz95JaNaI

Like somebody said before let the RB(s) hurt you because the QB can be the most dangerous because they can Run AND Pass

BRON IS THE GOAT!!

Louisville, Kentucky is My Hometown
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
Rookie

IForm's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
One of my things on Defending Elite Offense is no matter if their a great running OR passing OR both I attack the O-line and being more Physical with them especially if their more of a Finesse and Speed type team like Oregon

Most of the time I go by the situation and their personnel

I basically run a Stanford Type Defense

I also Recruit very very well on defense ..... and you have to make sure you have sure tacklers from the Starters to the Backups

Oregon vs Stanford : This is how you stop an "ELITE" Offense but remember Their offense will start clicking on you in just a matter of time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Nz95JaNaI

Like somebody said before let the RB(s) hurt you because the QB can be the most dangerous because they can Run AND Pass

Although that video is absolutely fantastic in regards to stopping a elite offense in real life, unfortunately in NCAA you can't do most of the things Stanford did to control that game (excellent gap control, DLine reading correctly and destroying the OLine) because it is simply out of your control and EA loves offense too much.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #27
Rookie

prototype561's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IForm
Although that video is absolutely fantastic in regards to stopping a elite offense in real life, unfortunately in NCAA you can't do most of the things Stanford did to control that game (excellent gap control, DLine reading correctly and destroying the OLine) because it is simply out of your control and EA loves offense too much.
I agree, Stanford's DLine controlled that game. Stanford is a physical and smart team, this is why they give Oregon such a hard time every year. You would think with all the talent USC has they would play more like this(coaching?).

What I noticed both in real life and on the game is sometimes you have to play bend but don't break defense against high powered spread attacks. For example, the LSU vs. WVU game a few years ago, WVU had almost 600 yds. against a good LSU defense, but they couldn't score. They could move the ball between the 20's, but the closer they got the endzone it was harder for them to spread the field. LSU ended up winning 47-21 I think.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
Rookie

IForm's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype561
I agree, Stanford's DLine controlled that game. Stanford is a physical and smart team, this is why they give Oregon such a hard time every year. You would think with all the talent USC has they would play more like this(coaching?).

What I noticed both in real life and on the game is sometimes you have to play bend but don't break defense against high powered spread attacks. For example, the LSU vs. WVU game a few years ago, WVU had almost 600 yds. against a good LSU defense, but they couldn't score. They could move the ball between the 20's, but the closer they got the endzone it was harder for them to spread the field. LSU ended up winning 47-21 I think.
Due to a lack of defense on the game since they introduced "WIDE OPEN GAMEPLAY" I have been running a bend but don't break defense for the past couple years. I don't really play offline but online it is probably the best option because so many people try to force things that aren't there.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
Rookie

In NCAA you must with the turnover battle. In the NCAA series, a punt is a turnover. Getting the ball first and not scoring last before halftime is a turnover. Basically, in this game, any drive the does not end in a TD is a turnover.

I defend "elite offenses by having less turnovers than the opponent.

Since there isn't game film to study I use the first drive to identify what the opponent like to do. What passing concept and route combinations do they like. How to they attack certain coverages? How often will they run 4 vert? Once you have their tendencies, then it become a chess game. Its a battle between what I will take away and what I will concede on every play and I will making it all look the same.

I noticed many users struggle to get to the 3rd and 4th passing progression. If I take away a read with coverage and take away a read with the user controlled player, I may be able to cause a mistake. I just need one to cause a turnover.

Last edited by Starter; 07-01-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

It would be great if read-and-react defense was a feature brought to every position, but maybe they have the capacity to do that next-gen. The example of Stanford's DL is perfect. When I was coaching at the high school level, the best DL I coached was also the smartest and we were able to teach them to read the keys of the offensive linemen and blow up their blocks. This left our LB's free and the whole unit played better.

Back to the gaming world ... I agree with a previous point that the pass rush is pretty poor in the video game. I like to play as a LB, and what I do to try and rememdy that is to switch to a D-lineman in the instant that I ready pass. I then do whatever move I can to try and get pressure. It's more "random" as to what player you will get on the line and so you don't end up with one D-lineman with all the sacks (if you get there). I'm so poor at user-controlling a guy in pass coverage that it's better that I do this anyways.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Just started!

OVR: 0

Best way to stop somebody's offense is to control the clock, win the turnover battle, and learn the other players tendencies.

Also don't listen to the "if you don't score a touchdown, it's basically a turnover" talk because another very important part of playing defense is giving your opponent bad field position. Also being unpredictable will definitely help the defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredthabest
Best way to stop somebody's offense is to control the clock, win the turnover battle, and learn the other players tendencies.

Also don't listen to the "if you don't score a touchdown, it's basically a turnover" talk because another very important part of playing defense is giving your opponent bad field position. Also being unpredictable will definitely help the defense.
Field position is important, but in this game EA skews the game towards offensive shootouts. And to an "elite offensive opponent in this game, field position means nothing. Obviously no touchdown =turnover is not valid, but it points to a state of mind. Scoring points puts pressure on the defense. And pressure usually causes mistakes. Mistakes usually equals stops. Games against users online that don't cheese(oxymoron?) usually come down to a few stops.

It's ok to punt, actually I think you get a boost in momentum when you punt. Just make sure you get a stop and the ball back.

Many real life football principles do not apply to EA version of football.

Last edited by Starter; 07-01-2013 at 03:32 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »