Home

Defending "Elite" Offenses

This is a discussion on Defending "Elite" Offenses within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Defending "Elite" Offenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
But then we might be able to hold a user team under 35 points.
I'm hoping that this is a great exaggeration. In my SMU OD on TSO, I've played 69 user games and only 4 times has a user scored 35+ points against me. This is with me running a no huddle offense (so my offense moves at a faster pasce) on 7 minute quarters. I'm always very upset if a user scores 20+ against me. Here are the scores of the user games in my past 3 season (15 user games):

As you can see the most points I've allowed during this span is 24 and only twice in 15 games has anyone gotten into the 20s and to counter that I've had 2 games where I held them to 3 and 0 points.

I always pride myself on defense and I recruit well for it. I've never bought into the "speed is the only thing that matters" philosophy and I think that my results are a great testimonial to the opposite. I value most tackling for my LBs (I run a 3-4), block shedding and power and/or finesse moves for my DL, MCV/ZCV/PRS for my CBs, and TKL/HIT/ZCV for my safeties. My LBs usually have low 80s or even high 70s SPD, but they can all tackle. My DBs are sometimes very fast, but sometimes are only in the low 90s for SPD, but they can all cover.

I've also never bought into the "2 man under is the only good defense because zone sucks in this game" philosophy either. I probably play zone about 75% of the time and this works very well for me. The number of times I've held a user QB to under 50% completions is pretty high. My guys just cover the whole field so I frequently end up with a ton of deflections. When I blitz I like to use zone blitzes but I do run some man blitzes too. Like others I'm more of a "bend but don't break" sorta guy, especially on their half of the field. Unlike others though, I'm not waiting for a turnover, but waiting for a punt as I know that the longer my guys stay on the field, the more likely they are to get a defensive stop.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #34
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Jello, what player do you typically comtrol of defense?

I haven't played in a legit, year around league since NCAA 11 but I won the last two titles in that league and allowed 9 PPG on average through that span. I found, in that game, a good user controlled MLB could seriously disrupt the other teams offense.

Unlike you, I was big into the power running/3 yards and a could of dust kinda deal. I try to eat up as much clock as possible

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #35
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
Jello, what player do you typically comtrol of defense?

I haven't played in a legit, year around league since NCAA 11 but I won the last two titles in that league and allowed 9 PPG on average through that span. I found, in that game, a good user controlled MLB could seriously disrupt the other teams offense.

Unlike you, I was big into the power running/3 yards and a could of dust kinda deal. I try to eat up as much clock as possible
I always play my #1 MLB but admittedly I'm certainly not great at it, but I don't make a lot of big mistakes either. I've played very aggressive user MLBs before and I LOVE to use some misdirection to get him out of position and then run the ball right where the MLB was supposed to be. With me on D I certainly won't make eye popping plays of great stick skills, but I usually won't be out of position.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 07-01-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #36
Just started!

OVR: 0
Talking Re: Defending "Elite" Offenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter
Field position is important, but in this game EA skews the game towards offensive shootouts. And to an "elite offensive opponent in this game, field position means nothing. Obviously no touchdown =turnover is not valid, but it points to a state of mind. Scoring points puts pressure on the defense. And pressure usually causes mistakes. Mistakes usually equals stops. Games against users online that don't cheese(oxymoron?) usually come down to a few stops.

It's ok to punt, actually I think you get a boost in momentum when you punt. Just make sure you get a stop and the ball back.

Many real life football principles do not apply to EA version of football.
You are correct, most real life football principles do not apply, but then again if you are a "average" player then in no way shape or form will you stop an "elite" players offense. Also winning the field position battle(whether a kickoff, or a punt) is crucial to a players defense. More momentum and you have more opportunities to create turnovers the longer length of the field the opponent has to drive.

And Ea hasn't skewed offensive shootouts that much, the last two madden challenge winners were defensive oriented.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredthabest
You are correct, most real life football principles do not apply, but then again if you are a "average" player then in no way shape or form will you stop an "elite" players offense. Also winning the field position battle(whether a kickoff, or a punt) is crucial to a players defense. More momentum and you have more opportunities to create turnovers the longer length of the field the opponent has to drive.

And Ea hasn't skewed offensive shootouts that much, the last two madden challenge winners were defensive oriented.
Perhaps we are saying the same thing.

Against an elite offense, you have to turn every drive into points because by definition an elite offense will score on every drive. Sometimes scoring before half and getting the ball to open the 3rd is the only "turnover" in game when two elite offenses play. The first person to punt sometimes losses, when two elite offense are playing.

I don't play madden but I think the NCAA series is geared more towards offense and scoring. 60+ combined points seems to be the norm online
Old 07-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
Rookie

IForm's Arena

OVR: 1

I'd love to play some of the guys here in an actual sim dynasty. I broke the Top 100 the past two years playing sim (and averaging around 50 points a game). Randoms online can not play defense at all.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #39
Just started!

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter
Perhaps we are saying the same thing.

Against an elite offense, you have to turn every drive into points because by definition an elite offense will score on every drive. Sometimes scoring before half and getting the ball to open the 3rd is the only "turnover" in game when two elite offenses play. The first person to punt sometimes losses, when two elite offense are playing.

I don't play madden but I think the NCAA series is geared more towards offense and scoring. 60+ combined points seems to be the norm online
Yeah we are most likely saying the same thing haha, but considering that college football in general scores alot of points I guess it's appropriate the video game does aswell.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #40
Rookie

dubvcrazy's Arena

OVR: 6

This is the Big 12 boy in me, but I am atrocious at defense while being an offensive genius. I typically just let them score and then go score quickly myself. Sometimes I get into 63-56 shootouts (or higher scores), sometimes the other offense gets worn out and can't keep up with mine. Really depends on if I'm playing a pro style or a spread team. If they're an up tempo spread team it usually turns into a whoever has the ball last shootout, but if they're a pro style type team they eventually can't keep up with me.

As far as defense goes, I try to force mistakes by blitzing a lot. Normally I force some turnovers on the other team and end up winning the game because I don't make much offensive mistakes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »