Home

Hot and cold AI

This is a discussion on Hot and cold AI within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-19-2003, 07:36 AM   #1
rns
Rookie

OVR: 2
Hot and cold AI

Hey guys,
I play on what I think are pretty challenging slider settings that I really like. But what's come to bother me is how sometimes the CPU plays well (sometimes too well) but pretty often they seem to totally underachieve. Anybody else notice this?

Like, I get some real good challenges, and I might lose some shockers too. But then I play against decent teams that totally tank it.

For example, my current season using a 'B' rated team...
-week 2 @Temple, W 36-17: Temple's pretty bad... like C+. So that's a decent result, maybe even more challenging than I expected. But then...
-week 3 @Ohio State, W 29-10: Buckeyes were ranked #1 and were also an 'A' rated team. I was looking forward to a bigtime matchup that I'd probably even lose, but they ended up playing like a I-AA team.
-week 4 vs Fresno, W 38-34: This was more like it. Fresno's a B+ team and took me to the final seconds of the game. BUT THEN....
-week 5 vs Louisville, W 47-0: Louiville's kind of like Fresno... they tend to get good in dynasties. They were only a B team like me and #25, but they should have given a better fight than that!

I don't know... sometimes I worry that my settings malfunctioned or something and somehow I'm playing on Varsity difficulty or something. But then I actually check my settings, and yeah they're still how I set them!

The catch is that I know I'll play some pretty average team somewhere down the season and they're gonna play really well on my sliders and give me fits. It's just disappointing when the expected big games end up being total flubs.

I ended up not even saving that Louisville debacle (as much as I hate them... good job, Redhawks!). I'll play 'em tomorrow and hope the CPU decides to play a better game!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2003, 04:16 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
Re: Hot and cold AI

What are your settings?
Old 12-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #3
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

I notice things like this too. Like in my Arkansas dynasty in like the 3rd or 4th year I was number 5 and scheduled all 4 teams ranked ahead of me and blew everyone of them out. Needless to say, I quit that dynasty.

Then again, I seem to be finding great matchups lately like when I lost by 14 to USC last night with Boise State. It was a lot closer than it sounds, they just broke off a 29 yard TD run and a 55 yard TD run in the last 2 minutes to seel the game. Another note on this game, there were 8 turnovers in the first half, 4 a peice, 3 Ints and 5 fumbles. The game ended with 10 total.

If you play exhibition(I do because I get tired of playing as the same team over and over... I like variety), try playing away a lot. It gives you an extra challenge because of the homefield advantage. After a while, you can tell what kind of teams that you are going have a good game with. Playing as a ranked team will almost always result in a win if you're on All-American or are good and play Heismann. Try teams like Boise State against a ranked team or try West Virginia or Bowling Green.

Tonight, I'm getting a little bit of a rematch as I'll play as WVU against USC at a neutral site... should be a good one.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:48 PM   #4
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:

Tonight, I'm getting a little bit of a rematch as I'll play as WVU against USC at a neutral site... should be a good one.

Another great game I played. I won 31-28 in overtime. It was 28-28 at the end of regulation, then I intercepted a third down pass in OT and ran 6 run plays to get position for a field goal. This all following a game-tieing touchdown drive by my Mountaineers, led by a backup QB, that left just 40 seconds. That's 4 games in a row that I would consider good games: 1)lost on tipped hail mary(see "Another superb game" thread), 2)lost by 3 while failing to put a last minute TD drive together, 3)lost by 14 thanks to 2 long TD runs in the last 2 minutes, 4)won in OT.

So you can have a lot of good games, you just need good matchups.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:00 AM   #5
rns
Rookie

I'm a dynasty junkie! But my problem doesn't seem to be so much that my team is too good. They were a 'B' team just slamming an 'A' team on the road. And it doesn't even seem to be too much about matchups, because if I play the game again they might give me a tough game the second time around. I played the Louisville game again and had a decent competitive game, winning 34-24. It's just that sometimes it seems like the CPU is playing just beyond horrible.

I think it's good the CPU sometimes deals out a better game than usual, and sometimes a worse game. But sometimes I get these arcade-like games that go too far, like the Ohio St game, the 47-0 Louisville game, or random games where they can't even get 150 yards against my defense when usually I give up well over 300. There should be down games, but it doesn't seem like they should get THAT down (unless maybe they're a real bad team).

Likewise, sometimes they have these super UP games and I can't seem to do anything to stop them from completing passes or to hold back their RB who ends up with 18 broken tackles and a 24 yard average. But mainly it bothers me when they have those really down games which seem to happen more often than the really up games.

Eh, not that for the most part the games aren't pretty good fun ones!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2003, 07:16 AM   #6
rns
Rookie

These are my slider settings:

Heisman, 7-minute quarters
(10 = default)

CPU offense
QB acc 12
Pass block 14
catching 11
running 19
run block 19

CPU defense
awareness 13
knockdowns 13
int 5
break block 8
tackle 9

HUMAN offense
QB acc 11
Pass block 12
catching 11
running 15
run block 16

HUMAN defense
awareness 8
knockdowns 12
int 8
break block 12
tackle 12

Right now I'm toying with the idea of turning up the CPU awareness and knockdowns a notch, and my interceptions down a notch. But like I said, these are already pretty challenging to me (and sometimes more than I can handle) and I have a good time using them.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:47 AM   #7
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

I encountered this quite a bit in 2003, where cupcake teams were too tough, and even worse was the big rivals that rolled over. I am not saying that these things should never happen, they were just too frequent. I haven't seen this as much in 2004, but I have only played a couple of seasons as ESPN NFL has gotten its share of my football gaming time.

I suppose the hot/cold issue is a tough one from the developer's position. Too much variation, and folks like us say that games are too random. Too little variation and we say "hey, teams like Cal can put it all togehter on a given saturday and Shock a USC or a Kansas St. can put a walloping on the most dominant team in the country".
Old 12-24-2003, 08:17 AM   #8
rns
Rookie

That's right.. how in the heck did I forget that K State just whooped on Oklahoma in the most unbelievable manner!
"Twitching carcass." hahaha

Oh well, still I prefer more challenges than lame duck games. There must be some way for them to program that less talented teams be less likely to suddenly raise their game exponentially, and more talented teams less likely to totally suck wind during a given game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »