Home

IGN Review is up

This is a discussion on IGN Review is up within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #73
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: IGN Review is up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkellis
I personally think the people that complain about gameplay/"feeling" are folks that play hours upon hours... dissecting everything and setting their expectations too high. NCAA '14 is legit for anyone that works/goes to school and does other activities, and then can sneak a few games in a week. Trying playing less often and keep the game fresh... any game can get boring after you spends hours playing it with no break.
You couldn't be any more wrong in regards to my opinion.

I've been playing EA football games since Madden 94. I probably played the most when I was in high school and college. When you're in college you can find free time....

Anyway, now that I am older and have real responsibilities, I have less time to game. I'm lucky if I have time to play for 2 hours a week. When you work 9-5 Monday through Friday and then have to do honey dues on the weekends, it's hard to fit in time.

It's not so much an issue of paying $60, it's more of an issue of finding games that aren't going to waste my time and be boring.

To me, the game peaked like three years ago and really isn't that much different. Gamespot and IGN agree and their scores reflect it.

With that said, if you like, you like it. I'm not telling people not to like the game. I'm just supporting the IGN review and trying to give constructive criticism. It's just a video game after all. I don't expect it to be perfect but at this point, I would expect it to have things that football games had 10 years ago. I'm really just disappointed in this entire generation of football games.

I bought a PS3 solely to play MLB the Show. I wish a football game could match that.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

Last edited by BigDofBA; 07-07-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #74
Rookie

mattkellis's Arena

OVR: 0

I have played football games since '96 and played all through undergrad and grad too... Tons of free time myself. In retrospect, I think there is optimal time to play each week (difficult to quantify and different for each person). Finding the right balance takes care of issues of boredom/redundancy and keeps things fresh. I think there is a correlation between the more you master a game (finding glitches, discovering issues, etc), the less likely it is to entertain you going forward.

Also, comparing football vs. baseball isn't measuring apples to apples. The battery sequence (pitcher, catcher, hitter) is an easier AI platform to control/deliver than 22 guys on a football field during any given play. Also, are you going to tell me that pitching first game of the season against the Yankees in NYC is any different than pitching a game against the Astros in game #125 on MLB the Show ? Probably not, they feel the same and NO video games can really replicate that type of experience/atmosphere... MLB might be marginally better (barely) at it, if anything ...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
I got bored playing the demo after a few days because this game is way too generic, I get tired to seeing the same old tackles, catches and situations every game, after playing this game for a week you will never get a wow Ive seen that before moment. And was when the last time they came up with new gameplay and control ideas, the game plays the exact same as it did on PS2, no innovation. I suppose it's hard to innovate when you spend 8 years playing catch just trying to get the basics down.

Exactly my opinion. Its a common theme I see in most EA sports titles, except Fight Night Champion. Teams play the same and all players have similar skill sets.

Last edited by TjJunior; 07-07-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #76
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

I have to say honestly, I've bought every NCAA game that ever came to any console. And as I look back, it's certainly not because the games were awesome. I just love NCAA and it's our only option now.

I do agree with the guy, that this game probably peaked 3-4 years ago. The improvements are there, but certainly not 60 dollar improvements. I do feel like I get cheated after about a few weeks after playing. I don't see enough to warrant that 60 bucks I spent. The presentation continues to be horrid, generic college fight songs from a 5 piece band that they used in NCAA 2002, and really, the same commentary they've used since 08?? Come on.. They really need to step it up for the next generation.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #77
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkellis
I have played football games since '96 and played all through undergrad and grad too... Tons of free time myself. In retrospect, I think there is optimal time to play each week (difficult to quantify and different for each person). Finding the right balance takes care of issues of boredom/redundancy and keeps things fresh. I think there is a correlation between the more you master a game (finding glitches, discovering issues, etc), the less likely it is to entertain you going forward.

Also, comparing football vs. baseball isn't measuring apples to apples. The battery sequence (pitcher, catcher, hitter) is an easier AI platform to control/deliver than 22 guys on a football field during any given play. Also, are you going to tell me that pitching first game of the season against the Yankees in NYC is any different than pitching a game against the Astros in game #125 on MLB the Show ? Probably not, they feel the same and NO video games can really replicate that type of experience/atmosphere... MLB might be marginally better (barely) at it, if anything ...
have to disagree with this.
I find that the more Ive mastered the SHOW and NBA 2k series. the more Ive enjoyed it.
These games provides so many options, that its hard to get bored.

In regards to NCAA football. Playing the demo-I thought it was ehhh. Until someone pointed out to me that I should take a look at all the features under the tutorial, and do the drills. Once I did this. The depth in the things that you can do, just opened up the game for me.
I may just go out buy NCAA on Tuesday. The only thing that kills this game for me is the commentary and Atmosphere. I think that is major issue as to why people may dislike this game. IMO, that's what makes the game flat.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #78
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
have to disagree with this.
I find that the more Ive mastered the SHOW and NBA 2k series. the more Ive enjoyed it.
These games provides so many options, that its hard to get bored.

In regards to NCAA football. Playing the demo-I thought it was ehhh. Until someone pointed out to me that I should take a look at all the features under the tutorial, and do the drills. Once I did this. The depth in the things that you can do, just opened up the game for me.
I may just go out buy NCAA on Tuesday. The only thing that kills this game for me is the commentary and Atmosphere. I think that is major issue as to why people may dislike this game. IMO, that's what makes the game flat.
Custom stadiums sounds help immensely

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »