Home

Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #457
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Recruiting Tips (NCAA 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteXavier
I think there has been too much emphasis placed on early vs late visits.

I believe in picking the RIGHT week to have my recruits visit, the difference between week 1 and week 4 will pale in comparison to complementary visits, beating a rival, beating a conference team, and hitting the offensive or defensive goals.

If you can get an early rivalry or conference game, take it. Getting 1100 points makes such a big difference. After 1 early visit, we signed 7 recruits immediately by hitting the goals above correctly.

In particular, guys you are in battles for or behind the visit will help you make up the ground or stretch your lead.

And in the event that you sign a guy early those points can help you with someone else, or you can find another players (albeit a 3 star) that you can add and start working on (i will remove or sign a guy, and then go look at the guys that have me #1 or #2 and add them to my board)

Also, in previous years it didn't make sense to go after more than 15 or 20 guys at a time because of dynasty savers but this year you should always have a full board since you get bonus points for free.
Absolutely. I'd never invite someone to a non-conference game and so far 75%+ of my visits have been for rivals. If you're in an OD, a rival/user game is the best.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #458
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I know I said before I was done, but this time I really mean it.

I've said (I think multiple times) that I have signed good (4*/5*) recruits where I was battling with aOSU and we were about even when I scheduled an early visit and he signed immediately after the visit. I'm not sure how else I can say this.

If you smartly schedule your visits, then you can sign a ton of guys right after your visit, especially with RT3. I've never had a recruit not get locked following a visit if he was already at 70%+. I've locked and signed recruits that were only 65% locked prior to the visit. If you time your visits so that they're 65-70% locked then you'll lock them with the visit. With RT3, you'll almost certainly push every other team (including the aOSU's of the world that were even with you prior to the visit) below the lock point, thus signing them.

I've done this more than a few times.
I can confirm this as well.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #459
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Absolutely. I'd never invite someone to a non-conference game and so far 75%+ of my visits have been for rivals. If you're in an OD, a rival/user game is the best.
Challenge with a User game for some of the folks that need help and are reading this thread is that you can lose, and losing isn't good on visits :-)

a Rival, Conference, CPU computer is the best choice in my opinion since I haven't lost to the CPU in years.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #460
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

Just a few observations from limited recruiting and reading this thread - Tell me if I am wrong or correct with this.

Only had 10-15 recruits to work on at a time
Don't offer Max amount to all top recruits
Try to spread points evenly unless you are behind quite a bit and want to catch up
Offer scholarships ASAP
Scout everyone you are recruiting
Schedule visits early on to get a larger lead or catch up early.
Schedule visits late if behind and want to make up ground.
Schedule visits vs top 25 teams or rivals

I haven't messed with it much and this are just quick looks from reading the thread. I am sure there are things missing, but I am just trying to get a part of the game plan here.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #461
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
Just a few observations from limited recruiting and reading this thread - Tell me if I am wrong or correct with this.

Only had 10-15 recruits to work on at a time
Don't offer Max amount to all top recruits
Try to spread points evenly unless you are behind quite a bit and want to catch up
Offer scholarships ASAP
Scout everyone you are recruiting
Schedule visits early on to get a larger lead or catch up early.
Schedule visits late if behind and want to make up ground.
Schedule visits vs top 25 teams or rivals

I haven't messed with it much and this are just quick looks from reading the thread. I am sure there are things missing, but I am just trying to get a part of the game plan here.
Very beneficial to have a few recruits on your board that you kind of want and aren't actively being recruited by other teams. Even without giving them points you can jump out to a lead based on only the bonus points. Great fall back guys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #462
Rookie

OVR: 0
Could use a little advice:

I'm in the 2nd season of an online dynasty (still in preseason). I have 23 graduating seniors so I have a lot of needs. Signing that many players is a real challenge. I'm #1 on the boards of about a dozen 4-star and up recruits, but I'm concerned that if I go after all of them, I'll end up in too many recruiting battles and won't sign enough players. I also have a couple position needs where I'm not leading so I'm expecting battles there.

I'm Washington and my coach is leveled up and has insta-commit (don't hate me- my dynasty mates and I decided to boost coach points in season 1). Despite that I'm thinking I need to pick and choose from the players I'm leading on and then search in later weeks for players not being recruited. I've filled my board up with 35 in hopes that some of those will be in recruited.

Any strategies are appreciated, with the new recruiting system I don't know if its possible to sign 23 quality guys.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #463
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Just won a 79 ovr juco SS in the offseason without putting a single point towards him. Was initially 1200 pts behind so I just gave up on him but I guess the Letter of Intent skill sealed the deal.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #464
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Posted this to answer a guys question on the 'hows your dynasty going' thread, figured I would share it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
Well its a lot different for me.. I have A+ on most pitches and I am a 6 star prestige team. Also I have all recruiting skills maxed. But the way I do it..

I look in all recruits and sort by those interested.. I add usually the best 35 that are interested. First I offer scholarship to all those who have me first because I get a lot of insta commits. I then decide on usually around 10-15 players I really want to get.. and give them points. If I am losing to other teams I will give max points (700), if I am winning I will usually give less then max points (500 or so). Then next week, I check all the recruits I gave points to. If I am maintaining a lead on a recruit or the lead is growing, I may lower his points a bit and give some to other recruits I am losing. It can be hard to find a balance sometimes and usually its like a game of guess and check but once you become experienced it gets easier to judge how many points will be necessary.

I schedule visits usually around week 8 when I have my rivalry game, you don't want to wait too long for your visit or you may lose out on the recruit. Usually I have the lead or am in close 2nd place with the 10-15 recruits by the time week 8 comes, and my visit usually gets a bunch of them to commit. Then I move the points from those recruits who committed to others on my board and try and get them. Also I should mention that sometimes if you search for recruits with less then 25% lock percentage you can find some 4 or 5 star guys with really good rating that no one is recruiting. You can usually get them.

As for off season recruiting.. the most the CPU will give to any one player is 3250 points, so remember that. If you are winning by 500 points, offer 3000 and you are probably going to get them. Down by 1000 points? Offer 4500. There is the rare chance of the CPU going 'all in' on just 1 recruit with all their points, but only 2-3 teams do that every year. Its tough to tell which players the CPU will invest points in though, sometimes they wont give any points to recruits. My advice is to use my strategy which will get most of your key recruits to commit in season, to avoid the offseason crap shoot. If you have a ton of guys left on your board that you really want going into offseason recruiting, its gonna be nearly impossible to get them all, especially if you don't have the 15,000 points you get for maxing the offseason recruiting skill.

Last edited by BleedGreen710; 08-07-2013 at 12:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »