Home

Flexbone/Triple Option Terminology and Ratings

This is a discussion on Flexbone/Triple Option Terminology and Ratings within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15
Flexbone/Triple Option Terminology and Ratings

This has bugged me for awhile but it's something that needs to be addressed, if not this gen than the next one.

In the triple option there is no Fullback or Running Back/Half-back, there is the B-Back (lines up behind the QB), and the A-Back(s) (line(s) up on the wings), Wing-Back is also a term used.

It gets old after awhile when Kirk Herbstreit (who I know knows the terminology, as he thoroughly enjoys calling Tech's games, you can hear it in his voice and with what he is saying while calling them), keeps calling the B-Back the full back in the game. He's surprised that they gave it to the fullback, he states that you don't normally give the ball to the fullback in the option, he is dumbfounded when you go to the Fullback more than a play in a row.

I hear fullback used from some of the less informed commentators, these guys will normally establish the position as the B-Back in the pre-game (the stuff that is scripted for them), then call them the Fullback the rest of the time. And while this happens a lot its never Kirk Herbstreit saying it.

Basically at any given time there are 3 running backs on the field, 2 speed guys and one power guy. When you get into the back-ups you will occasionally see guys who are built more like fullbacks (Navy likes to use prototypical fullbacks at B-Back, but these are primarily runners/distractions, rarely blockers (except at the 2nd level), and they recruit this way mainly because of their limitations). So when I run a Triple Option offense my fullback shouldn't be judged according to his ability to block, or to fufill normal fullback duties, he should be judged based on his power (and other such related elusive-type ratings), his carrying ability, and his second level speed (speed is a factor but what really matters is that burst when he has daylight - so acceleration and agility are key).

It affects my ability to recruit on some levels as I'm recruiting HBs in 2 categories, but both players judge how my scheme fits their style of play by looking at the HBs. Even though the power backs I am recruiting are going to play at "FB" and my speed backs are going to play at "HB". So power backs see that I put HBs on the wings which need to be fast and think well that offense isn't right for me, when in reality it is an amazing offense for them to be in. In fact my offense looks very enticing for Speed backs even though they will not see a consistent number of carries (because I take what the D gives me, I can't inflate their numbers unless I play at a lower level).

This issue raises its head again in Ultimate Team, where I was lucky enough to pull an Archie Griffin (actually I've pulled 2 so far but sold the other one). He's got good speed and great power, and his Heisman Winner is even better (97 overall, built like a brick, great acceleration), he's the perfect B-Back on paper. But when you line him up there is awareness gets cut in half, and his break tackle rating drops from a 94 to a 62...

The Full-Back and B-Back are not interchangeable, but the game treats them like they are. I can deal with the commentary (would prefer not to have to mute it, or ignore it), but the cutting of ratings and the effect on recruiting and the damage it can do to your overall team rating in Ultimate Team needs to be addressed.

I did a search and nothing came up regarding the terminology and the effect it has on ratings. Moderators feel free to move it elsewhere if you feel it should or if you want me to re-word it. This is definitely something that needs to be retooled for future versions of this game, and hopefully that is exactly what they will do as they start on the next-gen version.
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Flexbone/Triple Option Terminology and Ratings

That sucks that they lower the player stats like that when you play them out of position (I think that comes from the days when people would but 99 speed guys at QB and just run to daylight).

Power Running backs are Fullbacks in the triple option.

But with that being said, their is no universal terminology in football. For example, a strong side defensive end could be called a 7 tech, a 9 tech, or Stud. All are used, they come form different philosophies and different terminology. All say the end is lined up in the outside shoulder of the TE.

Although I will agree with you that is the terminology Paul Johnson uses for his system, it is not transferable to all systems. Air force for example, calls their Fullback a Fullback.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
MVP

Iceman87GT's Arena

OVR: 15

Was not aware of that with Air Force, but the point still remains. Kirk Herbstreit and Brad Nessler should not be amazed that I gave the ball to the B-Back when I'm running out of the Triple option.

I think heading into next gen they will be able to do a lot more things with commentary, certainly they will have a chance to start anew and thus be more ambitious with that aspect. I could put up with them calling it a Fullback (though it always throws me because as I said Kirk Herbstreit is one of the more knowledgeable commentators in CFB and he knows the correct terminology), if they weren't so surprised when I give the ball to him, even though it happens anywhere from 50-80% of the game (depending on what the defense gives me).

I get what you are saying with the different names on defense too, but when you are watching a game those don't get used a whole lot, that's more coaching terminology. I know that sounds kind of counter to what I've been saying but if you listen to commentary they tend to call them D-Lineman and they may get specific sometimes by calling them DEs or DTs (or NTs), but rarely do they address them by the playbook terminology.

For teams with great defenses who have those special names, they will go over that stuff in the beginning of the game (kinda like my example of the less knowledgeable commentators reading the script at the beginning where they actually call them B-Backs, before they call them fullbacks the rest of the game). It would be great if they replicated this in the commentary; where they may go to the default usage of DE or DT the rest of the game but every once and awhile when they make a significant play, or at the top of the broadcast they use the special terminology.
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
RIP Atlanta Thrashers
Old 07-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDiiddy
That sucks that they lower the player stats like that when you play them out of position (I think that comes from the days when people would but 99 speed guys at QB and just run to daylight).

Power Running backs are Fullbacks in the triple option.

But with that being said, their is no universal terminology in football. For example, a strong side defensive end could be called a 7 tech, a 9 tech, or Stud. All are used, they come form different philosophies and different terminology. All say the end is lined up in the outside shoulder of the TE.

Although I will agree with you that is the terminology Paul Johnson uses for his system, it is not transferable to all systems. Air force for example, calls their Fullback a Fullback.
i thought it only effected awarness when you move them and that means nothing if your controlling the player.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
i thought it only effected awarness when you move them and that means nothing if your controlling the player.
It lowers other ratings too, like BTK (Break tackle)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

I always just put the commentators sound to 0. Can't stand hearing the same junk year after year. I turn stadium sounds up to 80, PA system up 85 and field sounds to 100.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
It lowers other ratings too, like BTK (Break tackle)
damn i though they fixed that mess in 12 (one year deal i guess)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Rookie

MacDiiddy's Arena

OVR: 3

I saw Dwyer on the auction block listed as a HB...I wonder if the same thing would happen to him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »