Home

Too Easy to Get Top Recruits w/ Small Teams

This is a discussion on Too Easy to Get Top Recruits w/ Small Teams within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Too Easy to Get Top Recruits w/ Small Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyAllDay
As I know from my dynasty i did awhile back,their coach is Mark Hudspeth. Now, I know we're all biased against these lower level schools, but this guy is a legend in college football in my opinion. His all time record is 84-29, which anyone could admit is pretty good.
Mostly in a division II school... not even FCS, but D2.

He's turned ULL around in 2 years, but what these wins say is Game Management, not recruit management. Certainly not ahead of bigger name programs.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #18
Rookie

NoFlyyZone's Arena

OVR: 0

I snagged a 5* ATH who came in as 77 during my first season as the South Alabama coach and thought it would be easy but as my second season is underway I find that it wasn't that easy. The big schools have came rolling in like everyone as mentioned.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 6

Topic starter disappeared when asked what week is he in...Hahaha
Old 07-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by UWfan206
Topic starter disappeared when asked what week is he in...Hahaha
Week 9, still leading by decent margins.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 3

I came up with a fairly (in my mind) realistic/challenging set of house rules when it comes to recruiting that I started using last year.

The basic rules are:
  • Can only recruit players that are interested in u at the beginning of the season. If using a small school (1 star or 2 star) u may add players that are not initially interested in u, but they may only be 1 star caliber higher than your team's prestige rating or lower.
  • No oversigning
This is basically all that I follow and it really forces u to scout more thoroughly before offering scholarships. It also takes longer to build up 1 and 2 star teams.

What does everyone think of these set of rules? Hope they're helpful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Pro

C_Bailey24's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlake_88
Week 9, still leading by decent margins.
Week 9 means nothing. Recruiting is not easy. As everyone said there will be some more prestigious programs that will eventually swoop in and steal from you. Do these recruits have a high or low lock percentage? If it is still fairly low what that basically means is that the recruit is gona string you along and keep his recruitment open until the offseason probably and as i mentioned before you WILL lose them to a school with better prestige and higher weekly bonus.

Also i see people mentioning the unrecruited 4 star players. From my experience there is a reason they are unrecruited. Their overall and skill position ratings usually go down when u scout so in essence they're a three star masking themselves as a 4 star or better. The CPU knows this to a degree and will recruit what they percieve as better players first then come after the leftovers later on.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Rookie

Strategizer's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Bailey24
Week 9 means nothing. Recruiting is not easy. As everyone said there will be some more prestigious programs that will eventually swoop in and steal from you. Do these recruits have a high or low lock percentage? If it is still fairly low what that basically means is that the recruit is gona string you along and keep his recruitment open until the offseason probably and as i mentioned before you WILL lose them to a school with better prestige and higher weekly bonus.

Also i see people mentioning the unrecruited 4 star players. From my experience there is a reason they are unrecruited. Their overall and skill position ratings usually go down when u scout so in essence they're a three star masking themselves as a 4 star or better. The CPU knows this to a degree and will recruit what they percieve as better players first then come after the leftovers later on.
My experience has been different. There are plenty of good, well-into-the 70's 4*'s who you can get before other schools start to take an interest. You won't get all of them, and some positions are easier to recruit than others, but you can get more than you should as a lowly mid-major.

I'm thinking about doing a test as UMass where I won't even add anyone to my board until week 4. I will add players only in the top 500 with low lock percentages, across all the positions, and see how successful I can be. Based on what I've seen so far, you might be surprised by how many of them I can get.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #24
Pro

moneal2001's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategizer
My experience has been different. There are plenty of good, well-into-the 70's 4*'s who you can get before other schools start to take an interest. You won't get all of them, and some positions are easier to recruit than others, but you can get more than you should as a lowly mid-major.

I'm thinking about doing a test as UMass where I won't even add anyone to my board until week 4. I will add players only in the top 500 with low lock percentages, across all the positions, and see how successful I can be. Based on what I've seen so far, you might be surprised by how many of them I can get.
I have seen the same thing with my created coach using Texas State. I think the biggest issue is The bigger schools do not have certain advantages that they have in real life. The biggest advantage in real life is having larger budgets giving them the ability to recruit more players than smaller schools. In the game basically all schools have 5000-6500 points to spend each week, which causes the Big schools to fight each other over the coveted recruits and unable to put any points into the second tier guys until the top tier guys are gone. This leaves the second tier guys open to the smaller schools, the CPU smaller schools do not take advantage of this like a user can.

The bonus points for bigger schools are usually higher but 100 points or so more a week doesn't make up enough points when a small school is over 1500 points ahead with 3-4 weeks to go.

Bigger schools need to have larger budgets, in many cases almost 2 times the amount of points compared to smaller schools. This would make the 4 star guys harder to get for smaller schools. it would allow bigger schools to not only battle for the top tier guys, but still able to go after the 2nd tier as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »