Home

Is it time to do away with sliders?

This is a discussion on Is it time to do away with sliders? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Is it time to do away with sliders
Yes - do away with sliders 15 18.99%
No - keep sliders in NCAA and Madden 64 81.01%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Is it time to do away with sliders?

Heisman is too easy. The only difficulty I had with a default setting was madden 12 all madden. Stopping the run was impossible.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

They need to keep the sliders as there is no way to get it right for everyone and sliders should give us a way to fix it.

But.....with that said - they need to change how sliders affect the game to make it more straightforward and more clear exactly what they do and not change 3 other things which you would have never guessed if not for hours of extensive testing.

Timeetyo's NCAA 14 Relegation & Violations System: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...on-system.html
Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #11
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
Do the guys who want to keep sliders realize that they weren't always in NCAA?

Has yet to provide a detailed explanation of what each slider affects. And, the general consensus since at least NCAA 09 has been that some, if not all, sliders do not work as intended or do not work at all.

Thus, what purpose do they serve?

Arcade, casual, simulation or another model. Anything but sliders.
Where is this consensus that all sliders do not work at all? I don't see how this is a serious question without links to people working out how ineffective/worthless they truly are when there's an entire subforum of thread after thread of people working through their slider sets. Compare your suggestion to the ratings discussions and breakdowns that have happened in other areas of the forum for example.

As someone who's used them on multiple titles it's not like they're placebo or something.

Should some things related to them be done better? Absolutely. If there are really just thresholds in some sliders and they could be boiled down to 4 options for the sake of clarity then that absolutely sounds great. We could use a lot more information both in-game and externally about their effects rather than the slider voodoo people invoke to tweak their game to their liking.

But get rid of them? That seems like bait for outrage rather than discussion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Honestly, this poll question is ridiculous. The only people that would vote to get rid of them are the people that never use them. Sliders weren't around 20 years ago but I'm not going back and just playing Tecmo Bowl anymore. Customization and options are at a premium. If some guys don't want to use them fine. But to suggest they take them away from the other people who love them is absurd and 100% selfish.

I'm sure a lot of people would love it if they had added a read-option run blocking slider so they could finetune that part of the game better. I want more sliders, not less. If I was forced to play on EA's default levels alone and no sliders I'd probably stop buying their games because I don't like how they are tuned at default.

I think I should create a poll asking to get rid of all first person shooters since the camera angle disorients me. All games should be third person shooters! Why should I care about anyone else?

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 07-13-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Rookie

Buckeyed's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Honestly, this poll question is ridiculous. The only people that would vote to get rid of them are the people that never use them. Sliders weren't around 20 years ago but I'm not going back and just playing Tecmo Bowl anymore. Customization and options are at a premium. If some guys don't want to use them fine. But to suggest they take them away from the other people who love them is absurd and 100% selfish.

I'm sure a lot of people would love it if they had added a read-option run blocking slider so they could finetune that part of the game better. I want more sliders, not less. If I was forced to play on EA's default levels alone and no sliders I'd probably stop buying their games because I don't like how they are tuned at default.

I think I should create a poll asking to get rid of all first person shooters since the camera angle disorients me. All games should be third person shooters! Why should I care about anyone else?
This sums it up.^^^^

Quote:
View Poll Results: Is it time to do away with sliders
Yes - do away with sliders 8 22.22%
No - keep sliders in NCAA and Madden 28 77.78%
Voters: 36.
Not looking like the OP is in the majority.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Rookie

Mick-S's Arena

OVR: 0

it`s not surprising that no one has a clue including EA where sliders are concerned.
have often wondered why there is the need for sliders at all, why can`t the individual player ratings determine how the players perform on the field, and use the difficulty levels to change that, so Heisman would boost the ratings say by ten, could work quite well now we have the ability to have offense and defense different. penalties, if we assume that lets say an average ncaa game has 6 holding calls, so 50 default would be 6 and 60 would be 7 etc, these could be random and effect user and cpu,why the hell they need to be linked to game sliders is just stupid.
just can`t see why EA make it all so complicated. all we want is to play football, not spend hrs/days/weeks messing around with sliders, anyway had my rant,lol.
just to add, not saying they should get shot of them completely, but if they stay which I have no doubt they will, at least make them work properly.

Last edited by Mick-S; 07-13-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Rookie

priam11's Arena

OVR: 1

I want the customability (making that word up right now) in my games not less.

But I also want them to work and work correctly.

I am now hearing the CPU pass defense is backwards in this years edition and I cannot confirm as I have not bought it yet. But this was an issue last year as well on some of these sliders.

Also there seems to be a level where one single increment changes the game. Roughing the passer. At 55 I might get one called every few games. At 56 it was every quarter.

Some don't have any effect at all. Offsides can be set at 10 or 100 and there was no difference that I could see. And don't get me started on pass interference.

Overall I want more sliders *cough* fumble slider *cough*. And I just want them to bloody work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

OVR: 5

I personally think there should be MORE sliders. I remember in the 2k football games you could customize everything.

But the game should play better on default too. I shouldn't have to use the sliders everytime to get the game right. Sliders should be there to enhance my experience, not make it playable....

And this year is actually pretty good. Yet the penalty sliders are VERY broken (Have you seen a offsides penalty other than accidentally going across the line? I know I haven't. Can't call the CPU offsides at home with the slider up to 100%)

Holding is broken too. That is my only complaint about this game right now, they fixed some penalties that did not work ( I actually saw some Pass Interference. Still not enough though,) and broke ones that worked pretty well. EA can never put out a perfect game. That is why I am glad the exclusive deal is over soon....

In fact, I wonder if they are backwards.... Maybe I need to test Offsides and Holding below 50....

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »