Home

"Broken", Defense, And Heisman Difficulty

This is a discussion on "Broken", Defense, And Heisman Difficulty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
"Broken", Defense, And Heisman Difficulty

I'm not sure I can take it anymore. I'm seeing the word broken tossed around to describe this game entirely too much, especially when it comes to talk about the defense. This is going to be a long topic, so if you don't want to read much, back out now.

The first thing I'm going to talk about is option defense.

People are saying option defense is broken, the option is impossible to defend and other things like that. GOOD! Come up against a team that runs the option flawlessly, like Orego, Georgia Tech? Air Force, etc. and you should get run all over and scored on. Good option teams averaged almost 330 yards on the ground last year, and team like Oregon scored more than 35 a game last year, some games scoring well into the 40s and 50s.

The problem is, most people think they are superior players to the computer and think they should stop every option play, or hold them to 3 YPC because they picked the appropriate defense and knew it was coming. Okay, don't you think teams know they're going to be running the option in real college football? They know its coming, pick the appropriate defense and still can't stop it. There's a reason so many teams make the option the staple of their Offense, because when run correctly it can be unbeatable..

I've come across many inferior teams in this game that try to run the option, son have the appropriate players, and I just shut them down. It's all about matchups, if you're outmatched, deal with it and take the loss. Or, if you know the team has a strong option game but a horrible pass attack, stack the box and try and make them go to the air. I can only imagine how many of you are selecting zones and cover 3s against option running attacks because you don't know the appropriate defense.

Speaking of defensive coverage, it's NOT broken. If a team has faster position players than you, you're going to get burnt. If your DBs have low cover skills, low play recognition, or low awareness, you're going to get burnt. A lot of you are playing at lower rated schools for your dynasty and are expecting to have a team of Derelle Revis's in your secondary. Not how it works. View your matchups, does the CPU WRs have you beat in speed, height, release and route running? Switch up your matchups to get better results, get pressure on the QB if they're a pass happy team. If you're secondary has strong zone ratings, play zone. Same goes for man coverage.

A lot of you are just putting guys out there and running any defense you want because that's how it worked in years past. EA actually gave us a solid football game this year where matchups and ratings matter. Use that to your advantage.

Last, I wanna talk about the Heisman difficulty level. When you play on Heisman, you're going to see the CPU use cheap tactics to try and win. It's been like that since the beginning of time, so, when some of you complain about things being too difficult, or too cheap, or everyone's favorite word, broken. You don't have to play on that difficulty level! No one is going to come at your pride for playing on AA and trying to achieve realistic results.

I don't get it honestly. We get a good college football game from EA and it's broken. The same guys who are saying its broken loved NCAA 13, a game that was broken. All the guys who saw 13 for what it was last year, can finally appreciate a good game.

Please EA, don't patch things that don't need to be patched. Patch the necessary things, not just things people complain about because they're not as good at the game as they first believed

Last edited by Gosens6; 07-14-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: "Broken", Defense, And Heisman Difficulty

Thank you so much, all this needed to be said. I was gonna post something myself. You are right on the money with everything. People are gonna argue with you about it, but I have your back 100% brother. Perfect post!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Rookie

guru8's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree. Play and ball up. I love it.
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

'Life is not a sprint, it's a marathon.. you start off fast, and now ya wheezin' in the back" - Jay-Z (2005)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Yesterday I was massively frustrated when FCS East tore up my Buckeyes for 21 points on Heisman and the QB went something stupid like 21-24. Today is much better for one of the reasons you mentioned. I 'dumbed down' to AA. I'm lining my match ups up correctly and having more fun with the game analyzing my players vs. the opposing team. I'm suddenly enjoying this game more than I ever have in the past. Bravo for your post.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Rookie

jejones's Arena

OVR: 0

This is good! I've only played 4 games as Illinois with Heisman offense and AA defense. Haven't touched the sliders, but did mess around with the penalties and I'm getting very realistic scores. I may need to bump up the AI's offense though because I'm constantly shutting them down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 1
Agree with your post. My only issue is that EA will not fix the DB glitch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Banned

ghettogeeksta's Arena

OVR: 12

All I can say is if you don't think the defense is broken then meet my online now on Xbox360 Larry da Legend, let's see how good your defense is then.
I created a room named OPS, i'm sitting here waiting on any of you to challenge me, it takes real skill to play online, anybody can out smart the cpu in this game.
password: 1114

Last edited by ghettogeeksta; 07-14-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
Rookie

Totalpackage83's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettogeeksta
All I can say is if you don't think the defense is broken then meet my online now on Xbox360 Larry da Legend, let's see how good your defense is then.
I created a room named OPS, i'm sitting here waiting on any of you to challenge me, it takes real skill to play online, anybody can out smart the cpu in this game.
password: 1114
I agree. Most of the people starting post like this spend most of their time beating up on the cpu. Get in a competitive online dynasty or a head-to-head game and you will see how exploitable it is.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »