Home

4-2-5 Defense

This is a discussion on 4-2-5 Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17
4-2-5 Defense

Anyone have some tips or tricks they'd like to share? It's a pretty unique defense created solely to slow down the spread. I used it last year with a tremendous amount of success, but I'm struggling thus far this year.

Before anyone responds, I just want to emphasize two things:

1. I play sim ball. I don't nano or try to take advantage of bad AI.
2. Don't just tell me defense is broken this year. Keep it constructive.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: 4-2-5 Defense

Yes, I have quite a lot of success with it if you're playing a spread option team. It doesn't work so well with traditional power teams like the Big Ten. I mean, you can still do decent, but it always seems like the safeties bite a lot more on play action and the TE will kill you.
So with the 4-2-5 you have 5 playbooks.
• Normal
• Okie Across
• Over
• Under
• Under slide
Basically I never run with Okie Across as the alignments are weird and when the CPU audibles it can caused headaches with the AI alignment on your defense.
The staple of this defense is cover 1 in the Over and Under playbooks. Treat it as though it's the 4-3 under and over and make sure your safety is always playing to the strong side of the field. Cover 1 will be your base.
I use the normal package in the redzone. Basically anything 20 yards or lower to the endzone and I pull that out and run thet Bullets DBL A all day.

The hardest part of 4-2-5 or any defense this year is that you almost have to manually control your secondary. In the 4-2-5 you'll use the free safety so you can get in on the majority of pass plays. Your SS's can cover short routes decent and your corners can cover deep but those corners need over the top help.

When you control your FS, watch for how many steps the CPU QB takes and that will determine how deep you need to cover. 3's run up to support the slant, 5's most likely a deep corner route to the sideline, 7's it's usually a all vertical play so watch your corners.

Strafe is your friend. You wont' be in on a lot of running tackles. But if you wiff on a pass it usually means touchdown.

Use the under slide as your deep cover defense. It adjusts your SS deep and will help you in long yardage downs.

If you feel that a screen pass is coming, Max Zone is a great play to nullify a screen.

I don't know what else to add. I'm having a pretty decent amount of success with the 4-2-5 so far. I know that I'm going to give up short yardage and I've accepted that. I just don't want to be beat deep... so I guess this is bend but don't break?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

I want to try 425 just to diversify my defense. Ill prob learn to use it for teams who don't have 3 or 4 decent linebackers. I would need to find a decent blitz or two for 3 and longs. They are essential for online play.

Ill play around with it a bit, hopefully Ill be back with tips
Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Rookie

ncaajunkie's Arena

OVR: 2

I'm new to the 4-2-5. what are some zone blitzes you like or man blitzes or some good audibles to have? Thanks prd689 for sharing some tips.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
MVP

mjavon's Arena

OVR: 0

I actually prefer the 3-3-5 to the 4-2-5 personally, but that's because I have three great linebackers too. If you pinch the three down lineman to plug up the middle you can stop the inside run no problem (provided they don't come out in the I or goalline packages). There are a TON of good zone blitzes in the 3-3-5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
MVP

I Peench's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by prd689
Yes, I have quite a lot of success with it if you're playing a spread option team. It doesn't work so well with traditional power teams like the Big Ten. I mean, you can still do decent, but it always seems like the safeties bite a lot more on play action and the TE will kill you.
So with the 4-2-5 you have 5 playbooks.
• Normal
• Okie Across
• Over
• Under
• Under slide
Basically I never run with Okie Across as the alignments are weird and when the CPU audibles it can caused headaches with the AI alignment on your defense.
The staple of this defense is cover 1 in the Over and Under playbooks. Treat it as though it's the 4-3 under and over and make sure your safety is always playing to the strong side of the field. Cover 1 will be your base.
I use the normal package in the redzone. Basically anything 20 yards or lower to the endzone and I pull that out and run thet Bullets DBL A all day.

The hardest part of 4-2-5 or any defense this year is that you almost have to manually control your secondary. In the 4-2-5 you'll use the free safety so you can get in on the majority of pass plays. Your SS's can cover short routes decent and your corners can cover deep but those corners need over the top help.

When you control your FS, watch for how many steps the CPU QB takes and that will determine how deep you need to cover. 3's run up to support the slant, 5's most likely a deep corner route to the sideline, 7's it's usually a all vertical play so watch your corners.

Strafe is your friend. You wont' be in on a lot of running tackles. But if you wiff on a pass it usually means touchdown.

Use the under slide as your deep cover defense. It adjusts your SS deep and will help you in long yardage downs.

If you feel that a screen pass is coming, Max Zone is a great play to nullify a screen.

I don't know what else to add. I'm having a pretty decent amount of success with the 4-2-5 so far. I know that I'm going to give up short yardage and I've accepted that. I just don't want to be beat deep... so I guess this is bend but don't break?
Great info! Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaajunkie
I'm new to the 4-2-5. what are some zone blitzes you like or man blitzes or some good audibles to have? Thanks prd689 for sharing some tips.
I really like Pinch Blitz in the 4-2-5 Over package on short yardage for anything that is 0 to 3 wide receiver sets. You get ideal pressure and since your FS is covering the running back the rush comes so fast you can basically just watch for the crossing route and then switch back to the back if he's running for the flat. You can still get burnt on the flat route, but the idea is that you're always keeping everything in front of you.

Smokes is good for containment if you have people who like to run outside with their QB's or running backs. The pressure doesn't come very fast so your coverage skills have to be pretty decent. But, if it's an obvious run play bring that MLB up close to the A gap.

The zone blitz is really good out of the 4-2-5 under package as well. Switch your ends for OLB's so they will have an easier time covering the flat and dial up some massive pressure.

All in all, this defense isn't a world beater. But, you stick with it, dial up pressure when needed and wait for your opponent to make mistakes.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Ive been experimenting as well, and have found mixed results. I struggle to stop those annoying corner sideline routes, and when I finally do I end up giving up huge plays up the middle (te streaks up the middle).

Is there a specific play in the formation that you guys feel can provide both?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »