Home

Custom Scheduling Help - Bit of a Noob

This is a discussion on Custom Scheduling Help - Bit of a Noob within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
Custom Scheduling Help - Bit of a Noob

I've recently picked up NCAA 14 and it's my first NCAA game for something different after years of Madden. I started a Dynasty as the OC for Army, after already trying to be a DC for San Jose. At the moment I'm merely trying out different set ups, teams, and experimenting around with how best to do things.

Redshirting is new to me, but by generally redshirting any player not likely to see the field, to save his eligibility, I'm doing ok with that I think.

With recruiting, I'm 3/4 weeks in, and getting to grips with that pretty well. Discovering it's hard to crack into the race for a player unless you're there at the start, catch up is tough. I need Guards and Tackles for next season, but after failing to find suitable players (either too poor, or too good and them going elsewhere), I've now found its week 4 or so and even most lower level prospects are out of my reach. All good for the learning curve tho!

My main question is about scheduling though, custom scheduling. I understand I have certain games I have to play, but how best should I shape my schedule?

I see I have a strength of schedule, I presume the higher that is, the better, but the less games I'm likely to win. Is it better to push my schedule strength up and only win a game or 2 tops, or do the opposite and fill out my season playing the worst teams I can find?

As an independent, what Bowl am I most likely to get into as Army?

What sort of goals should I set as a team like Army?

Also, is it better to move to a better conference ASAP? Is this something I can do at the start of any season, or only the start of a game? Or is it better to just not be Army?

Any help appreciated. I love American Football, but I know so little about the college game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Custom Scheduling Help - Bit of a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
Is it better to push my schedule strength up and only win a game or 2 tops, or do the opposite and fill out my season playing the worst teams I can find?
Absolutely do not do the first option. There is absolutely nothing to gain from only winning 1 or 2 games a season, doesn't matter how much the strength of schedule is. You could fill your schedule with a bunch of scrubs and try and have a good record if you want, but for me I always just deal with whatever the CPU randomly generates for me, as I feel that changing the schedule around too much is unrealistic and creates a 'god mode' type of feel to the game.. when all I want to do is play head coach.

Quote:
As an independent, what Bowl am I most likely to get into as Army?
Depends how could you do.. its impossible to tell at the start of the season.

Quote:
Also, is it better to move to a better conference ASAP? Is this something I can do at the start of any season, or only the start of a game? Or is it better to just not be Army?
You can change the conferences around at the end of every season. Being in an elite conference will get you better recruits but the teams will be tougher depending on the conference. You should build your team up to contenders before you move to a good conference.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Thanks for the input. I may well end up binning Army off and going with someone else, I haven't decided. At the moment I'm still enjoying losing. I played both Ball State and Stanford last night, lost to both of them. That rarely happened on Madden when I played that, so it's ideal.

I will leave my schedule as is (I'm into the season anyway, but I mean won't restart my game to tinker), and I'll see what next season's looks like.

Is it a good idea to try and give yourself home games in the last few weeks of the season if possible? The latest I can schedule a visit is week 13 I think, as I'm away on week 14, and 15. I'd imagine week 14 and 15 are pretty good for scheduling visits for recruits?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

Quote:
Is it a good idea to try and give yourself home games in the last few weeks of the season if possible? The latest I can schedule a visit is week 13 I think, as I'm away on week 14, and 15. I'd imagine week 14 and 15 are pretty good for scheduling visits for recruits?
As I said, for me personally, I don't make changes to the schedule. But as far as visits go..

Down by a ton of points? Schedule as soon as possible so you don't get locked out.

Up by a ton of points? Schedule as soon as possible so you can try and lock the other schools out or get him to commit from the visit.

In a tight recruiting battle? Try to schedule as late as possible, usually it will essentially turn into a 'whoever had the most recent visit is #1 on his list' battle, and his #1 team will change every other week while he goes on visits. Getting the last visit would be ideal because it would most likely put you first on his list at the end of the season, or have him commit on the spot since he has no other visits to wait for (sometimes recruits won't commit until they take all their visits). Only risk is that he may commit while on one of those other visits, so be careful.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

More very pleasing feedback.

Final question, how do I successfully ditch the rest of my boring life to find more time to actually play NCAA?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

Quote:
More very pleasing feedback.

Final question, how do I successfully ditch the rest of my boring life to find more time to actually play NCAA?
I don't know man its tough haha

My boss called me last night in the middle of the Sugar Bowl Wyoming vs Michigan State asking me if I wanted to come in and work overtime and I was like HELL NO! I got important stuff to do!
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #7
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

What are the pros and cons of putting a bye week or two, or three, into your schedule?

I see my Army team has a number of "open" weeks in it's schedule

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of putting a bye week or two, or three, into your schedule?

I see my Army team has a number of "open" weeks in it's schedule

Thanks!
There's really no pros and cons its just every team has to have a few bye weeks. If you schedule a visit for a bye week it probably wont go over well with the recruit though, and you wont be able to complete any of the bonus goals like 100 yards rushing for halfbacks etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »