Home

Creating Playbooks

This is a discussion on Creating Playbooks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Creating Playbooks

Creating playbooks is probably my favorite part of the game, sometimes I think I only play dynasty in order to see my playbooks in action. I wish EA would add an online system for creating playbooks, the system in place right now works but it's still something I wish I could do sitting in front of my laptop instead of with my controller. So far this year I've made a spread option, air raid, and currently I have a more traditional tight end and a full back style playbook in the works for my less than mobile pocket passer I've got in the system. How is everyone else's playbook creation going so far in NCAA 14? I wish there were more places to discuss playbook strategy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Creating Playbooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fifty
Creating playbooks is probably my favorite part of the game, sometimes I think I only play dynasty in order to see my playbooks in action. I wish EA would add an online system for creating playbooks, the system in place right now works but it's still something I wish I could do sitting in front of my laptop instead of with my controller. So far this year I've made a spread option, air raid, and currently I have a more traditional tight end and a full back style playbook in the works for my less than mobile pocket passer I've got in the system. How is everyone else's playbook creation going so far in NCAA 14? I wish there were more places to discuss playbook strategy
I totally agree. I always customize my PB but since I usually only do my dynasties with South Carolina, I use their PB as my base and go from there. I take out all the plays that I know I never use and then add in all the shotgun formations I know Spurrier uses. Then I usually just browse and add in plays I want to try out and start running. Usually I'll add more plays after each season. I added a few shovel passes in with the new game but haven't started running them yet. I need to practice them because I think it can be deadly with mobile QB Shaw in the backfield.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
MVP

Chedapalooza's Arena

OVR: 15

Do u guys use ask coach in dynasty? Last year I noticed it would call only a fraction of the custom playbook
WCSU Football '10-'11 WR#87
UCONN HUSKIES Football
D2 Football Coach (receivers) in the PSAC
Old 07-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedapalooza
Do u guys use ask coach in dynasty? Last year I noticed it would call only a fraction of the custom playbook
Nope always call my own plays. Sometimes if I'm in a position to maybe go for it on 4th or go for a 2pt conversion I will ask coach just to see if they agree with how I am feeling. Even then I still go to one of my plays I am most comfortable using in that situation if I do go for it.

I just took over Ohio State in year 4 or 5 of an online dynasty after turning Mississippi State into an air raid school. So I also just finished up a playbook that will take advantage of my pocket passing qb, big TE, and powerful HB with the new school.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fifty
I love this post. I totally agree. I love making playbooks every year for every different style. It is fun, challenging, and improves your overall game. For others who enjoy this, here is an idea for you that a couple of my buddies and I do in our online dynasty.

1.) Each year of the dynasty, we decided to run a different offense and different defense.

2.) We decided to go through four year cycles, and assign what type of playbook to use each year at random.

3.) After a drawing, the results were as follows:

Year 1: Offense = Ace formations only, Defense = 4-3 playbook
Year 2: Offense = Pistol formations only, Defense = 3-3-5 playbook
year 3: Offense = I-Form formations (including strong/weak), Defense = 3-4 playbook
Year 4: Offense = Flexbone/Wingbone/Wishbone only, Defense = 4-2-5 playbook

Years 5-8, re-draw and repeat.

We are currently near the end of year two and it has been a blast. It makes the CPU games more challaning and improves all parts of our games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7

I already have the perfect defensive playbook,
but I'm constantly tweaking my offensive playbook.
I've pretty much abandoned the goalline offense in favor of the Maryland I.
The only Ace formation I use is Ace Big.
I tend to mostly shy away from the WildCat & Weak I.
Other than that, anything goes.
My wish for College Football '15 is to be able to change the names
of plays so I can use my own terminology.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockOchoGOAT

1.) Each year of the dynasty, we decided to run a different offense and different defense.
That sounds really tough on recruiting! I can't imagine going through all those playbooks trying to find schemes that would fit my players, I may lose my mind every off season lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingleberryfinn
I already have the perfect defensive playbook,
but I'm constantly tweaking my offensive playbook.
I've pretty much abandoned the goalline offense in favor of the Maryland I.
The only Ace formation I use is Ace Big.
I tend to mostly shy away from the WildCat & Weak I.
Other than that, anything goes.
My wish for College Football '15 is to be able to change the names
of plays so I can use my own terminology.
I just tried my hand with creating a defensive playbook, probably crazy but I'm hoping maybe the 5-2 can be enough of a curveball for my games against humans to help a bit, my team would have a great front 5.

I actually just added a wildcat formation to my playbook for my previous school. I had a really fast backup QB so I put him out wide to the left and that gave me the ability to put him in motion and hand off to him, have him throw, counter with my HB, or sneak my actual QB in behind center and run a PA. It actually worked out nice in user games.

Also I would love for them to implement some sort of "Playbook Builder" online like the team builder. Maybe if they ever implement a more in depth coach mode...someday

Last edited by Big Fifty; 07-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »