Home

So what speed threshold is "realistic"?

This is a discussion on So what speed threshold is "realistic"? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: So what speed threshold is "realistic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Country
Matt do you guys still get breakaway runs and or kr/pr returns for td's at 95?
Absolutely. Yesterday a PR for a touchdown, today a 42 yard scamper. All done on twitchtv live:

http://www.twitch.tv/matt10l

If you think about it, the 95 thresh makes players tighter and closer together - so blocking is tighter and more physical. You also see more pick-6's and being chased down as much as it happens on zero or even 50.

We tested @ 40 for so long; but pass game was WIDE open. The switch to 95 has not only made coverage tighter - it has made for some nice, hard earned, runs.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #34
Rookie

ajwhawkeye12's Arena

OVR: 2

/thread
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwhawkeye12

/thread
You're crazy. 39 is so much more realistic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #36
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

You'd be surprised what you get with 95, you just need to use the right sliders. You can't just put 95 on your current sliders and expect it to work right.

No, you're not going to run for 20 yards on every single play. If you run an offense the way it's suppose to be run, eventually you'll weaken the defense and break off a big play.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 07-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #37
Banned

OVR: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
You'd be surprised what you get with 95, you just need to use the right sliders. You can't just put 95 on your current sliders and expect it to work right.

No, you're not going to run for 20 yards on every single play. If you run an offense the way it's suppose to be run, eventually you'll weaken the defense and break off a big play.
You aren't seeing linemen that run like running backs?
Old 07-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #38
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob

Yeah, this

Everything is connected to everything else in this game.

Matt's setting is great for his sliders.

Jarodds setting, he uses zero, is great for his sliders

Personally. I'm a normal speed guy. I've found I enjoy games with a threshold anywhere between 20 and 40.

Now, the poster asked about realism, not just what works to make the game play better. Strictly talking realism, it's hard to say unless we can line players up and run 40 yard dashes combine style.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #39
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirdneh132
The one thing I do first, which takes forever, is to manually go in and change almost every single player's speed and acceleration rating to be more realistic. The NFL draft combine times players and there are very few players who run 4.3s, even fewer who run 4.2s so I make sure very few players in the game have 92 and above, I think I have three players total with speed ratings from 97-99. Most linebackers in the draft, even the fast ones generally run in the 4.6 range (again, according to combine measurements) so I make sure most of them have speeds of 81 or lower, etc. I have the speed threshold at about 20. To me this is a way to truly create a more realistic game in terms of speed. The truly fast players in the game stand out more, if they're good.
This is the way to go for play now rosters but as soon as you use this approach in a dynasty, every recruit you sign will be faster than the existing players on your roster. This is why IMO the community rosters decided to stop using the speed chart with their rosters; it just doesn't make for a good blend with incoming recruits the first 4-5 years in a dynasty.

As for the OP, I still am using 0 but am tempted to change it because of too many 10+ yard plays. I hardly ever get a home run play, but I am consistently seeing 7-15 yard runs which is not very realistic.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparrish
This is the way to go for play now rosters but as soon as you use this approach in a dynasty, every recruit you sign will be faster than the existing players on your roster. This is why IMO the community rosters decided to stop using the speed chart with their rosters; it just doesn't make for a good blend with incoming recruits the first 4-5 years in a dynasty.

As for the OP, I still am using 0 but am tempted to change it because of too many 10+ yard plays. I hardly ever get a home run play, but I am consistently seeing 7-15 yard runs which is not very realistic.
7-15 yard runs isn't necc. unrealistic. Who is tackling you? I ask because maybe your run blocking is just too good.

If safeties are tackling you, then changing the speed threshold wont effect that. Safeties and RBs are generally about the same speed. If both players are 88 speed, they will be equally as fast as each other on any speed threshold.

Which is kinda why the person saying moving speed up to 95 will make pass defense better doesn't make any sense. It will make pass defense better if the DBs are slower than the WRs, but if the WRs are slower than the DBs, it will actually make pass defense worse. Just depends on what team you play with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »