Home

Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

This is a discussion on Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtrev
Ben needs to go. He is standing the way of NCAA progressing. Maybe he will prove me wrong but if history is any indicator...

Anyway, I know it's a crazy thought, but what happens now that the NCAA is not licensing the game and the EA contract is up. Wouldn't it be great if there was a grassroots movement among hardcore NCAA players and there was a fan-made game? I know I'm dreaming...

However, since we're doing what if, if I was calling the shots, here is what I'd focus on for next year:

-Gameplay mechanics: Realistic QB throwing motion/accuracy, fumble piles (I know not everyone loves them, slider), stop of forward motion plays whistled dead, pass interference calls, personal fouls, realistic line interaction, make a great o-line make a big difference from a mediocre or bad one. Special teams (what I mentioned in an earlier post)

-Presentation: Everything from College Gameday (Kirk, Desmond, Chris Fowler), Pregame intro video, pregame entrances, pregame breakdown, halftime show, studio updates (with actual plays shown), postgame interview with head coach (if 2k could do it 8 years ago...) to College Football Final (Holtz, May, Davis): Final Verdict, Helmet Stickers. And I know people say, "Well that would get repetitious and I wouldn't want to sit through it." That's why I'd have press A or X to skip. Also, I'm not trying to bring 2K up over and over but it is a good example. That game had so many different lines and variation that it didn't get stale. Plus, with next generation capabilities, this is not out of the realm of capability (look at what developers are able to achieve with Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear 5, GTA, Watchdog, etc. As sports gamers, we need to start having higher expectations). Sorry, a bit of a rant there.

Dynasty: Playoff option. Realistic BCS ranking. Improve the coach carousel to where if LSU goes through a winless season in the SEC, Les Miles could be fired whereas Stoops in his first year at Kentucky, if he goes winless, he is safe because no one expects anything at first (problem I am noticing now). Bring back momentum swings and homefield advantage. Bring back the ESPN mag with your coach or player on it. Bring back player suspensions. Customize rivalries. FCS teams.

*Bonus: College classics. Does anybody remember these games? They were amazing!

Okay, now you can tell me to come back to reality.
What does this even mean?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2013, 03:41 AM   #26
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
Keep dreaming guys. It's not going to happen.

On more than one occasion I've heard Ben say that even though fumbled snaps are realistic, if you lost a close game in the 4th quarter due to a botched snap you'd be screaming that the game wasn't realistic.

With "logic" like that permeating through Tiburon's headquarters, you can forget about things like blocked kicks in NCAA.

Again, it's not going to happen.
This post right here should be enough to end this discussion.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #27
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiohead
Keep dreaming guys. It's not going to happen.

On more than one occasion I've heard Ben say that even though fumbled snaps are realistic, if you lost a close game in the 4th quarter due to a botched snap you'd be screaming that the game wasn't realistic.

With "logic" like that permeating through Tiburon's headquarters, you can forget about things like blocked kicks in NCAA.

Again, it's not going to happen.
I completely agree with Ben. 100% COMPLETELY. A fumbled snap would not make the game better, it would just take control out of the users hands. It would make the outcome of games much more about luck than user skill.

Also, I think that different types of punts is long long over do. There have been spread "gate" style punts i College football for almost 10 years now, and it may even be the most popular style overall these days. If blocking punts was possible, but extremly hard, and there were different punts and punt blocking formations, then special teams could actually be a fun battle of the mind (just like offense and defense).
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #28
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockOchoGOAT
I completely agree with Ben. 100% COMPLETELY. A fumbled snap would not make the game better, it would just take control out of the users hands. It would make the outcome of games much more about luck than user skill.

Also, I think that different types of punts is long long over do. There have been spread "gate" style punts i College football for almost 10 years now, and it may even be the most popular style overall these days. If blocking punts was possible, but extremly hard, and there were different punts and punt blocking formations, then special teams could actually be a fun battle of the mind (just like offense and defense).
When your LT gets beat and you get sacked, that's out of your hands. However, that happens in football.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't muffed punts ALREADY in the game?! Would you get rid of those too since they aren't about user skill.

Everything that happens in the game should not be solely based on user skill. Ratings should also mean something. Unfortunately, they don't seem to mean much.

Muffed punts, blocked kicks, fumbled snaps, penalties - these type of things happen. Therefore, they should happen in the game. Period.

The last time I checked, there were 3 phases of football. But, in EA football games, there seems to be only one: Offense.

Denard Robinson, the same guy on the cover of this years game, scored his first collegiate td on special teams.

Talk about irony....
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #29
Pro

cuttingteeth's Arena

OVR: 14
Location: I live on the road - ghosting servers of family members...haha.

I was a kicker before horrible freak injury pretty much ruined it my Senior year of high school (a freaking scout from Arkansas was in attendance, too).

Anyway, if anything irks me about kicking, it is that they could go so in depth to kicking styles/line ups much in the same fashion of how The Show gives you however many batting stances. There seriously are a variety of ways to line up and kick. More so, there are various trajectories that can be chosen from. Myself, I would marvel at kickers like Louis Zendejas who could just sky-loft a kick in a huge rainbow arc fashion...and then there I was kicking more of a line drive shot like Jeff Jaeger used to do. Not every kicker uses the same approach or hits the ball off the same part of their instep (or uses their instep much at all).

I have noticed that on kick offs, the kicking animation looks about accurate and quite representative. Field goals/xtra points, though, the kicking animation looks completely wrong - their kicking motions look way off. I truly wonder if they've ever mo-capped a kicker before. They should do it to 3 or maybe 5 of the majorly seen different styles out there, at least.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #30
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze88
But a late regular fumble is fine...
Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what the man has said on more than one occasion.

He even repeated that nonsense in of the video interviews about 14.