Home

Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

This is a discussion on Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #41
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Hasn't Special Teams Been Neglected Long Enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrokeu
Nano blitz from the right side. Nano blitz from the left. That's not a "scheme". What's the user skill in that exactly? Being able to look up videos on youtube and hot route players pre snap? We're all very impressed.
I do not Nano blitz. Ever. I will gladly play anyone who wants to play because I enjoy playing a fun, clean game. If I do blitz, it is always a legitimate blitz.

Also, people use the word "Nano blitz" to mean any blitz that has a rusher come free. if you blitz six people and one comes free from the outside, that is not a Nano. That is just simple math.

A "Nano blitz" is technically any blitz that send the pressure up the middle. It is frowned upon in NCAA (including by me) because almost all Nano blitzes in video games are the result of a glitch where a linemen comes unblocked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 1

Decided to play some NCAA 07 and took a look at the playbooks from back then. You had the sky punt, which had the kicking meter already set in a great spot for a high hanging kick. On top of that, you had a fake field goal shovel pass, fake field goal option, fake field goal pitch to the kicker a la LSU, and a fake field goal pitch pass. As for the return team, you had a safe return with essentially a 4-3 defense with both safeties way back, a double cross where the end men on the LOS dropped back and crisscrossed in front of the return man, a punt block where there was stunting on both sides, a return reverse, and a fake return reverse. The cpu return man also went both left and right and was actually hard to stop (instead of straight every time), and punts did not always bounce towards the end zone. Sometimes the snap was high, other times the punter had to jump to the side. And kicks actually got blocked.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #43
Pro

Haze88's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpartans11
Decided to play some NCAA 07 and took a look at the playbooks from back then. You had the sky punt, which had the kicking meter already set in a great spot for a high hanging kick. On top of that, you had a fake field goal shovel pass, fake field goal option, fake field goal pitch to the kicker a la LSU, and a fake field goal pitch pass. As for the return team, you had a safe return with essentially a 4-3 defense with both safeties way back, a double cross where the end men on the LOS dropped back and crisscrossed in front of the return man, a punt block where there was stunting on both sides, a return reverse, and a fake return reverse. The cpu return man also went both left and right and was actually hard to stop (instead of straight every time), and punts did not always bounce towards the end zone. Sometimes the snap was high, other times the punter had to jump to the side. And kicks actually got blocked.
Amazing the step back we made, huh? Look at the trick plays in the regular offenses as well, all gone
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm creating a case file on this game in all area's and the kicking game is one of them.

*First off, I have reduced the kicking accuracy for both User & Cpu to 35 and the power I left at 50. The reason I did this is because I don't feel that 'icing' a premier kicker works anyways unless it's the Boise State kicker from a few years back or if you have a holder like Ray Finkle. And to have a 'perk' called 'Antifreeze' like this is COD 6 to neutralize 'icing' the kicker in the first place seems like a moot point and from a coaching stand point, unrealistic. I have seen the Cpu kicker miss point blank 30 yard fgs numerous times with the accuracy adjustments but unfortunately the accuracy slider doesn't effect the User.
*Secondly, regarding fgs. I also must disagree with the point made that the Cpu kicker doesn't kick fgs when it is out of the kickers range. Like last year, I was sooo tired of seeing the Cpu kicker kick 55+ yard fgs and see the ball barely land after the goal line. This 'bug' if you wanna call it that is still in this game. You would think that the Cpu 'coach' would know the kicking power of his fg kicker by week 3 but I am still seeing them line up for a 50+ fg and embarrassingly have the ball land 10 yards short of the back of the endzone, let alone off target.
*My last point is an interesting one for sure. Try it yourself this weekend. The punting game is a train wreck and one of the most inconsistent parts of the NCAA series. When punting, I always always angle the punt low and towards the sidelines. I'm hoping to have it land just in front of the returners feet and bounce for 15 yards out of bounds. I have this pretty well mastered and have to defend the punt returns very rarely. We're happy for ya! Ok, now to the computers turn. You stop them on their 48 yard line on third down. Here comes the punt team. 9.5 Times out of 10 the Cpu will kick it into the endzone. I'm sure we have all seen this. Now, next time you stop them, go and simulate the punt. Chances are they coffin corner it or your returner fair catches it inside the 20. I started to notice this when I was the DC and I would just simulate until I was on defense. Now I watch all of the Cpu's special team plays. The same will happen if you simulate your punter. Sometimes your punter has better success and I have gotten a few safeties a year when I was DC.
*One more funny 'bug' about punts. When you simulate a punt, the commentators will comment on how you went for it on 4th down. Try it on your turn to punt and the computers turn so you get the maximum experience and some funny line's from Kirk.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by Distilled Air; 08-06-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #45
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Bumping this.

EA, it's time. Actually, it's past time.

I can begrudgingly live without punt blocks and fg blocks.

But, in the name of Devin Hester, please make kickoff and punt returns a part of the game.

When was the last time the cpu returned a kick or a punt? It literally never happens.

Make it happen. Make special teams great again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2023, 02:39 PM   #46
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

On the off chance that a dev is reading this.

In past college football games, you literally could put your controller down after kicking the ball off

I'm not asking for a marvel of engineering. Likewise, I'm not asking for Superman passes nor the Immaculate Reception.

I, we, simply want the third phase of football, special teams, to get some attention.

Imagine a dog fight between LSU and Auburn in Death Valley. Late in the game, LSU takes a punt back to the house. The stadium erupts.

That's college football at its finest.

With the "new" blocking a.i in Madden, kick and punt returns for tds should be a natural part of the game (both for the user and for the cpu).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »