Home

Dumb decision that's costs you the game or injures star player

This is a discussion on Dumb decision that's costs you the game or injures star player within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #57
Rookie

MathisJones's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Dumb decision that's costs you the game or injures star player

Lost Jameis Winston his Junior season the game before Florida, trying to toss a TD that was unnecessary. Then I threw 5 INTs with Coker against Florida & I lost a chance at a National Title.

Jamies came back for his Senior season & won me a championship. I had like 14000 career passing yards with him.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
MVP

weeeeeeez's Arena

OVR: 3

Wasn't my dumb decision but my friends. We were playing against each other in the National title game in our OD and it's the fourth QTR and we are tied at 21. There are around 45 seconds left and instead of kicking a go ahead field goal from around 49 yards he tries to go for it on 4th and 4. He tries to throw an out route and my DB cuts across the WR and I pick it off and take it back for a touchdown. We still talk about it to this day. Was on NCAA 2011.
Chelsea FC
Old 08-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #59
Banned

BigMoneyAllDay's Arena

Heres a dumb decision I made yesterday, I turn the game off while I was loosing because I needed to go to sleep. Now this turns a damper on my dynasty which was going so well. I should of just finished that game..
Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #60
MVP

BDawg35's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm playing NCAA '08 with Eastern Michigan. I'm beating Miami (Ohio) in the final minute by a touchdown. I post dynasty reports, so I'm jotting down notes as Miami takes a snap on its final drive. I let the CPU play defense for me anyway, so no biggie. I have my head down and I hear, "Interception!" I fumble for the controller to control the defensive back on the return. I somehow hit the pitch button. The defensive back pitches the ball back, a Miami wide receiver picks it up and takes it to the house.

Tie game and Eastern Michigan loses after throwing a pick of its own to set up the winning field goal.

Here's my dynasty report from back in the day chronicling the gaffe:

The biggest gaffe in the history of video games goes thusly: Ryan Downard picks off a pass (top left), but inadvertently pitches the ball backwards as he’s being tackled (top right). The ball appears to be intended for Lorenzo Seaberry (bottom left), who is in no position to catch it. It is scooped up by Donovan Potter (bottom right) …

… who isn’t going to be caught once he comes up with the ball, going 69 yards for the tying touchdown with 1:07 left.

CHOKING DOGS!
Hurons snatch defeat from jaws of victory,
blow late lead to Redskins in bizarre fashion

YPSILANTI, Mich. (AP) — Who hasn’t refused to absorb the mild statistical hit by not taking a knee late in a game, only to fumble and fall prey to a miracle comeback?

It’s embarrassing, it pisses you off and you vow never to do such a stupid thing again.

Until you once again tempt fate and get burned by the gremlins lurking within the game’s coding.

Actually, that’s never happened to B-Dawg, but he did produce a choke job of even more epic proportions.

Life was good for the Eastern Michigan Hurons on Oct. 24, 2009 against Miami of Ohio. Quarterback Wallace Stone had just run 12 yards for a touchdown with 1:32 left in the game, putting the Hurons ahead 38-31.

Life got even better for EMU when cornerback Ryan Downard picked off a pass on Miami’s first play from scrimmage following the kickoff.

It wouldn’t last.

B-Dawg had the controller on his lap and was jotting down a note for this dyNASTY report. That’s not unusual, as he generally lets the CPU do his dirty work on defense. However, Downard was returning the ball when he heard Brad Nessler exclaim, “He picks it off and that’s gonna wrap it up.”

B-Dawg quickly fumbled for his controller on the return and accidentally hit the pitch button as Downard was being tackled by receiver Mike Anderson. The ball went backward toward the nearest Huron, who was cornerback Lorenzo Seaberry. Problem was, Seaberry was flat on his back, not in a very good position to catch the pitch. Seaberry seemed frozen in time as the ball laid there forever until receiver Donovan Potter scooped it up.

Well, you know how this is going to end. You don’t have such a catastrophic turn of events and live to tell about it.

Potter ran the fumble back 69 yards for a touchdown to tie the game with 1:07 remaining.

EMU got the ball back, but quarterback Wallace Stone threw his 14th interception in seven games this season on third-and-10. Defensive end Travis Craven dropped into zone coverage and picked off a curl route intended for Dontayo Gage with 33 seconds to go.

Miami got the ball at EMU’s 31-yard line and moved to the 4-yard line before bringing on Trevor Cook on third down for the game-winning 21-yard field goal with 12 seconds remaining.

The Hurons walked off on the losing end of a 41-38 final when quarterback Andy Schmitt, brought in because of his superior throwing ratings, rolled right and went smack into a corner blitz by Jeff Thompson. The clock ticked down before EMU could get off another play.

Has there ever been a worst gaffe in the history of video games?

We think not.

“My bad,” B-Dawg said. “I’ve missed extra points before while holding a pen after taking notes and I’ve let the CPU take care of the play many times without paying attention because of my note-taking. This was the only time I can say it cost me a game. I had no clue what was happening until Ryan was getting tackled. I would typically run the return man toward the sideline in that situation so that if he fumbles, there’s a chance the ball goes out of bounds. I’m sick to my stomach right now. This game was ours and I blew it. It was tough facing those kids in the locker room after the game. We all know who is to blame for this loss.”

If such a debacle were to take place, this was the appropriate setting. There were 11 turnovers in the game, seven by Miami. Weather was not a factor.

“I’ve probably never lost a game when the opponent has made seven turnovers,” B-Dawg said. “It just doesn’t happen. You have to do some truly wretched ish yourself to lose a game when the CPU is handing it to you on a silver freakin’ platter.”

EMU nearly blew the game a little earlier in the fourth quarter. Halfback Greg White fumbled on third-and-five with 3:18 remaining while the Hurons were content to just set up the ball in the middle of the field for a go-ahead field goal. Miami’s Jordan Stevens recovered, only to lose the ball while being tripped up by lineman Ross Petersen. Offensive tackle Dan DeMaster recovered for the Hurons, giving them a first down and a chance to run some more clock and eventually get the go-ahead touchdown a 12-yard option keeper by Stone, capping a 14-play, 71-yard drive.

It was the fourth touchdown of the game for Stone, who ran 13 times for 148 yards. However, Stone threw two costly interceptions. The first was returned 48 yards for a touchdown by Donnie Hardy to put Miami ahead 28-24 with 13 seconds left in the third quarter. Stone made up for it with a 55-yard touchdown run on EMU’s next series. The second deadly interception was Craven’s pick that set up the winning field goal.

“We’ve been able to live with Wallace’s poor passing so far this year,” B-Dawg said. “His running has more than made up for it. Today, it bit us in the butt, but we still should never have given up the tying touchdown the way we did. It was our game. It was in the bag. We let ’em off the hook.”

Both teams are in contention in their respective divisions. Miami improved to 3-1 in the Mid-American Conference and 4-3 overall. EMU is 4-3 overall, 2-1 in the MAC.

The game got a Greatest Game score of 927 points.

PLAYAZ OF DA GAME
Andre Bratton, Miami (Ohio); Wallace Stone, EMU

MIAMI (OHIO) 41, EMU 38
First quarter
EMU: Clay 2 run (Dutcher kick), 3:27
MIAO: Bratton 3 run (Cook kick), 1:06
Second quarter
MIAO: Merriwether 4 run (Cook kick), 4:14
EMU: Dutcher 35 field goal, :31
Third quarter
EMU: W.Stone 1 run (Dutcher kick), 6:51
EMU: W.Stone 1 run (Dutcher kick), 2:57
MIAO: Bratton 10 pass from Raudabaugh (Cook kick), :54
MIAO: Hardy 48 interception return (Cook kick), :13
Fourth quarter
EMU: W.Stone 55 run (Dutcher kick), 7:35
MIAO: Cook 54 field goal, 5:47
EMU: W.Stone 12 run (Dutcher kick), 1:32
MIAO: Potter 69 fumble return (Cook kick), 1:07
MIAO: Cook 21 field goal, :12

Last edited by BDawg35; 08-10-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #61
Rookie

I was playing my best friend in a "friendly" rivalry game of TX vs Oklahoma... Well it came down to a 2 minute drive, I was down 4 so I needed the TD. We
are trash talking each other as I get a decent return out to the 35.

Soon our competitive spirits are out and we are verbally thrashing each other. Run play... I get 7 yards. More trash talk. Receivers are in the play where they run 10 yards and then break towards the sidelines in a 90 degree turn...

Well it worked against him. Time is running out. No huddle, same play. Boom, money. And again. And again. Down to the 10 yard lines, 13 seconds left in the game.

If it's not broke don't fix it, right? I thought I'd get cute and change things up. So hot routes at the line, a little motion here, show a fake play to throw him off...

And the clock expires.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #62
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

Gotta be focused at all time in this game.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #63
Rookie

malowry's Arena

OVR: 3

I've got one.

I was playing through Dynasty mode with Oklahoma in NCAA 07. We had a perfect, undefeated regular season and crushed Kansas State in the Big 12 title game. Our opponent in the national championship game was Ohio State, who also had gone perfect in the regular season. It seemed to be the matchup of the century, and it certainly was.

After three hard-fought quarters, I found myself trailing 21-17. I got the ball with about four minutes left and went to work. I quickly moved down the field, thanks to my passing game, which had finally started to gel against the Bucks' tired D.

I got down to the 20 and decided to get fancy with the playcalling. Instead of a safe inside run or another pass, I called Speed Option to the right from the shotgun. The CPU had me figured out, and they swarmed me as soon as the ball was snapped. I panicked and tried to pitch the ball to my HB, but the CPU linebacker intercepted the lateral and took it 80 yards to the house. Down 11 with two minutes left, I just didn't have the time to make a comeback. Game over. Season over, with nothing to show for it.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #64
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Many years ago before you could have online dynasties, a friend of mine and I were doing a 2 man dynasty on his Xbox. After about 7 seasons of working our coaches up through the ranks, he ended up at USC and I at Texas. We had scheduled our match up for the last regular season week and it turned out we were both undefeated, looking at a potential berth in the National Championship Game. It was virtually for all of the marbles and it got down to the end of the game and he was leading by 4 points. He had the ball on my side of the field, I was out of time outs, and all he had to do was kneel the ball out. However, he had a receiver that was going for the NCAA record for touchdowns and was in the Heisman race, so he got greedy. With about 5 seconds left he called the final play and just figured he would throw it up to the receiver who had been going beast mode all game and worst case scenario it would get knocked down. However, my corner goes up and picks the ball off and time as we knew it came to a stop. I stand up and I think a see a crease. My corner brings it out of the endzone and makes two linemen miss, he stiff arms the quarterback and is off to the races down the sideline. He high steps into the endzone for the win and I went on to hoist the crystal ball at the end of the season. I've never let him live that one down. He just had to go for the record.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »