Home

How to stop 5 wr offense online this year?

This is a discussion on How to stop 5 wr offense online this year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Rookie

BrockOchoGOAT's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: How to stop 5 wr offense online this year?

I prefer to use the 4-2-5, but you can do the following out of any set you so choose.

Find a way to bring pressure. Whether it is a 5 or 6 man blitz, find some blitz that works for you and gets quick pressure on the QB. Have that blitz in a man version and in a zone version.

Then, find a safe man play (like a man with two deep safties and a spy) and a safe zone play (like something with 8 people dropped back into coverage) and run them from the exact same look as your blitzes. In other words, whatever players you move around presnap when you blitz, you must also move around presnap when you don't. Depending on your play and formation preferences, this may require some hot routes.

This strategy is not perfect, but it does cause enough confusion to get about 2 INTs a game from a good spread player. It should also get you a few sacks a game, which will make slowing down your opponent much easier.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like to blitz 6 and have man coverage across the board, sub out my safeties with corners. The pressure usually forces a mistake.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Rookie

The best way to defend it against a user, IMO, is to anticipate where the ball is going.

I've noticed that, no matter what, a user going 5-wide will almost ALWAYS look for the innermost receiver first. And there's a good chance if he goes 5-wide again, the out route is coming (usually from the middle receiver on the "Trips" side).

Also, from what I noticed (mostly online but it can apply to ODs too), a lot of guys are VERY predictable and/or can't read defenses. They will go back to what is working, and what has worked for them. If a curl route got them a 1st down earlier in the drive, and they need another on 3rd down, most likely they're going there again. There aren't too many guys who will keep you guessing online, but more or less, they're gonna throw the same thing at you until you stop it.

Another option is sending pressure. This can be really risky because most guys can recognize a blitz coming and audible to a slant or shorter route. The key is, again, anticipation. If you know the guy likes to throw to that middle receiver, make sure you have a zone covering that. If a guy likes to audible to slants, make a DE or DT drop back, and overload one side. You'll be surprised at how many guys can't handle pressure in their face. (and if you're against a mobile QB, set contain to whatever side he prefers scrambling to - or generally, the open side of the field - and blitz the other side).

Above all else, if none of these does much, then you have to control the game with tempo. Guys who run no-huddle online usually like to score fast and force quick turnovers. Take your time at the line and pick efficient plays, and make sure you have the ball for as long as possible. Almost all of the games I win online, I've at least led in TOP, and it helps if you don't turnover the ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Rookie

TheUFGuy's Arena

5-2 pinch, or cover 1 and blitz the FS. Jam the receivers and play the pass. Some guy started running 5 wide against me so I did that. 10 sacks later he quit. I don't normally stoop to that level but it was obvious he was exploiting the game.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #13
Rookie

TrippyBeaver's Arena

OVR: 4

4-2-5, drop the safeties into deep coverage and blitz one of your LB's on the outside to double team one of the tackles, have the other LB man up to defend the slot. Put your corners on LOS zones to protect first downs. Pressure and solid coverage. You're gunna give up plays but this is your best bet, and if executed properly you should rarely give up first downs. My bdyansty is in Pac 12 so I defend the spread almost every other week, just don't get punked on draws lol. Good luck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »