Home

How has Michigan not retired Charles Woodson's number!

This is a discussion on How has Michigan not retired Charles Woodson's number! within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: How has Michigan not retired Charles Woodson's number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalPhenom
Desmond Howard's #21 was the first number to get a patch. The biggest tradition at Michigan previously was the #1. There's a strong history of top wide recievers and it was very significant to be awarded that number. Braylon Edwards even started a scholarship fund of some sort going to whatever WR earned the #1. Rich Rod nearly ruined that whole thing (like everything else), but I believe it's still in tact.

A couple other schools have similar traditions. Most notable I think is the #44 at Syracuse before they finally retired it.

I don't like retiring numbers, I definitely think they should become traditions, numbers that are earned, not just given.
(Disclaimer: I'm a biased Michigan alum and fan )

It actually goes a step further than mentioned so far. They started the thing with the patches (which I think is pretty cool), but then last year, they also did a weekly thing where a player would "honor" one of the alums by changing his number to that honored number mid-season. For example, Jordan Kovacs was a 4-year safety (and former walk-on) who always wore #32. In the middle of last season, he switched to #11 to honor the Wistert brothers, three brothers who played tackle for Michigan and were All-Americans. They wear the new number and a Legends patch. If they already had that number, they just wear the patch.

Here's some other examples of that:

-- Senior receiver Roy Roundtree is wearing Desmond Howard's No. 21
-- Sophomore linebacker Jake Ryan is wearing Bennie Oosterbaan's No. 47
-- Senior tight end Brandon Moore is wearing Ron Kramer's No. 87
-- Sophomore linebacker Desmond Morgan is wearing Gerald Ford's No. 48

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde..._kovacs_4.html

(Pretty sure Morgan also changed his number from #44 for this reason).

I think it's a cool "new" tradition, but I'm not really big on changing numbers mid-season. It's a little disruptive for fans and on TV who don't keep up with the weekly changes, and identify players by number. But college numbers really should not be retired - not when programs use basically every number from 1-99. You even see duplicates of the same number on offense and defense in a lot of schools.

Michigan also doesn't have a mascot, which is another question I get all the time as an out-of-state fan. (Indiana doesn't have one either, there may be other Big Ten teams that don't). I'd hate if we had a Wolverine/Teddy Bear looking thing running around on the sidelines - that would be just wrong.

Last edited by StormJH1; 08-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
Rookie

cbc72's Arena

OVR: 3

Come on. You can get a Wolverine mascot similar to our Bucky. They'd be like brothers separated at birth and raised to hate each other. :-)

Beats the heck out of the alternative of a live wolverine on the sidelines.

Serious liability issues there.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

I think the reason you saw the number switches mid-season was that this was the initial implementation of the program to honor jersey numbers, outside of the #21 which they did the year prior. They started un-retiring numbers and then honoring the deceased players and their surviving family members with un-retiring ceremonies one at time, as a player, for the first time since the original player, was now going to wear the number. They got the blessing from each of the retired players/retired player's family, before un-retiring the numbers. I think that from now on, those honor-numbers would be in place at the beginning of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
(Disclaimer: I'm a biased Michigan alum and fan )

It actually goes a step further than mentioned so far. They started the thing with the patches (which I think is pretty cool), but then last year, they also did a weekly thing where a player would "honor" one of the alums by changing his number to that honored number mid-season. For example, Jordan Kovacs was a 4-year safety (and former walk-on) who always wore #32. In the middle of last season, he switched to #11 to honor the Wistert brothers, three brothers who played tackle for Michigan and were All-Americans. They wear the new number and a Legends patch. If they already had that number, they just wear the patch.

Here's some other examples of that:

-- Senior receiver Roy Roundtree is wearing Desmond Howard's No. 21
-- Sophomore linebacker Jake Ryan is wearing Bennie Oosterbaan's No. 47
-- Senior tight end Brandon Moore is wearing Ron Kramer's No. 87
-- Sophomore linebacker Desmond Morgan is wearing Gerald Ford's No. 48

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/inde..._kovacs_4.html

(Pretty sure Morgan also changed his number from #44 for this reason).

I think it's a cool "new" tradition, but I'm not really big on changing numbers mid-season. It's a little disruptive for fans and on TV who don't keep up with the weekly changes, and identify players by number. But college numbers really should not be retired - not when programs use basically every number from 1-99. You even see duplicates of the same number on offense and defense in a lot of schools.

Michigan also doesn't have a mascot, which is another question I get all the time as an out-of-state fan. (Indiana doesn't have one either, there may be other Big Ten teams that don't). I'd hate if we had a Wolverine/Teddy Bear looking thing running around on the sidelines - that would be just wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc72
Come on. You can get a Wolverine mascot similar to our Bucky. They'd be like brothers separated at birth and raised to hate each other. :-)

Beats the heck out of the alternative of a live wolverine on the sidelines.

Serious liability issues there.
Take it a step futher. They should call Marvel and see if they will let them use the Wolverine as their mascot. Maybe even have Hugh Jackman be their honorary guest for one of their games.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Pro

movethechains11's Arena

OVR: 0

I like the honoring the players with a patch but if a 3 year all American switches his number to one that is being honored how will they honor him years later?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJNT
Take it a step futher. They should call Marvel and see if they will let them use the Wolverine as their mascot. Maybe even have Hugh Jackman be their honorary guest for one of their games.
Oregon used to have permission to use Donald Duck from Disney...so it could happen...

Sent from Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2013, 01:12 AM   #15

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdawgydawg
I am a diehard USC fan and this baffles me still.

Any Mich fans know the reason?

Sent from Tapatalk
This has nothing to do with NCAA 14.

If you would like to discuss college football we have a separate forum for that.

Please leave this forum for the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »