Home

Defending the QB scramble

This is a discussion on Defending the QB scramble within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #17
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Defending the QB scramble

One of my longstanding issues with NCAA is that sometimes, most of the time in my own personal experience, the spy man doesn't do anything. In madden, I can put a guy in spy and that QB ain't going anywhere, in NCAA, he will kinda sit there, maybe take a step left or right, and any QB with any sort of elusiveness is gonna dust him at the line of scrimmage, just too timid. If scrambling is a huge problem, it is best to do it as the user, which sucks because I control the SS usually and don't like giving up that control just to make up for crappy teammate AI

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

if you are not blitzing you almost have to spy. especially against a man defense.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #19
MVP

GoDucks1224's Arena

Hire a spy.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

The biggest problem I've seen with defending the QB scramble is that (like in years past) my defenders don't react until he's 5-10 yards past the LOS. Even a spy will just stand there until it's too late to do anything but chase. I once watched my MLB who was spying stand nose to nose with the opposing QB because he had approached the LOS but not crossed it. They couldn't have been more than a foot apart. Too much man coverage without using a spy will get you burned often but even playing more zone isn't all that effective because the defenders don't react properly to the play.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Just started!

I just had to turn off my PS3 for a while because of this. I just got beat by somebody who ran the same play (HB Circle, maybe) every play of the entire game. IF you're in any kind of man, he throws the out to the outside receiver(both Ted Ginn). Couldn't stop it, even adjusting to jam with corners whose man coverage ratings are 96 & 97. Switch to zone, QB running with RGIII. I could slow it down, but I could never stop him from getting 1st downs. I checked both DEs into contain & spied with middle linebacker every play he just ran right around the containment, cut back on the pursuit from the spy, and ran for 6-8 yards or more. Every play. For an entire game. The only stop I got was when I made him fumble while he was scrambling. Would double spy work better than trying to use containment? Any thoughts on how to stop this?
I asked the guy why he did it, and he said "I'm not very good and it works."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #22
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

I like to blitz scramblers. Are any of you guys going to strategies at the playcall screeen and switching "contain qb" to aggressive? I don't believe one QB spy should totally shutdown mobile qbs. One of my favorite strategies for years has been to overload blitz one side and DE/OLB contain the opposite side.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTitan
Thanks for all the info guys! Can you audible or make a specific player be a QB spy in any defense, or do you have to specifically pick a defense with a spy already included? Like say, if I pick a Cover 2 zone, can I make my MLB spy the QB even though the play isn't designed that way?

Thank you!
I use this card for my audibles, etc. It's for ps3, adjust accordingly for xbox. The QA box in the bottom right is the quick audibles, one of my favorite features on the new game.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot Routes Card.jpg (107.9 KB, 52 views)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »