Home

Difficulty: Do you want tough games or not care?

This is a discussion on Difficulty: Do you want tough games or not care? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #33
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Difficulty: Do you want tough games or not care?

If I don't get a tough game it isn't fun for me. The cpu has to be dangerous on offense for me to even be interested in playing.

I like realism, and ratings to matter, but at my core I am a challenge over all else kinda guy

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #34
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

My most enjoyable season's have been the ones were I go 7-5 and have to scratch and claw my way the whole season just trying to qualify for one of those mid December scrub bowls.

I don't mind overachieving a little bit, but if I am playing with a cupcake team, and we are 10-0 and in the National Championship picture I begin to lose interest. When that happens, it doesn't feel like college football any more......it feels like a video game....and it is back to the Sliders. Ugh

This is an interesting thread. I have also raised an eyebrow in the past when posters discuss the realism they are looking for within the game, then they go on to mention that they have won 3 straight NC's with their Sunbelt team.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #35
Rookie

gatorsinRENO's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
My most enjoyable season's have been the ones were I go 7-5 and have to scratch and claw my way the whole season just trying to qualify for one of those mid December scrub bowls.

I don't mind overachieving a little bit, but if I am playing with a cupcake team, and we are 10-0 and in the National Championship picture I begin to lose interest. When that happens, it doesn't feel like college football any more......it feels like a video game....and it is back to the Sliders. Ugh

This is an interesting thread. I have also raised an eyebrow in the past when posters discuss the realism they are looking for within the game, then they go on to mention that they have won 3 straight NC's with their Sunbelt team.
I think what it is is that most of the gamers here also play Madden (I do not, I don't like the pro game AT ALL), so we shouldn't be expecting low scoring games. College football is very offense-minded, and scoring is increasing because of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #36
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9

In short, yes I like tough games.

I do like a bit of a challenge. I think that if the CPU team is within +-2 rating either way, then the game should be a one-score affair, and I should win with a strong effort. If I play really well I'll win by 10.

That usually happens, but sometimes I'll play a team that's 10 better than me, and they definitely give me all I can handle, but too often I come back winning in the end. But finding the right level and sliders is difficult. Varsity is way too easy. All-American gives a decent challenge but I still win about 80% of my games unless I play Eastern Michigan against Notre Dame. If I set it to Heisman it's near impossible.

Sometimes I notice that "I" play a lot better defensively when I super-sim than when I'm actually playing the down, even if I'm not controlling defensive players.

So still looking for that sweet spot.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #37
Banned

BigMoneyAllDay's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75
In short, yes I like tough games.

I do like a bit of a challenge. I think that if the CPU team is within +-2 rating either way, then the game should be a one-score affair, and I should win with a strong effort. If I play really well I'll win by 10.

That usually happens, but sometimes I'll play a team that's 10 better than me, and they definitely give me all I can handle, but too often I come back winning in the end. But finding the right level and sliders is difficult. Varsity is way too easy. All-American gives a decent challenge but I still win about 80% of my games unless I play Eastern Michigan against Notre Dame. If I set it to Heisman it's near impossible.

Sometimes I notice that "I" play a lot better defensively when I super-sim than when I'm actually playing the down, even if I'm not controlling defensive players.

So still looking for that sweet spot.
Super sim is just too easy. The offense barely scores. Makes being a OC too easy.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:10 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think that maybe we'll get a chance to see starting next year what can be done with the AI, if there is a willingness on the part of dev team(s).

The major limit, an understandable one at that, is the technology of the platform...PS3 & Xbox360. Quite simply these are ancient pieces of technology that simply lack the processing horsepower necessary to create a more realisic and engaging p v cpu game.

I will say that there are some pretty bad logic routines that seem to have been overlooked for several releases now...like needless timeouts, not putting in 2nd teamers when the game is out of control, needlessly going for it on 4th down...that could be pretty simply cleaned up.

I'd like to see a more realistic gameplay experience. What I mean is that if a team has a burner at wideout and in the kick return game, you have to build a gameplan around that with bracket coverages (and their tradeoffs) and kicking non-returnable balls. If a team has a standout pass rusher, you're probably not going to be running a lot of 5 and 7 step drop passes, nevermind roll or sprint out to that side. And you probably aren't going to be calling too many audibles in places like the Big House or running a big air attack in bad weather.

/2 cents

"What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death"
-Dave Barry
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #39
MVP

canesfins's Arena

OVR: 17

I don't mind a couple blowouts but if If the CPU plays poor multiple games I get annoyed I like a real challenge, that's why I use the challenge heisman sliders on this site. I don't mind losing a tough game especially if I'm an average team.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #40
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyAllDay
Super sim is just too easy. The offense barely scores. Makes being a OC too easy.
I'm currently playing as OC for Army, end of year 2 Navy put 61 points up on me during super sim lol

Clearly I need your super sim DC!

Last edited by Rumplebeanskin; 08-05-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Spelling

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »